The Big Summer Transfer Window 2022 Thread

tucker

2 minutes ago, byebyedundee said:

I think Rooney could've done far better rather than going to Fleetwood, Anyhooo good luck to himhe's a man on a mission

Pretty sure the Scott Brown factor would have had a massive impact. We all know how big a Celtic fan Rooney is. 

Not too far down the road from Glasgow either. 

34 minutes ago, tucker said:

Don't think we'll get any of the lads resigned good luck to them all but we really need to improve our contract extensions policy it's very very poor letting all these players leave for nothing

Would like to think all those going into the last year of their contracts would have been offered contact extensions. If not someone needs sacked.

Disappointing to lose Rooney, his return after injury and the mad enthusiasm he brought probably kept us up.

I'm wondering if we'd had a better season after the cup double, how many players would have signed extensions or just signed up again. There's the obvious money aspect, we're never going to compete with other, even English Div 1 clubs for wages, and I don't advocate we break the budget for any player.

My concern is how many out of contract guys will be motivated to leave simply because they don't want another season under CD. His ability to turn a game has got to be one of the most frustrating and depressing things about being a player at McDiarmid - the first leg against ICT is a perfect example - they play a system that's negative beyond belief and actually manage to get two goals up before the manager steps in and takes that all away with two "tactical masterstrokes". Add to that, they see the quality of the guys being brought in - journeymen, loanees and guys that just aren't of sufficient quality. That must send a message to the players about the ambition the club has and how much they are respected as players themselves.

If, as suggested above, Middleton isn't likely to come back, not commenting on his ability at all, he's had probably the best 18 months of football in his career at Saints, he clearly isn't wanted at Ibrox, yet indications are that he doesn't want to come back here.

The fact that Xander was being linked with Dundee Utd and Aberdeen - again, not fantastic, more sideways moves, but how much of this is down to just not wanting to be in a side that appears to be on the wane and suffering from mismanagement on and off the park and a clear lack of investment. With the exception of Hallberg, who looks a class act, how many of the January signings would have made the Cup Final squads (never mind the starting 11)? Or, indeed, look at them against the pre CD teams.

It feels that, off the park, success has been taken for granted and making sloppy, easy decisions can be overcome. The truth is that once you've had success, you've got to work twice as hard to maintain that as you become the team that everyone else wants to beat. We haven't done that, we've been lazy and taken the easy way out in most of the things that have beeen done, and that's showed in performances on the field and the players that don't want to stay, whatever their reasons.

Our first signing in the new window will be critical - it'll show the support the club's intentions - whether they recognise their previous errors or if we're just happy to plod along with another season of dull, negative, just get by football. It'll also show the players how the club sees the future.

Loved watching Rooney. He had a frustrating season (as did the whole team) but was always a warrior on the pitch for us and there were times when he absolutely terrified opposition full-backs. In some ways I think he could be the hardest player to replace, as a full-back/wing-back who can have that sort of impact on a game and score so many vital goals is really a one-off. He was really the only reason left for us to cling on to our much-criticised wing-back system and now that he's gone I worry even more about us sticking with it.

Just on Middleton - I don't really see anything in his Tweet that says whether or not he'll be coming back. At the moment he probably has no idea where he'll be next season - he'll have to go wherever Rangers send him. Remember we went through exactly the same stuff with Middleton last summer and he ended up not re-signing until the season had already started. Personally I'd be happy to see him brought back as he can impact a game on his day, and towards the end of the season he was building up some good form, but he really needs to do it more regularly. Either way, with Rooney gone and MOH often not playing, we desperately need to add some pace to the squad this summer.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

Loved watching Rooney. He had a frustrating season (as did the whole team) but was always a warrior on the pitch for us and there were times when he absolutely terrified opposition full-backs. In some ways I think he could be the hardest player to replace, as a full-back/wing-back who can have that sort of impact on a game and score so many vital goals is really a one-off. He was really the only reason left for us to cling on to our much-criticised wing-back system and now that he's gone I worry even more about us sticking with it.

Just on Middleton - I don't really see anything in his Tweet that says whether or not he'll be coming back. At the moment he probably has no idea where he'll be next season - he'll have to go wherever Rangers send him. Remember we went through exactly the same stuff with Middleton last summer and he ended up not re-signing until the season had already started. Personally I'd be happy to see him brought back as he can impact a game on his day, and towards the end of the season he was building up some good form, but he really needs to do it more regularly. Either way, with Rooney gone and MOH often not playing, we desperately need to add some pace to the squad this summer.

In all honesty Middleton is never going to get into that Rangers squad and with them chasing European Champions league qualifying they will be gambling on big money signings which will push him further down the pecking order. 

as for right wind back a player with pace and atatcking flair that can get up and down the line all game - O'Halloran??

