The Big Summer Transfer Window 2022 Thread

tucker

2 hours ago, templeofsaints said:

To be fair none of us really rated him - his loan to Killie was seen as the way out and nobody was complaining about that. He's done well to come back and make himself as valuable a player as he has but this time last year was anyone looking to extend his deal?

Funny thing is you could say that about quite a few Saints players that were actually awarded long contracts.

No doubt that Hendry has turned things around since coming back from Killie.TW always believed in him though and he seemed to gain a lot of confidence from his time there.Its just a bit galling that we will likely lose our most potent goal threat 

4 hours ago, templeofsaints said:

To be fair none of us really rated him - his loan to Killie was seen as the way out and nobody was complaining about that. He's done well to come back and make himself as valuable a player as he has but this time last year was anyone looking to extend his deal?

That's not completely true, few of us rated him, fairly vocally on here at least, and were sad when he was loaned to Aberdeen and v. happy to get him back. Of course a broken clock and all that, but for one I know I've always been a fan. He really cleaned up his red/yellow card issue on this latest return, I think discipline was always a big hindrance in his personal growth/success as a player.

I'm very sad to lose him if what I'm hearing comes true. Would have been a lot of fun watching him develop further and do his thing here for another season. I think he's one to watch, I hope he makes the right choice and finds a club where he can play every week.

16 hours ago, templeofsaints said:

Have to agree - Hendry's form had been poor for a while and at the beginning of this season he was probably playing the worst football of his career (his performance in the Arbroath game stuck out as a particularly bad one). Part of me wonders if the fact that he had no contract offer on the table was part of what spurred him on to give himself a shake and really go for it in the second half of this season, as he was basically playing for his future. 

Fair play to him as he's probably ended up playing himself into a better deal than Saints could ever offer. Regan-Charles Cook, the joint-top scorer in the Premiership only scored 13 goals over the entire season. Hendry scored 8 in half a season.

48 minutes ago, pezza70 said:

Yeah just read about Burton Albion, I reckon it’s only a matter of time till he departs

He will be going ,there is no doubt about it so hopefully he goes down south.

Not sure how clubs with stadium capacity of 5 and 7 thousand are able to offer better deals than Scottish premiership teams.

Charles_Cook said to be going to Fleetwood.

55 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Not sure how clubs with stadium capacity of 5 and 7 thousand are able to offer better deals than Scottish premiership teams.

Yes they must have good accountants looking after their books

I guess the only positive if we do loose him is he won’t be playing against us in the same league.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Fleetwood Town average attendance of 3,600 or 3228 depending on which site you read 

Burton Albion 3273 or 3229 average on different sites.

Do they have better sponsorship deals/higher admission prices than Saints to offer better contract terms?

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

25 minutes ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Fleetwood Town average attendance of 3,600 or 3228 depending on which site you read 

Burton Albion 3273 or 3229 average on different sites.

Do they have better sponsorship deals/higher admission prices than Saints to offer better contract terms?

The turnover for the year to June 2020 was £5,677,726 made up of commercial income of £4,840,441 and gate receipts of £837,285. That compares with turnover of £6,746,717 for the 13 months to June 2019 – with commercial income at £5,557,433 and gate receipts of £1,189,284.

Commercial income of £4.8m made a loss of £1.9m in 2018. Suspect the chairman is pumping money in re large commercial deals.

Fleetwood is another rich mans toy £6m loss in 2018/19 £15m in cumulative losses.  £6.8m in salaries for 165 staff average of £40k                                      Fleetwood Town post losses of £6m in latest financial accounts as club remains dependent on owner Andy Pilley | Blackpool Gazette

Edited by mainstand

5 hours ago, mainstand said:

The turnover for the year to June 2020 was £5,677,726 made up of commercial income of £4,840,441 and gate receipts of £837,285. That compares with turnover of £6,746,717 for the 13 months to June 2019 – with commercial income at £5,557,433 and gate receipts of £1,189,284.

