Saints vs. Partick Thistle 05/01/08

Radford 72

5 players on the bench who between them can cover all 11 positions. What more do you want?

Central defenders - mcManus

full backs/central midfield - Anderson with possibility of Irvine pushing into midfield

Forwards - jackson and Weatherston

far from a defensive minded bench and one which allows you attacking options.

So do u not reckon Ando can play centre def? because personally that's my preffered position for him. I'd replace McManus on the bench with either Daal, Wullie or a youngster

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe people actually don't think McManus should play?

Okay, he's had a few bad games but he's calm at the back, isn't afraid to put in a challenge and looks for a pass before a punt. Rutkiewicz may be solid but he gives away possesion too much and Anderson mistakes are often alot more costly than McManus'.

He adds experience and last season and this season he has played well for us.

5 players on the bench who between them can cover all 11 positions. What more do you want?

Central defenders - mcManus

full backs/central midfield - Anderson with possibility of Irvine pushing into midfield

Forwards - jackson and Weatherston

far from a defensive minded bench and one which allows you attacking options.

If you delete the word "McManus" and replace with the word "Anderson", you still cover all the positions and you can have Bobby Barr on the bench. I don't agree that Irvine is any good in centre mid - though I believe in time, and with full confidence, he could play there in an emergency. I should point out that I'm not advocating the constant use of Bobby Barr - he has a bit to go yet. However, I do believe it would do his confidence the world of good, it would also spur on the likes of Fairbairn et al. I think we've seen the effects of confidence in Mooner and Jacko, long may this stream of talent continue.

Putting a young player on the bench must do a lot for his confidence, they are involved in the first team and not just to pick up the balls after the warm-up.

If they are continually going to be on the bench or used as a squad player then it would be sensible to loan them out to one of the other Tayside clubs such as Brechin or Montrose, I wouldn't bother with Forfar anymore because they are a bit rank.

3 pts was the ultimate goal and that was achieved- bitterly cold rain made life difficult for the players-i thought McBreen put himself about and that was good to see-McCaff at the back wasnt "match" fit having been out so long -but looks a good prospect and took his goal well-although some of his passing was poor (early days tho eh !!).

Gonna be hard to pick a settled side tho-with James/Hardie/Chris Miller/Mensing (possibly) still to be considered.

http://www.stjohnstonefc.co.uk/newsitem.asp?NewsID=2357

Very well balanced comments from our gaffer. Encouraging to read that it's not all positive viewing in the dugout.

I had to laugh at Jobby's comment that thistle were the better team in the second half - what planet is that guy on?!:cool::D:shock:

By heck some of you guys are hard to please. Perhaps the reverse is true and i'm easy pleased coz I enjoyed that today. The team played some good stuff, mixing up the long and short stuff. Oops, I mentioned the long ball....that's not allowed is it. Of course it friggin' is!! We just need to mix it up a bit that's all. If we dispensed with the long ball entirely it would make the oppo defensive job too easy. Lob a long un in every now and again to make them think.

And you'd not feel the cold if you wore some extra layers of clothing! Gloves should be banned tho' ....you cannae clap with gloves on!! :roll::wink:

I can't believe people actually don't think McManus should play?

Okay, he's had a few bad games but he's calm at the back, isn't afraid to put in a challenge and looks for a pass before a punt. Rutkiewicz may be solid but he gives away possesion too much and Anderson mistakes are often alot more costly than McManus'.

He adds experience and last season and this season he has played well for us.

You have just described McManus' exact opposite. I like him as a defender but he is the biggest culprit in our side for punting the ball and that I can almost guarantee is the reason we brought in McCaffery and he was dropped.

As for the game, I am surprised so many people are saying it was poor and that Thistle were poor. I thought they looked quite good, and thats why I am so happy with the 2-0 win. Their number 4 gave us a hell of a time in the air and ran both our fullbacks ragged in both halves. I remember him from the 2-2 game at Firhill and he did the same that day - who was he?

I have also criticised Main on many occasions this season but credit where its due he was outstanding today and was the main reason we got a clean sheet.

As for the rest of the team it is obvious we play better when Moon is on the pitch. For such a young player he shows an unbelivable ability to create space with clever movement and passing. His first touch always seems to open play up for him and reminds me of Barry Ferguson in his stature/posture and the way he uses his body to protect the ball. He faded for 30 mins today but we cant expect too much too soon from him. That may be down to being in a 3 man midfield though, as he played much better when Weatherston came on and we went 442.

Only other point about the game was playing Savo deep doesn't work. If he plays, he should be the furthest man forward and showed that when Peaso went off. His finish was fantastic.

