Sign in to follow this  
Templar Saint

Head of Recruitment

Recommended Posts

Steve Grieve has left the building and posted this:

I’ve left my role as Head of Recruitment at St. Johnstone Following a successful January window where we signed several players to improve the team for now and beyond, the team is in a good place I’m looking for new opportunities and will resume online work
 
So who are future targets down too?
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonder if this comes down the well publicised issues behind the scene with player signings and the management. Eetu etc. 

Maybe CD wanting to bring his own players in? Who knows. Certainly a lot more going on than that statement suggests 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure we actually need a separate role for head of recruitment. Given other management roles have been created recently, not surprised to see him leave and wouldn't be surprised if the role isn't filled.

The actual players that have come in haven't exactly been a ringing endorsement of the role either. You could argue that the likes of the Finn and Bair etc haven't seen enough game time....Mahon, slightly different due to McCart's improvement since the winter.

The lack of planning when Kerr and McCann left are also big issues....whether that was down to HoR or others, no idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rik2304 said:

The tragic power struggle between Davidson and Grieve had to give eventually. 

Unfortunately it may have damaged the club for a long time to come.

This Summer is huge, no matter what division we're in, club simply have to nail about 4 or 5 signings if we lose Clark, Rooney, McCart, Craig and Hendry. 

I don't trust that with Davidson at all, but we now have no choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Templar Saint said:

Steve Grieve has left the building and posted this:

I’ve left my role as Head of Recruitment at St. Johnstone Following a successful January window where we signed several players to improve the team for now and beyond, the team is in a good place I’m looking for new opportunities and will resume online work
 
So who are future targets down too?
 

Not sure if he can claim January signings are a success. Out of about 10 signings only about 2 are getting any  game time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Callum in courier saying Bair and Manon are long term assets with big futures. They have had the time to acclimatize to Scottish football :laugh:(what,sitting on the bench ?.).

He also said on Saints TV more or less that he was proud that he had 5 players sitting in the stand that couldn't get in the squad on Saturday. Paying for 30 + players with 5 not able to get on the bench is something to be happy about ?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Cagey said:

Not sure if he can claim January signings are a success. Out of about 10 signings only about 2 are getting any  game time.

Have to agree. We desperately needed firepower in January so we went out and signed three strikers. We're now one game away from the split and none of those three strikers have scored a goal, and two of them haven't even started a game. Add in the other new players not getting much game time and the whole Eetu situation and I think it's fair to say recruitment hasn't been our strong point of late.

It really feels like Davidson never wanted a recruitment person in the first place, which is ironic because Tommy Wright made a lot of noise about wanting one but was never given one.

Regardless of what league we end up in, I worry a lot about how this summer's recruitment will go. At this stage I just have no faith in the club to successfully replace key players like Zander and Hendry. And if Steve Grieve isn't replaced, then I'd say that puts extra pressure on Davidson to find the right players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever way you look at it, the squad is a total mess: too many players not getting a game, key players out of contract, no sensible way of integrating players into the first team. In a sense, if we stay up this season, I'm more worried about what will happen next.

I have no evidence for this, but I think Davidson's plan was to sign lower league players from England he knew, perhaps on loan with the hope of them signing permanently. I think the was the idea with McNamara, Olaofe, Muller, etc. Not a bad method, but it didn't work out.

Grieve was looking into foreign market, trying to unearth a gem - Bair, for example. 

It looked like Davidson's method was failing, so we went with the second one instead. For whatever reason, Davidson doesn't rate (or doesn't want to play) some of the players he's been given. Reports indicate that Bair looks incredible in training, yet doesn't get a game.

When you're struggling, I'd much rather look to players like Hallberg - from the teams above us that just aren't getting a game, having the luck they need, whatever else. I'd much rather see tried & tested players in this division than youngsters on loan or unknowns from abroad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As most would observe, Saints are an extraordinarily well run club, and have been for decades.  The current set up delivered a cup double, and as recently as August had Saints going toe to toe with Galatasaray and very unlucky not to progress. However the closing days of the transfer window found the model wanting, and as a result the team on the park have been struggling all season.  Give credit to the club for giving the previously successful structure  an decent opportunity to get it right, and now they have swiftly taken action to restructure on time for next season.  
 

Good luck to those leaving, and more so to those coming in!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Linky said:

When you're struggling, I'd much rather look to players like Hallberg - from the teams above us that just aren't getting a game, having the luck they need, whatever else. I'd much rather see tried & tested players in this division than youngsters on loan or unknowns from abroad.

I'm not against bringing in unknowns from abroad, as sometimes they can add something a bit different to the team. But if the manager's going to refuse to play them on the basis that they're not used to the Scottish game, it becomes pointless. It's not only a waste of time and money on our side, but is completely unfair on the players who we're uprooting.

