January Transfer Window

pezza70

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I hope we give him his chance to play quickly, and we're not going to handle him the way Callum Davidson would have: i.e. leave him sitting on the bench for months, getting rusty and losing confidence, while we coach his good bits out of him and try to make him play the same way every other failed striker has played. 

Good post BH. 

Unfortunately Levein is handling Sprangler the same way as his predesessor(s) did, by mostly leaving Sprangler rotting on the bench in favour of Max, giving him cameo appearances. Hopefully that will change soon. 

I also hope that, when Adama misses a sitter, or gives the ball away in midfield, he doesn't get booted out on loan to fester in somewhere like Ireland. 

1 hour ago, PSJ.84 said:

In

Kerr Smith (loan)
David Keltjens
Luke Robinson (loan)
Benjamin Kimpioka
Conor Smith
Adama Sidibeh

Out

Callum Booth (loan)
Luke Jephcott
Dara Costelloe
Jay Turner-Cooke

Ta, what about DJ ?.

4 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I'm quite excited by this signing. If you look at our available options, we're never going to go out and sign someone who's scoring 20+ goals at our level or equivalent. So if we go for other Premiership strikers we're stuck with the guys who we know only get three or four goals a season if they're very lucky (guys like Zak Rudden). Or we take a chance on someone from abroad but end up with someone like Theo Bair, who wasn't even scoring goals in the Norwegian lower leagues before he came to us.

This is someone who is actually banging in goals and playing with confidence, albeit at a much lower level. I hope we give him his chance to play quickly, and we're not going to handle him the way Callum Davidson would have: i.e. leave him sitting on the bench for months, getting rusty and losing confidence, while we coach his good bits out of him and try to make him play the same way every other failed striker has played here, spending all game chugging around hopelessly in our own half of the pitch. Just let him get out on the pitch and do his thing and let's see what he can do.

Agree with this. The standard of coaching has been levelled through the leagues, with UEFA type standardisation. I had a manager at a non-league level who was a UEFA pro coach who then went on to be assistant to Steve Clarke for Scotland - and players are getting good coaching, so for some it's the opportunity that's missing. Similarly players who have been in academies, not all can make the EPL, they drop down. This guy is old school rookie - he's been proving himself at his level, and if he's half as good at out level, that'll be good business.

5 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

That’s just the winter business. Jaiyesimi signed in September. 

Ta I didn't think DJ had been here since summer window and I don't think he has had many minutes.

Begs the question , How many in and how many out since summer.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Ta I didn't think DJ had been here since summer window and I don't think he has had many minutes.

Begs the question , How many in and how many out since summer.

Apologies for going full stato but he played about 400 minutes before January - was injured until October.  

In terms of transfers - 

In - 

Luke Jephcott

Dimitar Mitov

Sven Sprangler

Sam McLelland

Dare Olufunwa

Matt Smith

Dialling Jaiyesimi (loan)

Luke Robinson (loan)

Dave Richards (loan)

Dara Costelloe (loan)

Jay Turner-Cooke (loan)

Kerr Smith (loan)

David Keltjens

Benjamin Kimpioka

Conor Smith

Adama Sidibeh

Out - 

David Wotherspoon

Melker Hallberg

Theo Bair 

Michael O’Halloran

Charlie Gilmour

Eetu Vertainen

Jamie Murphy

Alex Ferguson (loan)

Taylor Steven (loan)

Ben McCrystal (loan)

Jackson Mylchreest (loan)

Liam Parker (loan) 

Elliot Parish

Murray Davidson

Callum Booth (loan)

Luke Jephcott

Dara Costelloe (loan cut short)

Jay Turner-Cooke (loan cut short)

There’ll maybe be a couple of younger players heading out on loan I’ve missed - purely as I don’t remember exactly who played in the League Cup. 

2 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Apologies for going full stato but he played about 400 minutes before January - was injured until October.  

In terms of transfers - 

In - 

Luke Jephcott

Dimitar Mitov

Sven Sprangler

Sam McLelland

Dare Olufunwa

Matt Smith

Dialling Jaiyesimi (loan)

Luke Robinson (loan)

Dave Richards (loan)

Dara Costelloe (loan)

Jay Turner-Cooke (loan)

Kerr Smith (loan)

David Keltjens

Benjamin Kimpioka

Conor Smith

Adama Sidibeh

Out - 

David Wotherspoon

Melker Hallberg

Theo Bair 

Michael O’Halloran

Charlie Gilmour

Eetu Vertainen

Jamie Murphy

Alex Ferguson (loan)

Taylor Steven (loan)

Ben McCrystal (loan)

Jackson Mylchreest (loan)

Liam Parker (loan) 

Elliot Parish

Murray Davidson

Callum Booth (loan)

Luke Jephcott

Dara Costelloe (loan cut short)

Jay Turner-Cooke (loan cut short)

There’ll maybe be a couple of younger players heading out on loan I’ve missed - purely as I don’t remember exactly who played in the League Cup. 

Ta, some turnover and some wage bill. Will need a big clear out in the summer but at least most of the dead wood are out of contract.

