Dundee v St.Johnstone - Saturday 23rd April

R.B.B:- Adz

3 hours ago, Cleveland-Saint said:

Sangs brought something to the game

Sang made a difference. Was getting up the wing & puting some good crosses in until Davidson told him to get back.

Might have won that game if we didn't have such a negative manager. Mind you we may have lost it if we hadn't defended deep.

Pretty poor. We just have no plan going forward. The 3 centre-backs just knock it around between themselves, and then kick it up the pitch and out of play. Same all season, but nothing is done about it. We really miss Kane, who can hold it up and bring others into play. Booth was doing his best to get forward, but there is no outlet for him. We were lucky with our goal and they actually looked slightly better than us for much of the game.

Correct. Not buying into this "point gained" nonsense. They were there for the taking second half and Callum shat the bed and told them to go defensive when we could have pushed on to win that game. Ironic that the manager says the players showed courage, when the exact opposite came from him 

1 hour ago, Linky said:

Pretty poor. We just have no plan going forward. The 3 centre-backs just knock it around between themselves, and then kick it up the pitch and out of play. Same all season, but nothing is done about it. We really miss Kane, who can hold it up and bring others into play. Booth was doing his best to get forward, but there is no outlet for him. We were lucky with our goal and they actually looked slightly better than us for much of the game.

Ultimately the defenders had very little option. Crawford and Hallberg pretty much pushed wide close to the wing-backs leaving Davidson alone on the middle of the pitch. We are crying out for a McCann or Millar that looks to come short and try to keep possesion. The fact Davidson can't see something so simple is worrying.

Did anyone notice 4 policemen surround a youngster who had been stopped because he had a half bottle of ‘Buckie’? It looked like he was about to be arrested for underage drinking! He was on the phone to his mum trying to prove he was over 18! Thought that it was a bit heavy handed for this sort of misdemeanour! Maybe it’s just me? He wasn’t causing any bother and was only wanting to support his club? Got me thinking would the force have been as heavy handed with the old firm? I suspect not.. sadly 

15 hours ago, MySpazz said:

Zero quality in first half.

Lucky Dundee didn't have enough to kill the tie.

A point a lucky point!

Beat St Midden and we're "safe".

Agree!! The question is, if we stay up, what do we do for next season?

Kane comes back in for Ciftci and Wotherspoon comes in for Crawford. Assuming both return to their pre-injury form(not a given at all), we are then probably a 10th - 7th placed side. Is that it?

If we stick with Davidson, and Davidson sticks with his “philosophy” unless we unearth an Ali McCann or a Jason Kerr, we are in for another dire dire season of 0-0, 1-0 matches.

13 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Kane comes back in for Ciftci and Wotherspoon comes in for Crawford. Assuming both return to their pre-injury form(not a given at all), we are then probably a 10th - 7th placed side. Is that it?

If we stick with Davidson, and Davidson sticks with his “philosophy” unless we unearth an Ali McCann or a Jason Kerr, we are in for another dire dire season of 0-0, 1-0 matches.

Best we can hope for is to escape relegation and that the double plus the "turnaround" tempts another club in for him. 

I suspect that in football circles...the proper fitba men, his reputation is intact because he was "helpless/blameless" for this season as his best players were sold at the last minute.

AND the chairman brought in a STATISTICIAN who has never played the game to sign players.

23 minutes ago, rik2304 said:

Best we can hope for is to escape relegation and that the double plus the "turnaround" tempts another club in for him. 

I suspect that in football circles...the proper fitba men, his reputation is intact because he was "helpless/blameless" for this season as his best players were sold at the last minute.

AND the chairman brought in a STATISTICIAN who has never played the game to sign players.

It's surprising the fact that non of the pundits are saying he should get the bullit. Nice you most of them just see 4 minutes excerpts every week.

I wanted Callum to get the job. I never criticized them when they never got results in the first part of last season but this season has been terrible and he is unwilling to change things.

Now he is blaming the players for sitting back late in the game when it it was him going manic on the sidelines telling them to get back. He even sent one of his trainers behind the goal to stop the wing back going forward. Have no respect left for him for blaming the players for his tactics. This passing along the back is also down to him not the players.

46 minutes ago, Cagey said:

It's surprising the fact that non of the pundits are saying he should get the bullit. Nice you most of them just see 4 minutes excerpts every week.

I wanted Callum to get the job. I never criticized them when they never got results in the first part of last season but this season has been terrible and he is unwilling to change things.

Now he is blaming the players for sitting back late in the game when it it was him going manic on the sidelines telling them to get back. He even sent one of his trainers behind the goal to stop the wing back going forward. Have no respect left for him for blaming the players for his tactics. This passing along the back is also down to him not the players.

Gave this a miss for the last 24 hours as there was no use wasting my time reading negative stuff. Do you actually ever give the opposition any credit what so ever. 

