Levein's Report Card

Northern saint

13 hours ago, Setting Son said:

There’s been a serious lack of fitness for a while now and with an aging squad looks like they’re struggling with 2 halves of football never mind 2 games a week . Maybe the reason the team keeps getting changed . 

Question is why, are our sport scientist crap, and whit were they doing during the break.

42 minutes ago, sixties saintee said:

Question is why, are our sport scientist crap, and whit were they doing during the break.

Why square pegs in round holes , why keep dropping players when they have good games , why when everything is coming down the left to not try and counter that , why Max instead of Sprangler , why take so long to make a decision , why are we tank empty putting everything into a half of football . 
Maybe Arthur C Clarke can bring out another mystery series . 

52 minutes ago, johndb said:

I think a wave of calm has washed over the club since Craig took over. Laid back and unfussed is a great template to show the world. For God's sake give him a chance 

Calm , to me it looks like indifference. No passion and acceptance of two wrong decisions against Aberdeen.

Time will tell whether his approach this season is purely about keeping us up by any means, or whether he truly believes this is how teams should play.

Think Kirks influence is strong on everything though.

Spoken openly about trying to protect a defence that lacks pace so interested to see if thats something they try to resolve in the Summer. Maybe they can and we end up more adventurous because of that.

Do worry we'll see too many "rough diamond" signings as Levein tries to prove he can still spot these players and polish them. Definitely need a few but the hit rate wont be huge so you'll end up with some rubbish. Ideally we probably have a mix of Davidson (proven players), MacLean (lost their way players), and Levein (rising talents needing to prove themselves), in terms of transfer policy.

Ultimately if he keeps us up hes been a success, as we were utterly ****ed when he came in.

57 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Time will tell whether his approach this season is purely about keeping us up by any means, or whether he truly believes this is how teams should play.

Think Kirks influence is strong on everything though.

Spoken openly about trying to protect a defence that lacks pace so interested to see if thats something they try to resolve in the Summer. Maybe they can and we end up more adventurous because of that.

Do worry we'll see too many "rough diamond" signings as Levein tries to prove he can still spot these players and polish them. Definitely need a few but the hit rate wont be huge so you'll end up with some rubbish. Ideally we probably have a mix of Davidson (proven players), MacLean (lost their way players), and Levein (rising talents needing to prove themselves), in terms of transfer policy.

Ultimately if he keeps us up hes been a success, as we were utterly ****ed when he came in.

I very much think you are correct on this one. It looks to me like Levein is trying to work with what he has. I don't think he trusts our centre-backs to play in a back four. We lack the pace  in that area big style. It would be a disaster leaving them open with little protection. It likely means that we are now having to shoe-horn players into the wing-back roles, but it's possibly the lesser of two evils?

My gut feeling is that his major goal is to top a table of three between Livi, County and ourselves. I think that is a major success, considering where we were when he came in. Anything else this season is a bonus.

In the summer, there will be a major opportunity for us to reshape the squad and we can see the style of play and type of player that he wants to move forward. So far I am happy enough with who he has brought in, they wont all work, but I can see the reasoning in all of them.

I think one of the biggest decisions is whether he believes that he can trust in the fitness of Wright, Clark and even possibly Kane. They are all likely in our best XI if everyone is fit, but can we afford to keep paying them a wage to regularly be on the treatment table? Add in the fact Mitov and Phillips may well be away. It's a big rebuild task.

12 minutes ago, SlickDT said:

I think one of the biggest decisions is whether he believes that he can trust in the fitness of Wright, Clark and even possibly Kane. They are all likely in our best XI if everyone is fit, but can we afford to keep paying them a wage to regularly be on the treatment table? Add in the fact Mitov and Phillips may well be away. It's a big rebuild task.

Clarks still contracted for another season regardless.

Not sure what happens with Wright and Kane, maybe the next 5 months decides that?

