PLOUGH INN, any memories? good or bad

saint sid

drove past it today (bit of a landmark) and noticed its half demolished, Had my 1st pint there when i was about 13, It was dinnertime at school and we got a 4th year to go to the bar, then when we were sitting at a table supping our pints two teachers walked-in, looked at us then walked past like they hadnt seen us and went to the bar and ordered drinks, ha ha, They would have been in more trouble than us no doubt.

I've fond memories of PHS 5th / 6th year / 18th birthday parties in the function room. What a dump! Sticky carpets, foul lavvies, dodgy buffets, and best of all the staff didn't seem to mind what kind of rammy the night ended in.

Gee whizz are there really a lot of "trannies" "swingers" and "gay people in Perth ?

I remember several years back of a murder in Inverness-that was committed by the guy who recently held up the reliance crew at the PRI - he killed one of the gay community in Inverness and apparently when the cops started interviewing folk they discovered over 8000 gays living in and around Inverness.

Venue for the Legendary All Mod Cons 25th Anniversary 5 years ago - great night tho' I say it masel ; )

Lots of good bands played their in the past - I believe The Humblebums with Billy Connolly & Gerry Rafferty played there in the late 60's too ???

I think Eddie & The Hot Rods were the last I saw - only about 25 folk that night

Remember seeing Billy connolly there - it was just after his solo comedy career took off and it was really busy. Best gig I was at in the plough was Jack Bruce (of Cream fame) & friends - all from big bands, played loads of Cream stuff + stuff from the others own past like my cherrona (spelling error ? ) as it was the drummer from the knack. Really good night.

Remember seeing Billy connolly there - it was just after his solo comedy career took off and it was really busy. Best gig I was at in the plough was Jack Bruce (of Cream fame) & friends - all from big bands, played loads of Cream stuff + stuff from the others own past like my cherrona (spelling error ? ) as it was the drummer from the knack. Really good night.

I was at that Billy Connolly night too. Excellent. I lived close to it too when I was in my teens and the public bar was what the lounge bar became, and the lounge bar was what the public bar became. I thought it was better that way round. On Friday/Saturday we used to meet around 7pm and watch from the then public bar through the lounge bar and through the window to see if there was a bus ccoming in order to have a quick exit and get the bus down town for our night. Often we kept missing the buses and stayed a while.

I remember with great affection the bands that appeared on Saturday lunchtimes in the 70's who basically jammed with each other causing movements between bands and the creation of new ones e.g. Nazareth. Some of the music jams laste 30 or 40 minutes and were true blues. The great Ken Tait was manager then.

My second phase was Saturday lunchtimes again from 1989 until a couple of years ago as a place to meet and have a drink before the Saints games. Less and less people seemed to be turning up which might explain its demise.

After seeing some of the bands there that I did I seen no problem with S&M nights since that was probably a lot more tame than these bands.

Now just great memories.

• 12 years later...

GREAT VENUE ....remember  Boots for Dancing , Dumpy`s Rusty Nuts , So You Think You`re a Cowboy  , always a good laugh and good crowds , Thursday night in Perth was bangin , bet half the crowd are deed now though , ah well

• 7 months later...
On 5/25/2008 at 1:29 AM, grr said:

Yeah was at the Jack Bruce gig too.Thats a long time ago now.Early 80s?