The bench

GeorgetheSaint

Jst a quick message to see what you guys think about the players on the bench. I know Savo personally, and he told me that he could have played a part in any of the last three games, in fact OC told him he thought about putting him on the bench against Clyde 3 weeks ago only to reconsider. I know he feels fine and while he admits he couldn't play 90 minutes i think he should be on the bench instead of either stewart or Peaso, who have had numerous chances this season without impresing. I understand i may be biased knowing Savo, which is why i put it to you to hear your views on this. I also think Mccluskey would be a good sub as he gives us something different. I think OC is far too loyal, sticking with players even when they dont produce form over a period of time.

If what you say is true then you are absolutely correct.

If Savo wanted to play a part then we should have rolled out a f*n red carpet for him!

John Stewart will never get on the pitch for us again, he is absolute garbage and Coyle won't put him on anyway, so there is no point at all in him being on the bench- we may as well put Aggie Moffat there.

and how many times have players said that, been allowed to play and disappeared for another couple of months!!!

If OC had played him and he had been injured again then we would have had Mr X coming on saying I know him and he told the club he wasn't ready - Aaagggghhh:mad:

Totally agree TS. Milne needs the kid glove treatment to make sure he gets back to as near to full fitness as we are ever likely to see him at. Great player.

On too many occasions in the past we have been stung by bringing back players too early and making things worse. Savo should be completely wrapped in cotton wool for as long as it takes for the physio/medical/coaching staff at the club to be 100% sure that he's ready. If it's true that he already thinks he's ready and is really wanting to get playing then that's a good thing, but presumably he's not an injury recovery expert so isn't the only voice that should be listened to. He'll get his chance soon enough - we've got plenty of other strikers in the meantime. I think a far bigger question really should be what has happened to Peaso this season???

Time to play Devils advocate….

I watched training a couple of times this week and Savo looks fully fit. I also understand from people connected with the club and reading the official site, that he has had the “all clearâ€. However, he didn’t look sharp and so criticism could be laid at OCs door for not arranging enough bounce games. I have also heard from a “club mole†that some bounce games are played without our (fans) knowledge. Further, nobody has confirmed this but; perhaps Stewart must be on the bench as part of a “deal†with Yogi/Bairns?

As for Jinky; he has looked awesome in training, sharper than Weatherston who may still be struggling with injury. It is horrible for me, watching Saints play like they did yesterday and knowing that he cannot make a difference because he ain’t a sub.

However in defence of Coyle, I don’t believe he encourages the route one style of our last two games. It’s not the way in training and it’s against his public statements of playing the game properly.

Again to Coyle’s credit I would defend his signings; Rocco will become a good player and he did try to make the deal permanent, he is moving heaven and earth to sign Dukes but the transfer fee is a “massive†stumbling block. Main is better than Cat and Irvine a massive improvement of Lawrie. Jacko is much improved – which must be partly due to OC, Ando must be getting scouted by “bigger†clubs, Mooner is gonna become good and again Coyle deserves praise.

I’m not blind to facts. McInnes is poor, Sheerin has been very poor of late and Wullie is being played on the wrong side and being picked ahead of Jinky which to my mind is really horrendous. In fairness, Wullie looked like a scapegoat yesterday - getting subbed when he did was unfair – he didn’t play well, but neither did Peanut/McInnes.

Hardie and Savo will be back soon, I’m sure he’s looking for replacement for McInnes, Jinky will start again soon and Hamilton will struggle in 2008.

Keep the Faith etc etc…

In fairness, Wullie looked like a scapegoat yesterday - getting subbed when he did was unfair – he didn’t play well, but neither did Peanut/McInnes.

Keep the Faith etc etc…

I don,t want to sound like I,m being rude but thats nonsense.Your right to say Sheerin,McInnes and others played poorly.I think all the team did with perhaps the exception of Ando who was okay.

How long can you defend a player who shows little intrest in the game , can,t tackle, cant pass, and is always stopping to claim a foul (next game ,you count how many times he just gives up ,throws his hands in the air claiming a foul then sulks when the ref doesn't give one). These faults are nothing to do with him playing out of position and every thing to do with his shite attitude.:mad:

However in defence of Coyle, I don’t believe he encourages the route one style of our last two games. It’s not the way in training and it’s against his public statements of playing the game properly.

In which case he should be dropping the players that seem to enjoy playing route one all day long.

I disagree with St. Mikey as well about McCluskey - sure he may be a bit lightweight but that's what you have other tackling defensive midfielders for - would we be so worried abotu playing Jinky in the midfield if he had Hardie say as a minder?

I know i'm gonna get a bollockin for sayin this but i dont think mcCluskey is that good. I think he is too fancy and isnt actually that fast. A lot of his tricks dont actually get him anywhere. He has got a great cross/long ball though

It's a bit unfair, since we've not seen an awful lot of the guy; but on the basis of his limited appearances so far, I completely agree.

There was a rumour [on here?] a while back saying McCluskey was being frozen out for some reason or another.

From memory, his father told forumers (at Firhill - Cup Game) that his boy had been promised a run in the team and never got it. There was a very strong suggestion of Coyle picking his mates. We then hit form and Jinky got injured at roughly the same time so the lack of Jinky wasn't a big issue.

I do fear that the post worked against Jinky and it is also dubious because of the nature of its appearance on here; i.e. Coyle telt Jinky, Jinky telt his dad, his dad telt a fan, a fan posted on here. So we don't know 100% what, if anything, was promised to Jinky.

For what it's worth, even if the tricks don't always work he usually carries the ball forward and whatever people think of his ultimate potential is largely irrelevant. If he's better than McLaren; at this point in their respective careers, he should be ahead of McLaren in team selection.

Incidentally, the post started off about Savo and he has now got his 90 minutes which Coyle said he needed prior to being involved... Daal also scored. Savo and Daal for the final?!