12 hours ago, pezza70 said:

From where we were to where we are now it’s been a great turnaround albeit frustrating but he has steadied the ship as such 

Just a bit!  That table speaks for itself! 

loads of blowhards on United board's demanding the sacking of JG.....4pts clear at the top, +25gd better than 2nd place,  lost 2 league games all season, stuck in championship for 4 years last time.....some fans are off the scale with criticism! 

think of those poor Celtic fans, 11/12 championships, 6 trebles.....sack the board????

27 minutes ago, Smarmy Arab said:

Just a bit!  That table speaks for itself! 

loads of blowhards on United board's demanding the sacking of JG.....4pts clear at the top, +25gd better than 2nd place,  lost 2 league games all season, stuck in championship for 4 years last time.....some fans are off the scale with criticism! 

think of those poor Celtic fans, 11/12 championships, 6 trebles.....sack the board????

Sounds like those DU supporters would boo Santa Claus too

15 hours ago, Smarmy Arab said:

What a great stat!!  We are not scoring anywhere enough but not shipping too many either. That's us played each team in his tenure so far and if that form continues we will be safe with room to spare. Not getting carried away though, it's so tight that things can change quickly 

The statistics don't cover the reality.  We have picked up points against County when if they had anyone poised in front of goal we would have lost.  We dropped points against Motherwell, Kilmarnock when we could have gained more.  

We have no style of play which fits our players.  Playing slow from the start, gives the other team the initiative.  When we have a go late on, we see we could have been competitive at least.  Hopefully there is enough pace, skill and finishing ability to get us on a run reducing the need to tinker with the team.  If he does show faith, I think the players will respond.

1 hour ago, Northern saint said:

The statistics don't cover the reality.  We have picked up points against County when if they had anyone poised in front of goal we would have lost.  We dropped points against Motherwell, Kilmarnock when we could have gained more.  

We have no style of play which fits our players.  Playing slow from the start, gives the other team the initiative.  When we have a go late on, we see we could have been competitive at least.  Hopefully there is enough pace, skill and finishing ability to get us on a run reducing the need to tinker with the team.  If he does show faith, I think the players will respond.

The reality is exactly what is in that table, all other things are simply opinions.

Are we great to watch? Not really, but when a team is in a dire position, results become the priority. This window seems to have given us a little more idea of the style he wants us to play. Continue to protect a fairly slow back three and play on the counter with pacey strikers. We have also seen the wing-backs push forward more.

He is doing the job he was brought in to do- get us away from trouble. There is not a doubt in mind if we hadn't have changed anything, then we would still be rooted to the bottom. 

Very happy we went for Levien refreshing who we're going for players new to the Scottish game instead of same old thing.looking at county and Livingston were in a much stronger place than them I was very unsure about the appointment but can see the benefits back to the Tommy Wright way football isn't brilliant at times but getting results 

4 hours ago, tucker said:

Very happy we went for Levien refreshing who we're going for players new to the Scottish game instead of same old thing.looking at county and Livingston were in a much stronger place than them I was very unsure about the appointment but can see the benefits back to the Tommy Wright way football isn't brilliant at times but getting results 

Come the end of the season it will be interesting to judge whether Macca or Levein made the better signings.

The best thing that can happen to the club is to get out of this structural limbo. Manager and the governance structure are not cutting it. New owners wielding a big broom are needed.

I'm a season ticket holder and i've not attended since he was appointed. I won't be renewing unless there is significant change at the club. That includes the CEO going.

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

The best thing that can happen to the club is to get out of this structural limbo. Manager and the governance structure are not cutting it. New owners wielding a big broom are needed.

I'm a season ticket holder and i've not attended since he was appointed. I won't be renewing unless there is significant change at the club. That includes the CEO going.

Stan Harris probably saved the club from financial meltdown by immediately sacking Flaherty, he’s one of the few people at the club who appear to be competent.

Edited by The Kinross Saint

2 hours ago, Hendo said:

Pish