60 minute stop clock

dunblanemike

On 5/6/2022 at 7:44 PM, dunblanemike said:

The bbc have an article outlining the time a ball is in play among EPL games. It is less than 60 minutes!

should games instead be timed by a stop clock, as in basketball and other sports? My first thought is this is a good idea. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61342349

Think this idea would put a stop to time wasting at play acting, at goal kicks and throw ins.

Players have caught on to the idea that when defending corner kicks, if they hit the deck after clearing or contesting the ball, claiming a head injury, the Ref. will stop play, thus gaining a chance to regroup when play resumes.

Certainly something to examine seriously.  The article shows some games where the ball is only in play for 45 minutes or so.  I wonder if a similar analysis is available for Scottish games.

Mind you how long would games take if time only counted when the ball was in play?  Even assuming players bucked their ideas up you could be looking at close on 2 and a half hours.  Perhaps a reduced "ball in play" time of 75 to 80 minutes would have to be considered.

45 minutes ago, south inch said:

Certainly something to examine seriously.  The article shows some games where the ball is only in play for 45 minutes or so.  I wonder if a similar analysis is available for Scottish games.

Mind you how long would games take if time only counted when the ball was in play?  Even assuming players bucked their ideas up you could be looking at close on 2 and a half hours.  Perhaps a reduced "ball in play" time of 75 to 80 minutes would have to be considered.

Realise that subs could be used, but how many players would fancy playing 2 and a half hours?

1 hour ago, south inch said:

The article suggested 60 minutes