Coyle in the Tully

101 Saint

Is he right?  

149 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

OC is quoted on page 26 of the nights (Wednesday) 'Evening Telegraph' saying, "Their (Partick) second goal killed us but there was a foul on our keeper. It was another major decision that has cost us but that's been our story on the road in the league. Big decisions have gone against us away from home."

Discuss.....

Football managers always try this ploy of blaming referee's etc when it looks like they are going to take criticism from elsewhere.

Unfortunately for OC he has failed this season despite the fantastic cup runs as winning the league has to be our priority.

I disagree. I think we have been poor away from fortress McD recently, but I don't see how OC can be blamed for this unless the criticism is from a motivational aspect. He has signed good quality players - proven by the cup performances - who are often under-performing. He is a good talker, a winner, a man of many connections and a young guy who has potential to learn even more. I am glad he is here and on a long-term deal.

I predict he will be poached before he is out of contract and that we shall be sorry to see him leave.

I think that this is unfortunately one excuse too many from Coyle.

The form away from home this season has been shocking, and yes, decisions go against teams, but to be a goal down in the first place, to a team that we were never out of second gear against just two days before is what killed us, not a dodgy refereeing decision.

Now is the time for Coyle to be honest with the fans and just admit that the players are either knakered (which we can see) and he should have rotated them a bit more, or that some just didn't give enough in some games, in which case he should have dropped them. Either way, he has to accept some blame himself, and stop looking for excuses. I will have a lot more respect for him if he holds his hands up and admits that he cocked up.

I don't get the impression that OC is making that many excuses. It's very hard to tell because the papers don't necessarily report everything he said and, of course, they are more likely to pick out the more controversial (e.g. blaming the referee) bits.

I think it is important to know how OC and team consider 'luck'. It's all very well explaining poor results as 'bad luck' but it's how you react to this that is important. If you consider fate to be against you in some sort of cosmic conspiracy then you aren't going to feel in control of things. However, if you susbscribe to the view that 'you make your own luck' then you might go into your next game with much more determination to ensure that luck goes for you - after all, you can't get a lucky break on a penalty decision if your players haven't penetrated the box with the ball at their feet (sorry - that's just another way of saying you've got to be in it to win it!).

A famous sportsperson (golfer I think) said something along the lines of "the harder I practice, the luckier I get". I think this is what OC should get across to his players - train hard, put the effort in on the pitch and 'lucky' decisions/events will happen.

Coyle's starting to annoy me. I expect him to come out and tell us that the players are not doing enough and he expects more from them. I expect him to tell us he has made mistakes and is making every effort to resolve them on the training ground.

All we hear is excuses - well I for one am not listening anymore. Sort it out Coyle - ITS YOUR JOB!

I don't get the impression that OC is making that many excuses. It's very hard to tell because the papers don't necessarily report everything he said and, of course, they are more likely to pick out the more controversial (e.g. blaming the referee) bits.

I think it is important to know how OC and team consider 'luck'. It's all very well explaining poor results as 'bad luck' but it's how you react to this that is important. If you consider fate to be against you in some sort of cosmic conspiracy then you aren't going to feel in control of things. However, if you susbscribe to the view that 'you make your own luck' then you might go into your next game with much more determination to ensure that luck goes for you - after all, you can't get a lucky break on a penalty decision if your players haven't penetrated the box with the ball at their feet (sorry - that's just another way of saying you've got to be in it to win it!).

A famous sportsperson (golfer I think) said something along the lines of "the harder I practice, the luckier I get". I think this is what OC should get across to his players - train hard, put the effort in on the pitch and 'lucky' decisions/events will happen.

Good post 8)

Herts