Enigmatic

O'Rourke

Who is the most endearing enigma to pull on a Saints strip? Who had the ability to turn from the sublime to the ridiculous sometimes without even changing stride?

My all-time favourite was Duncan flippen Lambie from the 1970s. I remember him waltzing with consummate ease past bemused defenders (in a footballing era when wingers were often maimed for fun by nutcase full backs like his brother John) only to trundle the ball past a gaping goal after rounding the goalkeeper with a mesmeric bodyswerve.

He left us to ply his trade in the then West Germany with an outfit called Furth. Neither was ever heard of again....

Nah, he was just dreadful. More of a waste of a shirt than even Willie McLaren and that's saying something.

Crazy talk! I'm no huge fan of either of them, but Stevenson is a much better player and made a far bigger contribution to Saints than McLaren ever did.

Crazy talk! I'm no huge fan of either of them, but Stevenson is a much better player and made a far bigger contribution to Saints than McLaren ever did.

I detested Stevo the headless chicken though so I'm pretty biased. Having said that, I stick by my original assessment. :cool:

There's certainly no way you could describe him as enigmatic.

• 8 months later...

One for the older readers, but Joe "The Fridge" McGurn was surprisingly skilful some weeks and rank rotten couldn't kick his erse the next. Sometimes he managed it in the same game, seem to remember him beating a couple and slotting home a screamer at Fir Park a couple of minutes after tripping over the ball.

Ahem, I give you the Swankster.

Perhaps my language is poor, but I wouldn't say Swankie is an enigma. I would say he's a confidence player. Swankie could probably hit 100 corners every day for a month and hit a target area with 95% accuracy, irrespective of his confidence level.

His ability to roast a full back is proportional to his confidence.

O'Halloran (was he nicknamed Rhino?) or McMahon couldn't hit 95% of corners accurately if their lives depended on it. I seem remember that the home game after Gerry scored that goal against Leighton he came on as a sub and hit two successive corners out for throw-ins! That, to me, is enigmatic.