Sack the Manager?

Shibbydoo

Sack the Manager?  

137 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, JollyBoyJohn said:

Hi, new poster here, been going to saints games since I was 12 in 2008 to see a 1-1 draw with Dundee with my uncle, we still talk about Saints and he tells me I'm lucky to have seen them have runs in Europe and at the top of the Premier League and obviously the 2 cups last season were an a highlight. 

I'd hate to see Davidson get sacked, it's been a disastrous season obviously, the Mccan transfer and even Jason Kerr's just felt so deflating after the high of a cup double. We've not been impressive this season at all and its a wonder we even scraped into the playoffs. Personally it seems too soon to me to sack the manager, I mean who would really come into replace them. There's a danger we'd be another Scottish Football club under the rotation of Malky McKay/Mark Mcghee/Neil Mccann/Jack Ross/John Hughes. Davidsons is if nothing else firmly a St Johnstone man.

Anyways, above all that, it's just been a relief to keep the run in the top flight going. 

That’s an odd mix of names for managers. Mackay has been manager of only one Scottish team, only had a year in post, and has been hugely successful in that role. Not saying I’d want him as manager but he’s hardly the same as the likes of John Hughes.

I’m not sure I get the argument of ‘why sack a manager when someone worse might be appointed’. If someone is failing in their job, and the team is doing badly, the answer is to appoint someone better.

The point is, Davidson has spent a large chunk of the season with ultra negative tactics, blaming the players for results, telling the fans the club don’t have a right to be in the division. He was given a large budget and brought in a lot of very poor players. He spent much of the season applying for every other job that moved (hardly showing that he’s firmly a Saints man), and the management team fell out with a player who could’ve been key to our success.

To me he’s shown poor tactics, poor transfer dealings, poor man management with players. He has little grasp of budgets (the man went bankrupt not too long ago) or PR. Other than it would cost a decent chunk to sack him, I can’t see what reason there might be for keeping him.

17 minutes ago, Old Lethamite said:

Linky, do you actually believe that St Johnstone have a right to be in the top division?

Linky doesn't take a challenge too well, so be ready for their ad hominem. 

St Johnstone have no right to anything.

Where we are, where we have been, what we have done, is incredible and achieved by stability of ownership and long term decisions on players, backroom staff and financies. So sacking a manager is not part of that. 

A manager whose apprenticeship only really finished when he got the job, having done his training in support of our other great manager TW, with placements in England and the Scotland National Team!

Honestly, show us another manager out there with his CV.

25 minutes ago, MySpazz said:

Where we are, where we have been, what we have done, is incredible and achieved by stability of ownership and long term decisions on players, backroom staff and financies. So sacking a manager is not part of that. 

Our current run of success was literally started by the club sacking a club legend halfway through their contract because they had us in a relegation battle...

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Our current run of success was literally started by the club sacking a club legend halfway through their contract because they had us in a relegation battle...

Thought you meant Totten but you're a bit younger than me. 

Anyway the Browns can make a decision when they have to. Geoff anyway. This is probably the closest Steve has had to think about it.

2 hours ago, Old Lethamite said:

Linky, do you actually believe that St Johnstone have a right to be in the top division?

Nope. No one has a right to be in any division. The point is, the manager was using this as a way of defending the poor performances this season. Making a comment like this publicly was about damage limitation for him.

1 hour ago, MySpazz said:

Linky doesn't take a challenge too well, so be ready for their ad hominem. 

St Johnstone have no right to anything.

A manager whose apprenticeship only really finished when he got the job, having done his training in support of our other great manager TW, with placements in England and the Scotland National Team!

Correct .

gav Stewart has a CV.

he’s crap at picking sides for 5s mind

13 hours ago, Linky said:

I’m not sure I get the argument of ‘why sack a manager when someone worse might be appointed’. If someone is failing in their job, and the team is doing badly, the answer is to appoint someone better.

100% agree with this. I find it absolutely baffling the number of people I've seen come out with an argument along the lines of "we shouldn't sack Davidson because who would we get to replace him".

You don't stick with failure because you're scared of getting worse. You make a proactive change to make things better. St Johnstone would be a very attractive club to a lot of young managers and if Davidson was to go we'd be inundated with applications. People have seen the potential this club has, the stability it provides and the platform it's given managers in the past.

To me it's incredibly odd that people think so little of Saints to think that if Davidson was to leave we'd be left with no better choice than to scrape the bottom of the John Hughes/Mark McGhee/Neil McCann barrel. It's a long, long time since we've gone for that sort of appointment (arguably we never have) and I very much doubt that it will suddenly become the club's strategy in the future.

12 hours ago, MySpazz said:

This is actually one of the things I find most frustrating about Davidson. His CV is fantastic. There's absolutely no doubt about that. He's played at a very high level under some brilliant managers; he's coached all over Scotland and England, including at international level; he's worked in both the higher leagues and the lower leagues so you'd assume his contacts must be superb. And yet we don't really see any sign of any of that showing through in his signings, or his ideas, or his tactics. And meanwhile a club like Livingston, whose manager has barely any football CV at all, seems to be better than us at identifying and attracting players and has just finished comfortably above us in the league. 

19 hours ago, Linky said:

I feel like Craig being given a coaching role is so Cleland has an assistant if/when Davdison leaves. I imagine Craig will be very good his new role, and am very pleased the club is keeping him when there were rumours of a move to Falkirk.

Cleland will not be the next Saints manager. 

Think we should close this thread as Brown doesn't have the balls to change things and now we have stayed up and we are not having to watch eye bleeding football every week ,support for Davidson on here has now grown to almost 20%.

49 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Think we should close this thread as Brown doesn't have the balls to change things and now we have stayed up and we are not having to watch eye bleeding football every week ,support for Davidson on here has now grown to almost 20%.

Brown wasn’t going to sack him regardless, I don’t think. 

On 5/28/2022 at 12:19 PM, Cagey said:

Is it not contradictory to say that the chairman does not have the balls to sack the manager whilst at the same time saying the majority want him sacked.  Surely the one thing you need in order to stand up to the fans and back your own decision is balls.