Commercial income of £4.8m made a loss of £1.9m in 2018. Suspect the chairman is pumping money in re large commercial deals.

Fleetwood is another rich mans toy £6m loss in 2018/19 £15m in cumulative losses.  £6.8m in salaries for 165 staff average of £40k                                      Fleetwood Town post losses of £6m in latest financial accounts as club remains dependent on owner Andy Pilley | Blackpool Gazette

Would think that Rooney was on more or offered more than £40 k a year with Saints. And the training facilities at McDiarmid would be miles ahead of Fleetwood.

Hope Rooney has not had his head turned by his hero a gave it some thought before signing.

11 hours ago, Cagey said:

Would think that Rooney was on more or offered more than £40 k a year with Saints. And the training facilities at McDiarmid would be miles ahead of Fleetwood.

Hope Rooney has not had his head turned by his hero a gave it some thought before signing.

Cagey have a wee look at the Fleetwood training facilities :shock: as for average wage that includes cleaners every single person in the company so yeah i would suspect he is on a lot more , Poolfoot Farm | Fleetwood Town Football Club Sports & Leisure Complex

Screenshot-2019-07-04-at-18.39.33-1024x686.jpg

According to various news stories, the last Sky TV deal signed by the EFL was worth £595 million over five years. The last Sky deal signed by the SPFL was worth £125 million, also over five years. The EFL obviously has a lot more clubs than the SPFL and I've no idea how that money gets divided up - but I'd imagine the average middle-ranking EFL club is still trousering quite a lot more TV money than Saints are. And they'll also be getting more from sponsorship across the board.

Loads of these English clubs also have wealthy benefactors investing heavily in them (even at non-league level, from what I've heard). Not sure how that fits in with financial fair-play rules but there you go.

Also, according to this link from 2019, every English League One club receives £677,000 per season (regardless of finishing position), plus a "solidarity payment" of £645,000 from the Premier League. So £1.3 million in total, per season. Saints get £1.18 million for finishing 11th in the Premiership. If we'd matched last season and finished 5th we'd have got just under £1.7 million. So this season's big drop in league position will also have harmed our ability to compete with some of these clubs.

Most of these English clubs also boast facilities for training etc that are miles ahead of what Saints are offering.

I don't think Saints can even get close to matching what English League One/League Two clubs (and probably even some National League clubs) are paying their players. But we can of course offer certain other things that some English-based players would find attractive (top flight football, possible European football and cup finals, generally a fresh start at a high level in a new country).

@mainstand - how do those turnover figures you posted compare with Saints' figures?

47 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

According to various news stories, the last Sky TV deal signed by the EFL was worth £595 million over five years. The last Sky deal signed by the SPFL was worth £125 million, also over five years. The EFL obviously has a lot more clubs than the SPFL and I've no idea how that money gets divided up - but I'd imagine the average middle-ranking EFL club is still trousering quite a lot more TV money than Saints are. And they'll also be getting more from sponsorship across the board.

Loads of these English clubs also have wealthy benefactors investing heavily in them (even at non-league level, from what I've heard). Not sure how that fits in with financial fair-play rules but there you go.

Also, according to this link from 2019, every English League One club receives £677,000 per season (regardless of finishing position), plus a "solidarity payment" of £645,000 from the Premier League. So £1.3 million in total, per season. Saints get £1.18 million for finishing 11th in the Premiership. If we'd matched last season and finished 5th we'd have got just under £1.7 million. So this season's big drop in league position will also have harmed our ability to compete with some of these clubs.

Most of these English clubs also boast facilities for training etc that are miles ahead of what Saints are offering.

I don't think Saints can even get close to matching what English League One/League Two clubs (and probably even some National League clubs) are paying their players. But we can of course offer certain other things that some English-based players would find attractive (top flight football, possible European football and cup finals, generally a fresh start at a high level in a new country).

@mainstand - how do those turnover figures you posted compare with Saints' figures?

Thanks to you ,MS and RG for showing my naivety :laugh:.