Sack the Manager?

Shibbydoo

Sack the Manager?  

137 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, MySpazz said:

Where's the sack the manager crew today?

MTS

I was pleased for Callum last night and he deserved a bit of good fortune after the season he's had.

I still think it would be best if he moved on; we can't pretend the months of negative football and some really poor managerial decisions didn't happen. If I was him I'd take a break - his stock would still be high and a number of clubs would take a chance of him when he came back with a nice looking CV even if the reality was different. He's a smashing honest guy and should be held in high esteem in Perth.

Will he go? NO chance and I fear that if we have a poor start to the season the fans will turn on him big time - he has no wriggle room.

Jim Goodwin at Aberdeen will get three months and if he doesn't make serious inroads to a better product for a rabid Dons fan base he'll be gone - I just wonder If Callum will outlast him?

Edited by SaintJet

This has been a long and very disappointing season. Thankfully we eventually came out staying in the top league.

We now need to get behind Calum and seeing how poorly we recruited at this time last year hope that we get things right before the start of the new season and get going from the off.

We need apparently a new top keeper, also help in midfield and upfront.

If we can get these right then we will be fine.

The final table actually shows that if we had not had that long losing run then Aberdeen for one would have been in big trouble.

Lets get behind the team and forget this season. I for one look forward to a return to good times.

If we are talking about the season as a whole. Certainly it was a disappointing Scottish Cup campaign, but League Cup we got to the Semis albeit we went out by a dodgy goal in what was a lack lustre performance. We have the European games, the great away results and the close to full stadium atmosphere to look back on. As for the league, amongst the most unexciting football we've seen from Saints in a while with very few highs. The playoff final at least gave us something. It's been a bit of a roller coaster season. Would we swap all that for a mid table nothing to shout about season. It's surely what football is all about, highs and lows. Had we been relegated then it would have been the worst season in a long time.

The football, (as a spectator who watched every match on stream) has been dire all year. Not entertaining at all, that's the truth, and we were almost relegated. We need to be careful that the exuberance of those last two glorious goals and fun night out doesn't cover the cracks we have all painfully felt. But like others have said all along, he ain't going anywhere, so I hope he has learned from this and can improve as a manager and bring some better football to the club.

To be fair " not like me" we had a lot of injuries and poor refereeing decisions but over 2 seasons we have scored very few goals , shots on target or even shots off target.

We can't be asked to watch or support that again and don't see Davidson changing so am afraid I think he should go.

Zander and Hendry saved us this season, and they're both going to be offski.

Recruitment's been terrible. It's not clear to me how much Callum is to blame here, but he definitely has some responsibility.

When he joined, he told us that he chose a style of play to suit the players he had: Kerr, McCann, Wotherspoon, in particular. Either that was a lie, or he's too stubborn to change. As a result, the football's been dire to watch all year.

Something needs to change, or we're going to be fighting relegation again.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

To be fair " not like me" we had a lot of injuries and poor refereeing decisions but over 2 seasons we have scored very few goals , shots on target or even shots off target.

We can't be asked to watch or support that again and don't see Davidson changing so am afraid I think he should go.

Gee cagey that was almost positive :wub:

I'm prepared to give Callum the summer and the first round of games.

If we see no changes in his style of management, his tactical awareness, his signings or his adaptability, it's time to go. 

But I've softened my stance a little admittedly, but only temporarily.

Things haven't changed by Oct, we still have plenty time and a transfer window to sort it out 

No way does he deserve a full season in charge unless things improve drastically.

18 minutes ago, Shibbydoo said:

If we see no changes in his style of management, his tactical awareness, his signings or his adaptability, it's time to go. 

Things haven't changed by Oct, we still have plenty time and a transfer window to sort it out 

No way does he deserve a full season in charge unless things improve drastically.

Would it not be too late if he makes another raft of torrid signings? 

I think Monday night has clouded a lot of minds.

59 minutes ago, Shibbydoo said:

And what happens if he brings in more signings that are no guid, new guy won't have any money to bring in more and Jan signings picking are poor.

