Thoughts on Season Ahead?

Radford 72

Was going to post this in the predictions thread but thought it best that be left for exactly that. So instead thought it might generate some discussion on its own merit. 

For me, at the moment, we are certainly hoping at least one other team has a stinker next season. 

We picked up points at the same rate as the rest of the pack outside of our horror run before Xmas but hard to make a case that we weren't still the second worst team in the league, the table rarely lies. 

County have obviously lost Hunbgo and Charles-Cook and that will definitely hurt them but is it worse than losing Clark, McCart, Rooney and Hendry? We are left with a group that scored 10 league goals between them last season.

I'm not sure how many more players the manager wants to sign but we need some real quality in attack and obviously a goalkeeper that is going to perform to at least expectations. 

Have very bad vibes about the season ahead at the moment unfortunately but prepared to be patient in anticipation of these remaining signings. 

Intrigued to hear from anyone who is optimistic about the upcoming campaign? 

It/s all down to CD if he continues to play his back 3 and wing backs and uses plyers there where it is not their natural position only one outcome relegation. IF he plays a system which is natural to his squad a back 4 with right and left centre backs and full backs in their natural positions e.g. Brown Gordon Constadine Booth. We may have a chance it he can find a goal scoring striker 

I’m preparing for the worst and hope we stay up, we need a goal scorer asap, I just don’t have confidence that we will have a strong window and CD has shown he has not too much faith in our younger players.

it’s down to RC and St Midden and us for the drop, the fact we stayed up last season with our lack of goals tells you how poor the league was last year.

I think it is hard to be positive about the season ahead.  Firstly, there has been no change in the management structure, coaching staff worthy of calling it change.  This team failed to address the numerous deficiencies within the team by continuing to play a system for which they no longer had the personnel to do so.   With so many players out of form, they never changed the team.  No matter how bad the players played, they played the next game.  Hardly inspiring for the rest of the squad. 

As for the team, I don't expect any further signings.  Two reasons for that.  Why would anyone wish to come to Saints when they will never get a chance to kick a ball for the first team?   (How different to when they saw Saints as an opportunity to progress). The owner is no longer as committed as he once was.   Having seen so much money wasted, he won't wish to lose more to boost the spectators.  

On the field, I hope Sinclair gets his chance.  I think Mahon is potentially better than McCart.  Holberg was good.  MacPherson may become a defensive midfield player.  I'd like to see Eetu and Bair given an opportunity together.  Wright may give them some ammunition, but I thought he flattered more than delivered.  As for Max, Gilmour, Ballantyne, I hope they get opportunities.  I just doubt it.

Realistically, it will be the usual suspects played out of position and in the wrong style.  I hope I'm wrong.  

The potential emergence of Kucheriavyi in particular is potentially one ray of light. Other than Danny Swanson, the real game changers for Saints over this period in the top division have been players brought in at a young age or home-grown, the sort we couldn't otherwise attract or afford. 

The manager has spoken about players that can go past a man and Kucheriavyi maybe fits that description? It's obviously a huge pressure to put on a young player but Ali McCann managed to emerge from a group that weren't in a great position in 2019, so maybe history can repeat itself?

1 hour ago, Johnny B said:

It/s all down to CD if he continues to play his back 3 and wing backs and uses plyers there where it is not their natural position only one outcome relegation. IF he plays a system which is natural to his squad a back 4 with right and left centre backs and full backs in their natural positions e.g. Brown Gordon Constadine Booth. We may have a chance it he can find a goal scoring striker 

Interesting move to slag the manager’s selections then pick a back 4 that would give most on here the absolute fear.

36 minutes ago, Papa Jack said:

Interesting move to slag the manager’s selections then pick a back 4 that would give most on here the absolute fear.

At this moment in time any back 3 with wing backs gives me absolute fear Better playing players in their natural positions than trying to make a formation work it almost got us relegated last season

Zero optimism so far which has only been compounded by the utterly unimaginative signings of Considine and Wright. 