47 minutes ago, mainstand said:

In all honesty Middleton is never going to get into that Rangers squad and with them chasing European Champions league qualifying they will be gambling on big money signings which will push him further down the pecking order. 

as for right wind back a player with pace and atatcking flair that can get up and down the line all game - O'Halloran??

O,Halloran has been tried at RWB a few times but Dundee at home was the only time it worked. Don't see him as the answer and should be told he can go if he can find a club.

14 hours ago, Cagey said:

Would like to think all those going into the last year of their contracts would have been offered contact extensions. If not someone needs sacked.

Everyone who we wanted to keep would have been offered an affordable (to Saints) contract. 

36 minutes ago, Cagey said:

O,Halloran has been tried at RWB a few times but Dundee at home was the only time it worked. Don't see him as the answer and should be told he can go if he can find a club.

I'm not sure why you're so eager to get rid of him. With Rooney and Middleton gone he's pretty much our only player left with any pace. I don't see him as the solution to RWB but think he still has plenty to offer going forward, but it's up to the manager to get the best out of him and play him in his best role.

39 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I'm not sure why you're so eager to get rid of him. With Rooney and Middleton gone he's pretty much our only player left with any pace. I don't see him as the solution to RWB but think he still has plenty to offer going forward, but it's up to the manager to get the best out of him and play him in his best role.

Mikey needs the correct pass no good giving it to him in the air get the ball in behind the defence on the deck turn the defence and make it a foot race Worked well for before Rangers wasted him. 

1 hour ago, mainstand said:

Mikey needs the correct pass no good giving it to him in the air get the ball in behind the defence on the deck turn the defence and make it a foot race Worked well for before Rangers wasted him. 

As with  May but we have a manager who does not play to players strengths and persists with tactics that don't work.

3 hours ago, mainstand said:

Mikey needs

Mikey needs 4/4/2 or 4.3.3  ie 3  up front where he can play wide without overlapping wing bacjs fighting for the same space Tavernier did it at Rangers and Rooney did it here. In CD formation he can only play the number 10 behind the front 2 but CD has given that role to Crawford.in Spoonys absence Hence why I said I could not understand why CD gave him a new contract

20 hours ago, Pat McGroin said:

Pretty sure the Scott Brown factor would have had a massive impact. We all know how big a Celtic fan Rooney is. 

Not too far down the road from Glasgow either. 

Downside of that is Scott Brown's sunny nature.  If he doesn't get Fleetwood up the table a bit he might not last too long and we could see the bold Shaun back on loan.

Will be interested to see if we have learned lessons from last summer with our recruitment.  Rooney, Clark and Hendry will be difficult to replace and we will have surely have known them plus Mccart will be away.  I think I read someone on here saying they worked with the club on recruitment last season so I'd be interested to hear if they refused the advice and decided loan players were the way to go.

MOH and Middleton can leave as far as I'm concerned.  I can't remember who it was out bid to sign them on again last summer (St. Mirren or United?) but I certainly felt we've been stung.  

I'm still hoping Davidson either walks or is sacked.  Preferably walking away without a relegation and the good feeling of the cup wins.  If he stays he'll be gone before Xmas.  Hope he proves me wrong and we announce a new GK and striker before July.  

Few names i heard the other night were Drey Wright, Matt Butcher, Andy Considine and Jamie Murphy.

9 hours ago, JDee said:

Will be interested to see if we have learned lessons from last summer with our recruitment.  Rooney, Clark and Hendry will be difficult to replace and we will have surely have known them plus Mccart will be away.  I think I read someone on here saying they worked with the club on recruitment last season so I'd be interested to hear if they refused the advice and decided loan players were the way to go.

MOH and Middleton can leave as far as I'm concerned.  I can't remember who it was out bid to sign them on again last summer (St. Mirren or United?) but I certainly felt we've been stung.  

I'm still hoping Davidson either walks or is sacked.  Preferably walking away without a relegation and the good feeling of the cup wins.  If he stays he'll be gone before Xmas.  Hope he proves me wrong and we announce a new GK and striker before July.  

Few names i heard the other night were Drey Wright, Matt Butcher, Andy Considine and Jamie Murphy.

Drey Wright was at the game on Monday night sitting beside Spoony and Jason Kerr I noticed.  Would be an ideal replacement for Rooney in my opinion if Davidson persists with the 3-5-2 formation which seems likely. 

9 hours ago, JDee said:

I'd be interested to hear if they refused the advice and decided loan players were the way to go.

A lot, if not all, of the loan signings last Summer were made  because there was no plan heading into the window and no players scouted beforehand.

Loan players were seen as stop gaps you weren't financially committed to, with the contracted squad being enough to see us through until January which would be planned for. Some loan players were players those at the club had previous knowledge of, some were word of mouth from contacts of those at the club.

Planning for January had already begun in August. Planning for this Summer began in at least January, but I don't know if that ended with the HOR leaving.