And in saying the manager is negative and shat it etc we get the same stuff from you for the last year. I thought Dundee went to try and get the goal as a draw was useless to them,. We could have went for it and not defended and then you would have been on moaning about him being tactically inept. We had more posession, more shots on and off target more corners etc, 

Overall a win would have been great but a point does up a lot more than them.

4 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

All i ask is to be in the top division. 
Everything after that is a bonus. 
We are not a big town or club.
We are a good town and a great club.

MON THE SAINTS

10 hours ago, mainstand said:

Gave this a miss for the last 24 hours as there was no use wasting my time reading negative stuff. Do you actually ever give the opposition any credit what so ever. 

And in saying the manager is negative and shat it etc we get the same stuff from you for the last year. I thought Dundee went to try and get the goal as a draw was useless to them,. We could have went for it and not defended and then you would have been on moaning about him being tactically inept. We had more posession, more shots on and off target more corners etc, 

Why was Middleton not brought on instead of Butterfield. At that point, Dundee had to go for the win, yet we bring on a central midfielder instead of a guy with the pace to do damage on the counter 

3 minutes ago, Pat McGroin said:

Why was Middleton not brought on instead of Butterfield. At that point, Dundee had to go for the win, yet we bring on a central midfielder instead of a guy with the pace to do damage on the counter 

Given that Butterfield was not used I am not sure what you mean. He brought on McPherson for Crawford if that is the substitution you mean. 

4 minutes ago, mainstand said:

Given that Butterfield was not used I am not sure what you mean. He brought on McPherson for Crawford if that is the substitution you mean. 

In my defence, I’d had more than a few jars on Saturday, but yes, making a like for like midfield sub was the point I was making.

Game was crying out for some pace to try and get in behind Dundee at that point to actually win the game. 

Only saw the first half. Orthodox Easter here and wife booked us a weekend away. Delighted when I saw the result after the first half performance. Going to be a half full guy and say that's us into the playoff at least, as I can't see Dundee winning 2 of their last 4 games.

2 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

In my defence, I’d had more than a few jars on Saturday, but yes, making a like for like midfield sub was the point I was making.

Game was crying out for some pace to try and get in behind Dundee at that point to actually win the game. 

But what you are suggesting is that at a crucial point in the game you give them an extra man in midfield and hope that they alter their system to adapt to a more attacking forward. McPherson is more attack minded in my view than Ali so you culd say it was a like for like or even slightly more positive substitution. If he had taken off Crawford of Cifti and put on a sitting midfielder like Butterfield then you would have had a point. 

On 4/23/2022 at 9:47 PM, SlickDT said:

Ultimately the defenders had very little option. Crawford and Hallberg pretty much pushed wide close to the wing-backs leaving Davidson alone on the middle of the pitch. We are crying out for a McCann or Millar that looks to come short and try to keep possesion. The fact Davidson can't see something so simple is worrying.

This has been a massive problem for us ever since we lost McCann and Bryson from the middle of the park and I'm convinced it's one of the key reasons why we are where we are. I've seen the back three take some criticism for just passing the ball amongst themselves before hoofing it up the park, but what else are they supposed to do? The player positioned in front of them on Saturday was Murray Davidson and he was showing zero interest in moving into space to receive the ball from the defence. There were times I was watching him when the back three had the ball, and he wasn't even looking at them. Hallberg and Crawford both showed some initiative at times by coming back to receive the ball themselves, but all that does is reduce the number of players we have going forward.

Add that to the fact that we persist in only playing defenders in our wide positions, and it's really not hard to see why we have such problems building effective attacks and ultimately scoring goals. What I find flabbergasting is that the manager has done basically nothing about these issues. I'm convinced that with just a couple of significant tactical changes to the way the team is set up, this same squad would be comfortably around the mid-table positions. Instead, we wasted a pile of money during the transfer window on multiple players who are either instructed to play in the same way as the guys they've replaced, or don't play at all.

I'm not sure I can be arsed watching another season of this. It costs too much money. One thing I am sure of is that we're going to see a huge reduction in season ticket sales over the summer if there's no change. Maybe that's the one thing the board actually needs to see happen to give them a wake-up call.

On 4/22/2022 at 8:37 AM, blueheaven said:

Have to say though I very rarely watch these 'as live' games. Unless the game is an absolute classic, I struggle to think of anything more boring than watching the full 90 minutes of a game I already know the score of.

It takes some will power and I need to let my mates know not to message me, but I enter news blackout mode from 3 pm so I can watch without knowing the score. Will be doing it again this Saturday for the St Mirren game.

14 hours ago, mainstand said:

I did say at the end of my first post we may have lost if we hadn't defended deep.

Have to also give Davidson credit for taking off Cleary"who was having a mare" and bringing on Sang at wing back and moving Rooney to RCB. Has he accidentally found the right combination there with Sang being a decent wingback and Rooney able to fulfill the Kerr role.  The question is will Davidson stay with it.