18 hours ago, MySpazz said:

Agree with this. The standard of coaching has been levelled through the leagues, with UEFA type standardisation. I had a manager at a non-league level who was a UEFA pro coach who then went on to be assistant to Steve Clarke for Scotland - and players are getting good coaching, so for some it's the opportunity that's missing. Similarly players who have been in academies, not all can make the EPL, they drop down. This guy is old school rookie - he's been proving himself at his level, and if he's half as good at out level, that'll be good business.

Aye, English non-league while a few steps down from leagues up here is still a far cry from a couple of coaches throwing cones down and welding their own goals.

Coaching in the UK at all levels, grassroots and up, has improved a lot. 

What encourages me about Sibideh is he's made an impact after only 8 months. He's clearly better than the level he's been playing at. I'd me more hesitant if he'd been at that level for 2-3 years. Be interesting to here his backstory, getting into and staying in an academy is as much luck as talent. Maybe he's used past dissapointment to drive him on.

Whether top flight in Scotland is a few steps too far I guess we'll find out. But if a few English league 1 and 2 clubs were interested there may be a player there. We're definitely getting him at the right time. I'd be happy to bet he's ahead of the likes of Zach Rudden.

18 minutes ago, mike_gain said:

Aye, English non-league while a few steps down from leagues up here is still a far cry from a couple of coaches throwing cones down and welding their own goals.

What encourages me about Sibideh is he's made an impact after only 8 months. He's clearly better than the level he's been playing at. I'd me more hesitant if he'd been at that level for 2-3 years. Be interesting to here his backstory, getting into and staying in an academy is as much luck as talent. Maybe he's used past dissapointment to drive him on.

Whether top flight in Scotland is a few steps too far I guess we'll find out. But if a few English league 1 and 2 clubs were interested there may be a player there. We're definitely getting him at the right time. I'd be happy to bet he's ahead of the likes of Zach Rudden.

Sounds like he came over to England for a trial at a championship club in 2020 ish but Covid put an end to that.

42 minutes ago, mike_gain said:

Agree with all of this. It's been really noticeable over the past couple of days to see just how (understandably) ignorant a lot of people up here are of that part of English football. I've actually seen a couple of people claim Sidibeh's coming to us from a standard that is the equivalent of Jeanfield Swifts. That's just miles off the reality. I think if people were to get the opportunity to go to some games in the 6th and 7th tiers of English football they'd quickly realise that the level of facilities, budget, attendances and squad quality some of these clubs have would put them on a par with some Scottish Championship clubs.

Would really like to hear more about Sidibeh's background, and hopefully more of that will come to light over the next few days. You can see some of his former clubs here, but it only goes back to 2022. I saw someone on Twitter mention he'd been playing in a Gambian league before that, but can't find anything online confirming that.

59 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Agree with all of this. It's been really noticeable over the past couple of days to see just how (understandably) ignorant a lot of people up here are of that part of English football. I've actually seen a couple of people claim Sidibeh's coming to us from a standard that is the equivalent of Jeanfield Swifts. That's just miles off the reality. I think if people were to get the opportunity to go to some games in the 6th and 7th tiers of English football they'd quickly realise that the level of facilities, budget, attendances and squad quality some of these clubs have would put them on a par with some Scottish Championship clubs.

Would really like to hear more about Sidibeh's background, and hopefully more of that will come to light over the next few days. You can see some of his former clubs here, but it only goes back to 2022. I saw someone on Twitter mention he'd been playing in a Gambian league before that, but can't find anything online confirming that.

Courier interview with Levein says Adama came over for a trial with an English Championship side but then Covid hit and he was put back a couple of years and it's only over the last year or so he's begun to fulfil his potential. 

2 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Really good piece in the Courier from his former boss at Rylands, sounds like we might’ve picked up a wee hidden gem. Fingers crossed our fans won’t write him off after one cameo appearance…

On 2/2/2024 at 11:21 AM, Saintdunc said:

Unfortunately Levein is handling Sprangler the same way as his predesessor(s) did, by mostly leaving Sprangler rotting on the bench in favour of Max, giving him cameo appearances. Hopefully that will change soon.

Phillips and Matt Smith both out of squad today and Sprangler still benched.

Final straw for me. I desperately hope we stay up this season but I won’t be back to watch us this season.

I’ll make my decision on next season based on what we do as a summer rebuild.

Scunnered!!

11 hours ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

Phillips and Matt Smith both out of squad today and Sprangler still benched.

Final straw for me. I desperately hope we stay up this season but I won’t be back to watch us this season.

I’ll make my decision on next season based on what we do as a summer rebuild.

Scunnered!!

Don’t let the door catch your arse on the way out ! 🤮

On 1/29/2024 at 8:45 AM, pezza70 said:

Wow that’s sounds positive, I’m not saying he can walk on water or part the ocean, but gee we have no width at all in our play and hopefully his return will add something that is sorely missed right now.

Opposition teams must love the fact we don’t play with width so it makes defending our long balls or our one man up front playing facing backwards instead of running into a bit of space such an easy way to defend.

Never mentioned but a setback for Ross Sinclair doesn't sound good as I am sure he has had problems with his wrists but don't know what the setback is.

1 hour ago, rik2304 said:

Cammy Ballantyne is off to Clyde on loan.

Good player  did well at the end of last season but for some reason never did much in , poor team at the beginning of this season

Best of luck and hope your career takes off.

Can't see struggling Clyde paying much of his wage.