Enigmatic

O'Rourke

Jimmy Wright

Glad he's not forgotten altogether. One of my all time favourite Saints players even though he never fulfilled his obvious potential. Superbly skillfull player.

Will never forget his free kick at Dens in the 5-3 game. Thomson Allan's probably still looking for it.

Glad he's not forgotten altogether. One of my all time favourite Saints players even though he never fulfilled his obvious potential. Superbly skillfull player.

Will never forget his free kick at Dens in the 5-3 game. Thomson Allan's probably still looking for it.

Rememeber it well! I was in what is the derry then,not too comfy.Jimmy's cousin worked with me,and he'd have been a great player but for his "domestic" incidents.Don Revie came up twice when he went awol at Leeds,that's how much he rated him!

I agree with you. There's a few names mentioned that have brought back nice memories. Joe McGurn I have mentioned before but Jimmy Wright really was something special. I seem to remember him getting the ball in line with the dugout at Muirton, skipping past a couple of players ony to be met by 2 or three of their defenders (whatever the team was I cant remember now). It looked like there was nowhere for him to go then, out of the blue he hit this amazing curling, dipping shot that smacked off the bar.

Although he didn't score, it was an awesome pice of skill.

• 2 years later...

Jimmy Wright scored the best goal I've ever seen. A reserve game against QOS - beat about 15 men before scoring our 7th in a 7 -1 win. Only time I ever saw the whole stand on their feet - most of the crowd at reserve games in those days were pipe smoking pensioners

I saw him score at Dens,from the touch line 30 yards out,against Scotlands Thomson Allan,to make it 3-3,unfortunately ,we got beat 5-3,and i was in the derry with my dad,taking no shit!!

• 2 years later...

Who is the most endearing enigma to pull on a Saints strip? Who had the ability to turn from the sublime to the ridiculous sometimes without even changing stride?

My all-time favourite was Duncan flippen Lambie from the 1970s. I remember him waltzing with consummate ease past bemused defenders (in a footballing era when wingers were often maimed for fun by nutcase full backs like his brother John) only to trundle the ball past a gaping goal after rounding the goalkeeper with a mesmeric bodyswerve.

He left us to ply his trade in the then West Germany with an outfit called Furth. Neither was ever heard of again....

Agreed. He really split opinion. Loads of pace and no little skill but pretty inconsistent. One of my favourites.

Felix McGrogan  - with a name like that he should have been a goalkeeper.  Did he not score a couple of goals in a rare win against Celtic at Muirton in the mid-60's?  Isaac English (another great name) had enigmatic qualities too.

Knew Felix quite well, he settled in Glenrothes, but sadly passed away a few years ago, really good guy