Celtic v St Johnstone 9/4/22

andrew

27 minutes ago, templeofsaints said:

Just to add to it we've got another game against Martindale's thugs to come now as well.....no doubt the refs will be trying to even that up.

Plus Hibs and Aberdeen whose managers will be on very sticky wickets if they don't show any better form by the end of the season.

19 minutes ago, rik2304 said:

Cautious Callum is a park the bus merchant and we can still get done for 7.

He is an ultra - ultra defensive. He sets us up to be solid and to defend. Celtic’s movement and tenacity was outstanding, but what a disappointment. Our players, especially at the back, looked to take a touch but before they could get a second it was taken off them. Left at 5. When is CD leaving? We can’t defend our way to safety or to promotion. Things were grim at times under TW but this has been a hard shift to watch this season. Utterly dreadful.

LI watched this in a bar in Fuerteventura watched the first half and thought Celtic were very good rather than us being very bad. Some stupid goals to lose and I decided to move  indoors to watch the second half along with Hearts v Hibs, Aberdeen v Ross County  and a Livi supporting family watching their game on a phone. Every team above us is catchable with Aberdeen and Hibs particularly bad at the moment. I do think it is possible for us to catch at least one of the teams above us speaking personally I hope it’s Livi.

Edited by ejksjfc
Speling mistaik

Celtic are a great team full of guys getting paid more per week than our whole team. They attack & don't worry too much about defending which they don't have to worry about against a team like Saints under Davidson whose team average 1 shot on target per game.

2 hours ago, templeofsaints said:

Just to add to it we've got another game against Martindale's thugs to come now as well.....no doubt the refs will be trying to even that up.

Would rather it was Motherwell as they are as shite as us.

2 hours ago, Saintdunc said:

How many other teams have lost 7-0 to Celtic this season?

We are in a bad place and spiralling  towards somewhere far worse but will it end there?

The team sheet looked horrendous and so it proved to be.

Total Capitulation and without leadership.

How much more are we expected to take, Callum?

I don’t see what Middleton brings to the team. I know what Callum(and some fans) THINK he brings to the team, but how often does he actually produce it?

Ditto for Stevie May.

A demoralising defeat just when we' had a bit of momentum going into the 5 matches which will decide our fate. Dundee coming back from 2-0 down to get a point still leaves them 5 points behind us. However our goal difference advantage over them dropped from +12 to +5.  Hopefully Rangers will dump St Mirren.

Poor defending for the first 2 goals.

Celtic were on fire.

Watching sportscene , from a piss poor camera angle , 7th goal may have been offside :laugh:

Move on , 5 more games to play.

Followed Saints for long enough to see the ups and downs.

That's football.

First 2 goals were preventable. Once you go 2 down so early to a free flowing team like Celtic you are on a hiding to nothing. Angi Post******* would not allow them to take their foot off the peddle. Too many passengers. Middleton,May McPherson, Crawford ,Bair etc etc. McCart & Booth having shit games. Are Booth and Brown fit after long lay offs ?. Mahan must be shit if he can't get in this team..

I remember we took a 7_0 from Rangers at home a few years back then went on a run . Fingers crossed. Mind you we had a decent team.

Angry and deflated at that. It was pathetic. A performance that encapsulated the personality of our manager. 

Folk will point to the battering we took there under the previous manager but, whilst I will never make lengthy excuses for losing 7-0, the two defeats by that scoreline at Celtic Park are very different in my opinion.

Yesterday was a disgraceful performance with absolutely nothing to cling to. I don't even trust this manager and group of players to give us a reaction. 

The opening day defeat a couple of seasons ago came after a bad, injury-hit summer that Tommy Wright got very wrong. Duffy and Vihmann were so far below standard but a major contributor was the performance of the goalkeeper, who had one of his worst days and one that set the tone for the next 18 months unfortunately. At least four of the goals were from outside the box and should have been dealt with better.

A glimmer of light came out of that game though in the second half performance of Ali McCann. Tommy Wright took the opportunity to offer a young player some minutes. Callum Davidson left John Mahon and Charlie Gilmour benched to bring on Jacob Butterfield because he had friends in the crowd. 

More important than staying up or going down, from a purely football point of view, is getting rid of this manager and his collection of sub-standard dross. We've played 41 games this season, I reckon he's got a performance out of the team in about half-a-dozen of them. 

Change needed and there is an argument it should be right now because you need to look at it longer-term. Staying up or going down with this manager. Are we not just delaying the inevitable? And are we really better placed come, say, October, if we scrape survival and let him work his magic over the summer? 

And in terms of what could go wrong if we sack him now, if this group are so behind the manager that we definitely won't get a bounce, then they are doing a good job of disguising it. The player that has really stepped up since January is that one that wants to stick it to Callum Davidson.

Surviving via the play-offs won't be a cause for celebration if it just leads to more of the same going forward. 

Supreme optimists like me thought there was a chance Celtic would be complacent yesterday on the back of the OF result.  Unfortunately Ange made sure there was no chance of that.

On the other hand from his post match comments Callum appears to have slipped into the old " no point worrying too much about games v the ugly sisters" attitude which crops up from time to time in Scottish football.  So 7 - 0.

I still hope we survive the play-offs, can't see Callum lasting to the end of August if he even makes it through the summer.

4 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

Angry and deflated at that. It was pathetic. A performance that encapsulated the personality of our manager. 

Folk will point to the battering we took there under the previous manager but, whilst I will never make lengthy excuses for losing 7-0, the two defeats by that scoreline at Celtic Park are very different in my opinion.

Yesterday was a disgraceful performance with absolutely nothing to cling to. I don't even trust this manager and group of players to give us a reaction. 

The opening day defeat a couple of seasons ago came after a bad, injury-hit summer that Tommy Wright got very wrong. Duffy and Vihmann were so far below standard but a major contributor was the performance of the goalkeeper, who had one of his worst days and one that set the tone for the next 18 months unfortunately. At least four of the goals were from outside the box and should have been dealt with better.

A glimmer of light came out of that game though in the second half performance of Ali McCann. Tommy Wright took the opportunity to offer a young player some minutes. Callum Davidson left John Mahon and Charlie Gilmour benched to bring on Jacob Butterfield because he had friends in the crowd. 

More important than staying up or going down, from a purely football point of view, is getting rid of this manager and his collection of sub-standard dross. We've played 41 games this season, I reckon he's got a performance out of the team in about half-a-dozen of them. 

Change needed and there is an argument it should be right now because you need to look at it longer-term. Staying up or going down with this manager. Are we not just delaying the inevitable? And are we really better placed come, say, October, if we scrape survival and let him work his magic over the summer? 

And in terms of what could go wrong if we sack him now, if this group are so behind the manager that we definitely won't get a bounce, then they are doing a good job of disguising it. The player that has really stepped up since January is that one that wants to stick it to Callum Davidson.

Surviving via the play-offs won't be a cause for celebration if it just leads to more of the same going forward. 

I understand the need for pragmatism, but not season long negativity. At what point do folk decide it’s not worth going as the entertain value is as close to zero as it can get?