Agree with you about looking more at players like Hallberg who are on the fringes of teams above us in the league. I also think we should be looking more at consistently performing players from the Championship, as that approach served us very well with Rooney and McCart.

I'd also like to see us look at English non-league as there are some very good young players down there who have been ditched by the academies of the bigger clubs and could be more realistic targets than guys earning much bigger salaries higher up the English leagues.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smarmy Arab said:

As most would observe, Saints are an extraordinarily well run club, and have been for decades.  The current set up delivered a cup double, and as recently as August had Saints going toe to toe with Galatasaray and very unlucky not to progress. However the closing days of the transfer window found the model wanting, and as a result the team on the park have been struggling all season.  Give credit to the club for giving the previously successful structure  an decent opportunity to get it right, and now they have swiftly taken action to restructure on time for next season.  
 

Good luck to those leaving, and more so to those coming in!

Disagree. The club is a mess just now. All the hard work done by Tommy Wright, which Davidson benefitted from hugely last season has been chucked almost entirely.

Sandy Clark MKII. There's been a clear disconnect in the transfer/contract policy and the lack of planning around Kerr and McCann is embarrassing. 

Edited by rik2304

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, rik2304 said:

Disagree. The club is a mess just now. All the hard work done by Tommy Wright, which Davidson benefitted from hugely last season has been chucked almost entirely.

Sandy Clark MKII. There's been a clear disconnect in the transfer/contract policy and the lack of planning around Kerr and McCann is embarrassing. 

Not really disagreeing Rik, in fact I think we are agreeing. The structure that failed so spectacularly this season (as you say unable to navigate the transfer window with late bids for key players) is being revamped, with key personnel leaving and new personnel recruited.  It would be a bigger worry if nothing changed for next season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Smarmy Arab said:

Not really disagreeing Rik, in fact I think we are agreeing. The structure that failed so spectacularly this season (as you say unable to navigate the transfer window with late bids for key players) is being revamped, with key personnel leaving and new personnel recruited.  It would be a bigger worry if nothing changed for next season. 

The problem is it's not revamped now though. The HoR is away. We can only speculate as to why but I think most folk can figure it out. 

So if we're relying on Davidson then it's gonna be crocks with a reputation he trusts or totally raw youngsters that have been recommended by his mate Gary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, rik2304 said:

The problem is it's not revamped now though. The HoR is away. We can only speculate as to why but I think most folk can figure it out. 

So if we're relying on Davidson then it's gonna be crocks with a reputation he trusts or totally raw youngsters that have been recommended by his mate Gary.

I’m hopeful that he panned the loan idea when all the youngsters went home to be honest.

 

It’s always going to be trial and error for a new manager and he got so lucky with Danny Mac last year, I can understand why he went down that route this summer.

 

The key is not to repeat the same mistakes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Smarmy Arab said:

As most would observe, Saints are an extraordinarily well run club, and have been for decades.  The current set up delivered a cup double, and as recently as August had Saints going toe to toe with Galatasaray and very unlucky not to progress. However the closing days of the transfer window found the model wanting, and as a result the team on the park have been struggling all season.  Give credit to the club for giving the previously successful structure  an decent opportunity to get it right, and now they have swiftly taken action to restructure on time for next season.  
 

Good luck to those leaving, and more so to those coming in!

Have tae agree Smarmy , however "it's not over till the fat lady sings" .

Can you recommend anyone.:laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Have tae agree Smarmy , however "it's not over till the fat lady sings" .

Can you recommend anyone.:laugh:

I think Saints will be alright in the end, Dee are DOON!  Saints will handle the play off, or maybe catch St Mirren. Lots of points to play for.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rik2304 said:

The problem is it's not revamped now though. The HoR is away. We can only speculate as to why but I think most folk can figure it out. 

So if we're relying on Davidson then it's gonna be crocks with a reputation he trusts or totally raw youngsters that have been recommended by his mate Gary.

Not completely revamped, but a couple of big changes happening, probably more to follow before the close of the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could we look at it from a different point of view?

Maybe Grieve is completely at fault for bringing in all these diddies and Callum (perhaps rightly) thinks/knows he could do a better job?

Or have I woken up with my blurry rose-tinted gecks on this morning?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Shibbydoo said:

Could we look at it from a different point of view?

Maybe Grieve is completely at fault for bringing in all these diddies and Callum (perhaps rightly) thinks/knows he could do a better job?

Or have I woken up with my blurry rose-tinted gecks on this morning?

More or less my take on it. The bot seemed more intent on promoting his own side business, software and watching YouTube clips. Totally seemed to phone the job in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this