From the highs of The Double to the absolute shambles of last season. 

I'm afraid that if you sign shite like Crawford and MacPherson and hand them lengthy contracts as well as the other pointless transfers then that says all you need to say about the direction of the club. 

We'll be lucky to finish 12 and it could be record breakingly bad.

4 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

Was going to post this in the predictions thread but thought it best that be left for exactly that. So instead thought it might generate some discussion on its own merit. 

For me, at the moment, we are certainly hoping at least one other team has a stinker next season. 

We picked up points at the same rate as the rest of the pack outside of our horror run before Xmas but hard to make a case that we weren't still the second worst team in the league, the table rarely lies. 

County have obviously lost Hunbgo and Charles-Cook and that will definitely hurt them but is it worse than losing Clark, McCart, Rooney and Hendry? We are left with a group that scored 10 league goals between them last season.

I'm not sure how many more players the manager wants to sign but we need some real quality in attack and obviously a goalkeeper that is going to perform to at least expectations. 

Have very bad vibes about the season ahead at the moment unfortunately but prepared to be patient in anticipation of these remaining signings. 

My feelings exactly

Nothing to suggest it will be any better, a few of the better players have left, getting the usual sound bites about signings and as usual missing out, this will go on through the summer and end up with a few English academy loanees. The standard of football was awful a team that could hardly string a couple of passes together, but the worry is the chairman seems to rate Davidson and from Davidson it appears it’s never his fault it’s the players, the pitch, playing in Europe. Still think we should of emptied him in January after Kelty, yep kept us up, but look at the position we were in a year ago we were an attractive proposition for signing targets, now players will not be so keen to move here, he is a big part of the shambles we are now, would love him to prove me wrong but just don’t see it.

Edited by crieffsaintandy

I think it’ll be a car crash and he’ll be gone by January, but a small part of me wonders if there might be a sliver of a chance that everything just clicks like it did it his first season and we manage to go on a decent run at some point, to at least allow us go finish around 8th place.

Right now beyond pessimistic for next season and a good few years to come having been saddled with aging and probably relatively expensive players. Feels like we are just dead men walking.

One thing for sure if at any point after the first few months we fall behind by more than a 2 game deficit or remain rooted there for weeks, and I really suspect we will. Change must happen.

Basically I have little faith in the direction, management and leadership in the club and they have a couple months to prove me wrong. I hope they do, but........

2 hours ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

When will Kano and Spoony return, that will help.

The best two "new signings".  Drew Wright may prove another, but the old guy..... how many times do we need to make that mistake? Ambrose pt 2 (and many more before him)

7 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

I agree about the goalscoring issues but we could have had Morelos up front last season and I’m not sure we would have scored too many more… all down to the style / system we played.

I suggest we would be better signing players that can either force Callum to change the system, or work better in the current system and trust guys like Kane, Wotherspoon etc to chip in with goals to replace Hendry.

It could go either way. I'm enthusiastic about Max, the return of Wotherspoon and Kane. Bair may come good. I think there's signs of MacPherson turning us. Hallberg is quality.

I'm dreading the very realistic prospect of Callum just carrying on doing exactly what he did all of last year. Can't see where the goals are coming from.

As I've said before he has 11 games to prove us all wrong, otherwise his time is over.

Fingers are well and truly crossed.

I believe we will be rooted to the bottom from the off and go down with a total whimper. I see nothing but this season being a total disaster. Even if Davidson was to move on, I can't see the new manager having the time to rebuild the squad/confidence in such a short time.

I just can't see us bringing in the quality we need in goals, in the centre of midfield, in our creative positions and most importantly up front. Unfortunately I have zero confidence that we will have much success in the transfer market, although Hallbergs addition gives me a glimmer of hope.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong. I'm desperate for Callum to prove me wrong and show last season was a blip.... I just cant see it.

9 hours ago, Johnny B said:

There’s no T in Considine but there is in Constantine