Quick mention for the ref - I still can't understand how Mooner didn't get a penalty - bizzare.

Obviously, there has been a mistake with that news item.

I thought we were the better team in the Second Half

Should have been I thought we were the BATTERED team in the Second Half

They also missed

I was that embarrassed, I didn't even bother charging out of the dugout to shout at every decision the ref or linesman gave against us

Sadly, we didn't see McCall throw his baseball cap on the ground ala d*** Campbell- one of the funniest moments I have ever seen in person.

You have just described McManus' exact opposite. I like him as a defender but he is the biggest culprit in our side for punting the ball and that I can almost guarantee is the reason we brought in McCaffery and he was dropped.

McManus is by no means the main culprit. Rutkiewicz is by far the worse and McManus will attempt a pass if a pass is on. He also is more discipolined than any oher defender and doesn't go charging around he knows when to go and when to stay. I like him and feel more safe with him in the team than Andersen or Rutkiewicz to be honest.

McManus is by no means the main culprit. Rutkiewicz is by far the worse and McManus will attempt a pass if a pass is on. He also is more discipolined than any oher defender and doesn't go charging around he knows when to go and when to stay. I like him and feel more safe with him in the team than Andersen or Rutkiewicz to be honest.

agree mate. mcmanus is a defender and he defends well. thats his job. fair do's he may punt the ball a lot but sometimes thats better than playing risky passes at the back.

As for the rest of the team it is obvious we play better when Moon is on the pitch. For such a young player he shows an unbelivable ability to create space with clever movement and passing. His first touch always seems to open play up for him and reminds me of Barry Ferguson in his stature/posture and the way he uses his body to protect the ball. He faded for 30 mins today but we cant expect too much too soon from him. That may be down to being in a 3 man midfield though, as he played much better when Weatherston came on and we went 442.

Exactly what I was thinking. I thought we created a lot more when we went to a 4 in the midfield. We certainly got the ball down and it allowed Moon to get the ball in at his feet more. Give Weatherston some time on the park and let him use his pace to get in behind people.

Going back to a four would also allow us to get the most out of Sheerin, as he is always best out on the left linking up with Goran.

Main

Irvine, McCaffrey, Rutkiewicz, Stanic

Weatherston, Craig, Moon, Sheerin

Milne, Jackson

Thoughts?

Exactly what I was thinking. I thought we created a lot more when we went to a 4 in the midfield. We certainly got the ball down and it allowed Moon to get the ball in at his feet more. Give Weatherston some time on the park and let him use his pace to get in behind people.

Going back to a four would also allow us to get the most out of Sheerin, as he is always best out on the left linking up with Goran.

Main

Milne, Jackson

Thoughts?

Good team but how about this

Main

Irvine,McCaffrey,James,Stanic

Weatherston,Hardie,Moon,Sheerin

Milne,Jackson

Subs.Cuthbert,McBreen,McDonald,Rutkiewicz,Anderson.

Which leaves,McManus,Daal,McLaren,Lawrie,McCluskey and Dyer not even inthe squad. Craig left out because he,s only on 1 month loan and will be gone in 2 weeks. Miller of Morton to come in yet and maybe Mensing.

A good looking team I think you'll agree:razz:

Main

Milne, Jackson

Thoughts?

I would go with that with Craig & Sheerin swapped but I think McInnes would go for Savo & McBreen up front. Difficult to drop Savo but I think McBreen & Jacko would work well together. Good to have options though & can Mac afford to make the squad any bigger. There will have to be a few going out on loan with Wullie being the first on the list as he is well down the pecking order now & no one even mentions him now in the squad.

I agree with most of the comments except I don't think we went 4-4-2, I just think we had one forward withdraw a little which is part of the 4-3-3 flexibilty. :wink: That meant we still had three people who now how to score in the box.

If we gain 4 points off the leaders each month (January, February and March) we'll have a very exciting last six weeks. What I'm saying is that it isn't as great a gap when you break it down in time.

Main

Milne, Jackson

Thoughts?

For the moment I'd go with -

-------------------- Main ------------------------

Irvine ---- McCaffrey ---James/Ruti --- Stanic

------ Craig --------Moon --- Sheerin --------

Weatherston -- Milne/McBreen ------ Jackson

For the moment I'd go with -

-------------------- Main ------------------------

Irvine ---- McCaffrey ---James/Ruti --- Stanic

------ Craig --------Moon --- Sheerin --------

Weatherston -- Milne/McBreen ------ Jackson

I like that side, but not sure if a McCaffrey/James combo would have any pace, so one of them or McManus with Ruti/Ando for me.

When Hardie is back Craig or Moon will have to make way, then there is also the question of Mensing. Almost too many options now!