Saints vs. Hamilton Academical 16/02/08

MUZZ

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I'm on the subject why does Irvine insist on taking the throw-in up the line every time - there were a few times today when a safer option was to play the ball across to Main but instead it was thrown up the line for Jacko to get sandwiched off the ball by the Accies players losing us possession again.

We keep on saying Main's strong point is not his kicking so why put him under more pressure by throwing the ball to him when he cn't pick it up and placing him under pressure.

I always teach my boys to put the ball up the line as a riskier throw inside just leaves your defence exposed and places pressure on them.

Today for me apart from being quality getting it right round Accies was that we really showed the quality and depth of our squad as a whole. What other teams could replace quality(arguably to some people) like Cameron, Quinn and Weatherston with Sheerin, Moon and Milne. Really pleasing but reinforces how dissappointing it is thats its looking unlikely that this current squad will get a crack at the SPL next season.

I think Hamilton will win the league. Not cause they are good (I think Stirling caused us more anxiety than Hamilton) but cause they know how to influence the game.

Defending free kicks - they know how to make 7 yards look like 10, and when the ref told them to take a couple of steps back, when he turned his back, they went forward again!

Substitutions - they always make sure the guy they take off is farthest away from the tunnel. But why does the ref allow them to just walk off? I was thinking today, why does a sub have to come off all the way across the pitch. If he's near the bye line at the opposite side, why not he just leaves the pitch from there and walk round??

Harrass the ref - previously Morton were given a goal and then denied it after protests from the Accies players. Today I saw the intimidation tactics in action. A terrible, terrible foul which should have been a straight red in my opinion was only a yellow card. But the ref had 4 Hamilton players in his face to ensure the decision was a weak one.

Time wasting - at every opportunity. Take Halliwell for example, placing a goal kick at the left of his goal then deciding it would waste some time if he took it from the right.

Yes, I think Biily Smart's circus, sorry Billy Reid's team will go up, but not on merit.

But I'm still hoping for the good guys ;-)

We keep on saying Main's strong point is not his kicking so why put him under more pressure by throwing the ball to him when he cn't pick it up and placing him under pressure.

I always teach my boys to put the ball up the line as a riskier throw inside just leaves your defence exposed and places pressure on them.

My worry is that he did it every time and it led to us losing the ball. I agree Main's kicking isn't great but when he's in acres of space in his box and Accies only have Richard "Mr Invisible" Offiong up front having a half-hearted attempt at being a striker, I didn't think it was that much of a risk.

Good result today but for the first 60 mins we were poor. It took a few truly awful decisions from the ref to get us going. Ruti got booked for winning the ball but there had been a few tackles going in from both sides just before it . I think the ref made up his mind to book a player the next time someone hit the ground & it just happened to be another Accies dive.

Irvine should never have let Gil---- get his shot in & overall I don`t think he had a good game. Not sure if a shot from their should have beat the goalie but hey .

Sheerin controlled the game when he came on & Mooner put himself about a bit ,something that Cameron never did along with shirking every challange & header.Reminds me of Wullie.

Craig had a good game & scored a great goal. Del should try to get him on a pre contract.

Peaso scored but did nothing else.

Was happy to see Davie get a start but he never did himself any favoures & looks like he is more effective as a sub.

Good to see Grady miss a sitter & the game pass Mensing by as usual.

...but then the sound of a kicked seat echoes round the silent stand and news filters through that grady's popped up with a 93rd minute winner

I'm pretty sure that was my seat!

Anyhow great result today saints, despite not playing that great.

The better team won tho an sheerin made the difference.

for the past couple of months i've came home an said to the wife "leagues over now" then next week"it's back on"-she doesn't listen to me now but hey it really is back on - keep the faith!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While I'm on the subject why does Irvine insist on taking the throw-in up the line every time - there were a few times today when a safer option was to play the ball across to Main but instead it was thrown up the line for Jacko to get sandwiched off the ball by the Accies players losing us possession again.

I agree, even the ball to Ruti was on several times, as it wasn't like Grady was going to do us any harm. In saying that, the one time Peaso showed for the ball (like Jason used to) and Irvine threw it to feet, we scored our first goal. Accies clearly weren't expecting that. Maybe we were lulling them into a false sense of security! :lol:

The quality of our throw-ins has been a long time concern of mine, we must be the only team that give the ball away more often than not at throw-ins - the lack of movement & variation is appalling.

On several occassions today I bellowed at Main to give then another option but Main is not interested in receiving the ball from a throw-in and basically turns away from them.

Have to agree ,our throw ins are more use to the opposition than they arev to us. It`s been the same for 3 or 4 seasons now. It`s not rocket science & surely they can see there is a problem there & sort it out in training. Lack of movement seems to be a problem in many areas with Saints team.

As for not giving the ball to Main. The defence don`t seem to have much faith in him as at least on 2 occasions Ruti put the ball out for a throw when there was an easy ball back to Main & his constant bellowing of`man on`even when we are up at the halfway line is bound to put the defence off.

Good result yesterday but don't think we should get too carried away. As has been mentioned, we were dire for the first 60mins. Hamilton didn't seem bothered at all for most of the game and our level of commitment in the first half was nothing short of embarrassing. Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted with the result but I feel we need to stop waiting for a half-time kick up the arse and use the skill that we obviously have to kill teams off as early as possible.

Oh, and Cameron should feel free to piss off back to Tannadump whenever he chooses!

2nd time i have seem Hamilton and think they are possibly the most negative team in the league. Some of their cheating was appauling and I have never been so happy to see Peaso score the winner to see that fat prick Reid's puss drop.

One minute he is time wasting like his team, then they are behind he is chasing the ball down the touch line to get it back in play. What an utter wanker. Detest him ever since he sprinted down the touchline celebrating their win the semis of the challenge cup a few seasons back.