POLL: Should Craig Levein be sacked?

blueheaven

Should Saints sack Craig Levein?  

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Papa Jack said:

There was a bit of chat that the manager was actually overdoing training last season and the players were suffering at the end of games because of it.   

Obvious lack of sports science input.  all the bigger teams look at the load on the players, ice baths help recovery etc. The new owner needs to invest in infrastructure. We only see players running around. I hear they go to use a local gym. Can't they invest in a sports specific gym, sports scientist, ice machines, proper rehabilitation equipment. Players aren't going to England to recover at I guess some expense for no reason. We might be good at getting fit players but can we maintain their fitness over the season. Also agree about reserve football. Reserve football means that they are closer to the intensity of the game than seating on bench after training. Going out on loan doesn't solve the problem as those players are then unavailable. More bounce games might be needed as other clubs will be in the same situation. I think that small tweaks are needed.

13 hours ago, garydavidson said:

I never saw the announcement of a new one, just the last one leaving.

They never seem to want to tell us this stuff, do they? Same with the goalkeeper coach situation. I don't get why that would be a secret. If anything, keeping fans informed of stuff like that would give them a bit more content during a few boring months, which would be a good thing.

Hopefully this is one of the things we're going to see change under the new regime.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

They never seem to want to tell us this stuff, do they? Same with the goalkeeper coach situation. I don't get why that would be a secret. If anything, keeping fans informed of stuff like that would give them a bit more content during a few boring months, which would be a good thing.

Hopefully this is one of the things we're going to see change under the new regime.

Wouldn't hold my breath. I think we brought in new media guys but the content OS is abysmal. We are back to 30 second snapshots of interviews. The two young guys before used to do quizzes with players and various other things.

Hopefully the new owners will live up to their wish to get the fans more involved.

8 minutes ago, Cagey said:

Wouldn't hold my breath. I think we brought in new media guys but the content OS is abysmal. We are back to 30 second snapshots of interviews. The two young guys before used to do quizzes with players and various other things.

Hopefully the new owners will live up to their wish to get the fans more involved.

I think we need to give the new media team a chance and see where things go from here. I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't been able to get approval on a new strategy until the new ownership is in place.

Personally I still feel the club would really benefit from investing in the appointment of an experienced sports marketing person who has a track record in engaging with fans and getting results from that. Perhaps even someone from America who could bring in some completely fresh ideas. Even if it was just a short-term appointment for a year or two, I think it's something that would be really good for Saints.

Few of the recent comments have any relation to the subject of this thread and have very little to do with Craig Levein's management. Surely, as I said before, it is time to hang the subject out to dry for a while and start a more relevant thread about the way forward for the club.

25 minutes ago, Willie Peat said:

Few of the recent comments have any relation to the subject of this thread and have very little to do with Craig Levein's management. Surely, as I said before, it is time to hang the subject out to dry for a while and start a more relevant thread about the way forward for the club.

I think that's a good idea and you're totally welcome to start a new thread.

We don't tend to shut threads down just because they've evolved into other discussions. It's pretty normal for longer threads to do that and it's all connected.

4 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I think that's a good idea and you're totally welcome to start a new thread.

We don't tend to shut threads down just because they've evolved into other discussions. It's pretty normal for longer threads to do that and it's all connected.

Thanks for clarifying. Although I would be happy to start one,  I don't think a new thread about the way forward is necessary as the "New Owner" topic is now covering most of this.  I am now sensing a new enthusiasm about the club's future which I think is on a par with how we felt when the club moved to McDiarmid Park. 

15 minutes ago, Willie Peat said:

I am now sensing a new enthusiasm about the club's future which I think is on a par with how we felt when the club moved to McDiarmid Park. 

What was the supports general reaction to that?

Too young to have lived through it, but wonder if it was an overwhelming sense of new hope etc., or whether there were doubts it would work out.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

What was the supports general reaction to that?

Too young to have lived through it, but wonder if it was an overwhelming sense of new hope etc., or whether there were doubts it would work out.

Probably the sense of new hope when you consider that the club was almost defunct before Geoff got involved. Understandable for those who had watched the team during the 1980's after the highs of the Ormond years of the late 60's and early 70's. Don't think there many, if any, doubts that things could only get better.

9 hours ago, Cagey said:

Hope you enjoy the fun tennis content this evening 

I'm not CL biggest fan mainly because of the turgid boring football on offer BUT I'm all for giving chances, understandable his hands have been tied due to players already under contract and having to deal on a very tight budget. He seems to be "thinking out the box" now he has a bit of leeway, also think he can still spot a player (or the potential) has an increased budget ( obviously not mega but better than before) a chunk of last seasons team have gone so it's on him now to prove he can provide the goods on the pitch. Webb pushing for front foot/exciting style football probably pushes CL out of his comfort zone but that's probably exactly what he needs. Couple more decent signings and I'll be happy enough 😊 

1 hour ago, chips said:

I'm not CL biggest fan mainly because of the turgid boring football on offer BUT I'm all for giving chances, understandable his hands have been tied due to players already under contract and having to deal on a very tight budget. He seems to be "thinking out the box" now he has a bit of leeway, also think he can still spot a player (or the potential) has an increased budget ( obviously not mega but better than before) a chunk of last seasons team have gone so it's on him now to prove he can provide the goods on the pitch. Webb pushing for front foot/exciting style football probably pushes CL out of his comfort zone but that's probably exactly what he needs. Couple more decent signings and I'll be happy enough 😊 

I agree with most of this, apart from your last sentence, which I would change to Couple of decent signings and I'll be happier! 

On 7/11/2024 at 8:06 AM, chips said:

Agree

15 hours ago, rik2304 said:

Wonder how long he lasts under the new owner?

I keep trying to tell myself Webb's doing the right thing in giving Levein a chance. He probably wants everyone to have a clean slate and doesn't want to be seen as a guy who comes in and immediately sacks the manager, and I understand that. The timing of Webb's arrival, so late into pre-season, has probably also meant that changing the manager would have been difficult.

But I can't help but feel we're going to end up sacking Levein in a few months anyway, and the consequences of that will be yet another season of trying desperately to catch up with the other teams in the league, and yet another new manager having to come in and try to put out fires while attempting to get the best out of another man's team and break the players' bad habits and lift morale with the budget already spent and Levein's choice of players all tied to lengthy contracts. 

This summer should have seen Saints sweep the board and start again with an enthusiastic new manager, and I can't help but feel we've messed up yet again.

Of course I know it's still very early and players haven't hit their stride yet and there are probably still quite a number of new signings to come and blah-de-blah-de-blah. So I really hope I'm wrong about all of this. But my gut feeling is I'm not.

Said it a few times Levein can pick a player  David, Sidibeh, Essel and kimpokia look like real finds so scouting, director of football role would be great but as a manager no sorry the only time he's come out all guns blazing was against Motherwell last game of the season because he had too.

He's had his time we've struggled against lower division teams in pre season this Will be the same boring thing as last season 

31 minutes ago, tucker said:

Said it a few times Levein can pick a player  David, Sidibeh, Essel and kimpokia look like real finds so scouting, director of football role would be great but as a manager no sorry the only time he's come out all guns blazing was against Motherwell last game of the season because he had too.

He's had his time we've struggled against lower division teams in pre season this Will be the same boring thing as last season 

Are they his signings though. I notice he included Gus in his thanks to Levein and Kirk. No mention of Clelland. Was it because he is not as involved as Gus.