He's staying, so let's just hope he gets this transfer window spot on and has found a way of playing that brings out the best from what he has.

For me the first couple of signings he make will either restore some confidence in him, or destroy it completely once and for all.

27 minutes ago, sixties saintee said:

And what happens if he brings in more signings that are no guid, new guy won't have any money to bring in more and Jan signings picking are poor.

This would be my worry too. We've seen from this past season that if you find yourself in a position of needing to make big changes in January, it's very, very difficult to get quality in. And I'm not sure the board would be willing or able to fund a second consecutive big January to try to get us out of trouble.

Agree with @RandomGuy though - there's no chance he's suddenly going to get punted now, so we need to just pray he has something up his sleeve for this summer and beyond. If the first couple of signings are youngsters on loan from Millwall or similar, it'll look like we're going back down the same route as before and there's going to be a lot of unrest among the fans.

Let’s just hope he can pull one or two from left field which sets us up for a great summer window, 

No Clark, Hendry, Rooney, Middleton and to be able to find replacements of similar quality on our wage budget / structure it will definitely go down as the greatest window known to man

COYS

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

He's staying, so let's just hope he gets this transfer window spot on and has found a way of playing that brings out the best from what he has.

For me the first couple of signings he make will either restore some confidence in him, or destroy it completely once and for all.

I actually think the last window brought a little bit of hope, although I still don't trust CD in that regard. Anyone that thought Crawford was worth a long-term deal has alot of proving to do . Hallberg is a great addition. Gallagher and Mahon look like they can be decent. Bair is impossible to tell.

I'd guess now CD is in full control of identifying players, we are more likely to go for the tried and tested as opposed to the likes of Eetu, Bair or Melamed.

Edited by SlickDT

Hi, new poster here, been going to saints games since I was 12 in 2008 to see a 1-1 draw with Dundee with my uncle, we still talk about Saints and he tells me I'm lucky to have seen them have runs in Europe and at the top of the Premier League and obviously the 2 cups last season were an a highlight. 

I'd hate to see Davidson get sacked, it's been a disastrous season obviously, the Mccan transfer and even Jason Kerr's just felt so deflating after the high of a cup double. We've not been impressive this season at all and its a wonder we even scraped into the playoffs. Personally it seems too soon to me to sack the manager, I mean who would really come into replace them. There's a danger we'd be another Scottish Football club under the rotation of Malky McKay/Mark Mcghee/Neil Mccann/Jack Ross/John Hughes. Davidsons is if nothing else firmly a St Johnstone man.

Anyways, above all that, it's just been a relief to keep the run in the top flight going. 

28 minutes ago, JollyBoyJohn said:

Hi, new poster here, been going to saints games since I was 12 in 2008 to see a 1-1 draw with Dundee with my uncle, we still talk about Saints and he tells me I'm lucky to have seen them have runs in Europe and at the top of the Premier League and obviously the 2 cups last season were an a highlight. 

I'd hate to see Davidson get sacked, it's been a disastrous season obviously, the Mccan transfer and even Jason Kerr's just felt so deflating after the high of a cup double. We've not been impressive this season at all and its a wonder we even scraped into the playoffs. Personally it seems too soon to me to sack the manager, I mean who would really come into replace them. There's a danger we'd be another Scottish Football club under the rotation of Malky McKay/Mark Mcghee/Neil Mccann/Jack Ross/John Hughes. Davidsons is if nothing else firmly a St Johnstone man.

Anyways, above all that, it's just been a relief to keep the run in the top flight going. 

Welcome to the forum :)

8 hours ago, Shibbydoo said:

Monday has papered over the cracks for you clearly! This guy isn’t going to change his style of management or tactics. This what he has learned, believes is right, and all he knows.

When our talismanic right back Rooney was racing through on goal to score a fourth and send our fans into delirium, what was Callum doing???? SCREAMING at him to get back and flapping his hands up and down as if Rooney was some sort of maniac. No wonder Rooney has bolted to the nearest pish that would take him. Miles away from a manager that stifles his talent and eagerness.