Levein new manager

saintgscot

36 minutes ago, templeofsaints said:

Probably not my first choice but given we've had our fingers burnt with younger managers an experienced head is probably a logical decision. Certainly better than some of the names that have been bandied about. 

Yip that's my thoughts, feel like I'm in the minority (looking at social media reactions) Certainly not my first choice but looking at some of the potential candidates,we could have had much worse. He'll get my support anyway, as would anyone else getting the gig. 

A very unimaginative appointment.

When he was appointed at Dundee United 17 years ago he was an ambitious manager who lifted the standards at that club and recruited well. I hope we see similar, but do wonder whether he still has the same drive or ambition. I always want a St Johnstone manager to see us as a stepping stone to something better. It means we get a manager who is ambitious and successful and the manager gets his want by moving on to bigger things. I just don’t see that happening with Levein.

His most recent record at Hearts ultimately ended in them getting relegated. He built a bloated squad and his recruitment left a lot to be desired.

I hope we get the United version of Levein, but football moves fast and I just can’t see him replicating the previous success he had in the game. Thankfully the likes of Motherwell, Ross County and Livi seem to be just as bad as us so hopefully he can do enough to at least make us competitive in the league.

So, it's Craig Levein then! 

I never even thought about him when all the speculation started.

Pros: 

I'd have him over Neilson, Martindale, Brown, Mulgrew etc. (To be honest, the only realistic option I'd have had before him would be Tam Courts, who I didn't like when first mentioned, but having checked his record and what he's been up to recently, I started to warm to the idea.) 

We're going in the opposite direction of appointing "young and hungry" than we have done for years, which judging by the recent performances is a good thing. 

He apparently gets things organised quickly, which we badly need. 

He's not learning on the job and will know what to do as soon as he walks in the door. 

He's a calm head in charge, the opposite of Maclean. 

He's a well known name and hopefully will get respect from the players. 

It's good to have somebody who's already high profile agreeing to be in charge of the club. When was the last time that happened?

A high profile appointment might give a boost to the players.

Contacts! He must have loads. 

Cons: 

The feeling in your stomach that this could go either way, but I suppose that's the same of any appointment.

His last stint at Hearts, and what my Jambo mates were saying about him at the time. They talked about strange decisions, selections, lost it etc. Hopefully his time away from management has refreshed him after that. 

THAT Scotland game.

He's got a decent squad to work with, he'll hopefully get a reaction from them, and he'll have time to get to know them all before the January window, when he might be able to unearth a few gems.

Anyway, he's our man and he gets my full and unequivocal support.

I'm coming round to this and I'm ok with it.

I think he could be what we need just a calming organised head that may be able to bring out the best in our players and bring on and teach the younger ones. Practically the opposite from what I imagine has gone before. Looking at someone who has a proven win record around the 30% to 40% mark in Scotland?

Gets a lot of stick for 5-5-0 and that still hangs over him. However with May up front on his own we have effectively played that for two seasons now 🤪

I'm definitely in the this could go either way camp.  I do not dislike Levein but worry he's championing Kirk as the next big thing in scottish football management, and I'm not convinced at all. 

Also fear that Brechin will crumble with them gone and it's kinda handy following them when I live 200 yards from Glebe Park 🤣

Maybe they'll bring Grady McGrath too.  Lad could score goals in any league.

2 minutes ago, ex-montrosesaintee said:

I'm definitely in the this could go either way camp.  I do not dislike Levein but worry he's championing Kirk as the next big thing in scottish football management, and I'm not convinced at all. 

Also fear that Brechin will crumble with them gone and it's kinda handy following them when I live 200 yards from Glebe Park 🤣

Maybe they'll bring Grady McGrath too.  Lad could score goals in any league.

If Kirk is Perth bound then Brechin would be a good place for Liam Craig to go out on his own. I am still a bit surprised we did not keep him as Under 18 Manager.  

So maybe have a Saints legend near you!!

2 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

Worried by this, but deserves a go.

Says a lot that people who are happy with it are generally happy because they see him as the least worst option.

I agree with you that he deserves a go, however I would have preferred it as a 'get us out of jail' card while we take our time looking for someone to take over before the new season starts. 

I am a doubter but will be happy if he becomes our saviour. 

Is the appointment till the end of the season or is an 18 month deal

Having read sone of the comments people are saying he is past his use by date and we have showed no ambition by not hiring a young hungry manager, yet we had that in Macca in theory and that didn’t work.

I’m happy that we have someone in place who if anything won’t have a view on their past performance and he hopefully picks players in their rightful positions and the slate is clean.

He watched the game the other night, he knows Clark can score when fit so hopefully we won’t see 5-5-0.

1 hour ago, pezza70 said:

Is the appointment till the end of the season or is an 18 month deal

Having read sone of the comments people are saying he is past his use by date and we have showed no ambition by not hiring a young hungry manager, yet we had that in Macca in theory and that didn’t work.

I’m happy that we have someone in place who if anything won’t have a view on their past performance and he hopefully picks players in their rightful positions and the slate is clean.

He watched the game the other night, he knows Clark can score when fit so hopefully we won’t see 5-5-0.

Might be a bit more to the story watch this space. #newowners 

2 hours ago, sixties saintee said:

Go o  then Cagey, who would you hae appointed

Good question Sixties. As I have said before I don't ****in know but not Levein.

Hope he does ok as I want Saints to prosper . Hope they don't get 3 year contracts.

We have got ourselves in a position that if we get a couple of wins we are back in the pack. I hope we don't throw that away with 2 nil Nils.

16 hours ago, rik2304 said:

Just remembered that it was Levein that capped Muzz. 

So he's alright by me. Great appointment.

Was it not Stark that was in charge by that point?

10 hours ago, rik2304 said:

Was he not the first domestic manager up here to beat a Brendan Rodgers Celtic team?

Aye

• blueheaven changed the title to Levein new manager