St Johnstone v Livingston - Saturday 2nd April

R.B.B:- Adz

21 hours ago, Cagey said:

That car park is an accident waiting to happen(know it wasn't an accident) They used to announce for cars to stay in car park til crowd dispersed.They need to take a bit (1car space away) off car park and create a pedestrian only path.

A fenced path should have been there from the time the stadium was built. 18 feet all the way up would do. The car park now is not working as well as it used to.

Not sure what's going on with Ciftci, he looks massively unfit and was struggling to get up and down the pitch before we even reached half-time. Don't really get why we're persisting with starting him in games when we have so many options up front.

Didn't see the incident outside the ground but can only echo what others have said about the exits from the stadium feeling unsafe for people on foot (although it's always been like that). There's so much available space along that Crieff Road end of the land and yet they designed the ground with these two narrow little gateways with no pavements provided for pedestrians. I also think that whole section of the Crieff Road should be closed at full-time when there's a match on.

16 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Not sure what's going on with Ciftci, he looks massively unfit and was struggling to get up and down the pitch before we even reached half-time. Don't really get why we're persisting with starting him in games when we have so many options up front.

Didn't see the incident outside the ground but can only echo what others have said about the exits from the stadium feeling unsafe for people on foot (although it's always been like that). There's so much available space along that Crieff Road end of the land and yet they designed the ground with these two narrow little gateways with no pavements provided for pedestrians. I also think that whole section of the Crieff Road should be closed at full-time when there's a match on.

Ciftci was well off the pace all game; he still has wee touches here and there but he's clearly miles away from being match fit. Maybe CD wanted to keep continuity and play a winning team two weeks in a row. 

I see Martindale continues to catch flack for his comments; he seems an unpopular chap but I apportion a lot of this to his west coast colochliasm and past indiscretions. I always think he's pretty fair in his after match summary. When we beat them at Livi early this year he commented; 

"I thought we might go on to get a winner but fair play to St.Johnstone - they wanted it badly and took their chance when it came."

Again on Saturday he was disappointed and rightly so about the hand ball incident and reflected on how poor refereeing costs teams.

We certainly caught a break on Saturday and were due a rub of the green after some of the decisions against us this season. We really need VAR but the cost implications are huge.

40 minutes ago, garydavidson said:

Would the penalty incident even have happened if the ref had rightly reduced Livi's player count? I certainly think we got away with one but at the same time they shouldn't have had a full compliment of players so it balanced out in this match :)

This is a very fair point and of course is one which is being overlooked by Martindale, who's not commented once that Livi got a massive break since Penrice should of been of the pitch for the last half an hour. That's not to say that it wasn't a penalty to them, but if Clancy does his job correctly at all times then they're a man light and probably not playing in the same manner.

2 hours ago, SaintJet said:

Ciftci was well off the pace all game; he still has wee touches here and there but he's clearly miles away from being match fit. Maybe CD wanted to keep continuity and play a winning team two weeks in a row. 

The other strikers must be really bad if they can't get in the team ahead of Ciftci.

I would expect Saints to go with one up front against Celtic and Ciftci doesn't have the engine for that or a number 10.

May can run but no more . When he came on on Saturday he must have ran the length of the pitch 4 or 5 times but not sure if he ever touched the ball.

Edited by Cagey

2 hours ago, Widge said:

This is a very fair point and of course is one which is being overlooked by Martindale, who's not commented once that Livi got a massive break since Penrice should of been of the pitch for the last half an hour. That's not to say that it wasn't a penalty to them, but if Clancy does his job correctly at all times then they're a man light and probably not playing in the same manner.

Agree Penrice should have been given a second yellow card.

After that, who knows?

Taking a totally impartial and fair minded view of Martindale's penalty I am not convinced that Clancy got it wrong.  Cleary tripped and his hand movement was intended to break his fall, a natural thing to do.  Saw a similar incident on MOTD a few weeks ago where no penalty was given even after VAR had a look.

Martindale's comments after the game annoyed me.  He has no business putting words into the mouths of Saints' players.  Also there was a seagull sitting on my car in the car park and he/she did not think it was a penalty.

4 hours ago, south inch said:

Taking a totally impartial and fair minded view of Martindale's penalty I am not convinced that Clancy got it wrong.  Cleary tripped and his hand movement was intended to break his fall, a natural thing to do.  Saw a similar incident on MOTD a few weeks ago where no penalty was given even after VAR had a look.

Martindale's comments after the game annoyed me.  He has no business putting words into the mouths of Saints' players.  Also there was a seagull sitting on my car in the car park and he/she did not think it was a penalty.

But you must remember he told everybody that he had played the game at every level, which is on a level of lies to match Gordon Ramsay’s career at Rangers.

19 hours ago, south inch said:

I totally agree with this. My assumption at the time was that the ref didn't award a penalty because Cleary was in the process of falling over when the ball struck his arm and there was nothing he could have done about it. I had a read of the handball rules on the FIFA website at the weekend - admittedly they're not easy to follow and seem worded in ways that are open to multiple interpretations, but I didn't see anything that suggested conclusively to me that the ref got it wrong.

3 hours ago, Cagey said:

Two players crocked in the game but Callum says in post match interview ,he has no problem as that's the way he likes the game played :confused:

It’s a weird quote and for the lads in the dressing room to be hearing that from their manager who isn’t showing too much empathy towards his injured players.

injuries occur that’s footy but I’d rather hear him say we are all totally gutted for the lad etc 

14 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I totally agree with this. My assumption at the time was that the ref didn't award a penalty because Cleary was in the process of falling over when the ball struck his arm and there was nothing he could have done about it. I had a read of the handball rules on the FIFA website at the weekend - admittedly they're not easy to follow and seem worded in ways that are open to multiple interpretations, but I didn't see anything that suggested conclusively to me that the ref got it wrong.

Best one I remember was Michael Duberry at McD being tackled in our penalty box and falling on the ball. He assumed he was getting a free kick and picked up the ball with both hands. Swiftly followed by putting it down again when he realised he wasn't getting anything. Referee luckily couldn't see as Duberry facing the stand.

7 hours ago, Rob said:

Best one I remember was Michael Duberry at McD being tackled in our penalty box and falling on the ball. He assumed he was getting a free kick and picked up the ball with both hands. Swiftly followed by putting it down again when he realised he wasn't getting anything. Referee luckily couldn't see as Duberry facing the stand.

Didn't quite pick the ball up, but definitely put at least one hand on the ball, with the ref looking at him, before playing on. Very strange moment indeed. Here's a video of it, skip to 1:34, oh and turn down the sound if you aren't interested in listening to celtic fans.

Edited by mike_gain