Saints 3-1 East Stirlingshire

Radford 72

McLean

Anderson - Rutkiewicz - James - Trialist

Hardie - Sheerin

Milne

MacDonald - Holmes - Weatherston

Caff replaced Ando at half-time, with Weatherston and Peaso swapping sides, so try and bring the former and the trialist left back more into things. As the half wore on, Reynolds, Doris, Kelly and Kerr were introduced.

Saints were one up at the break when Ando nodded in a good Sheerin FK and the Wiz doubled the lead from the spot after Weatherston was fouled following a great run. Good play from Weatherston set up Peaso for a neat third in a game Saints pretty much controlled. We knocked the ball around fine but the gloss was taken off things when the 'Shire scored a late consolation PK.

Cheers for the info ....I really wish we could keep a clean sheet though.I know thet're only friendlies but as I,ve stated before, the best way to win the title is to be tight at the back and it,s been a long time since we were that.

No Irvine in the side??? Should anything be read into that????

Good to see Sheerin still doing it.

Cheers for the info ....I really wish we could keep a clean sheet though.I know thet're only friendlies but as I,ve stated before, the best way to win the title is to be tight at the back and it,s been a long time since we were that.

No Irvine in the side??? Should anything be read into that????

Good to see Sheerin still doing it.

It may be that the team tonight is essentially our reserves. No Sammy, Swankie, Morris, Irvine, Millar, Jacko, Main, Craig and no left back?! Of tonights starting XI, only Hardie and Holmes will be regular starts IMHO.

Questions, questions...

James looked fine. Much better than his appearances in the second half of last season where it was clear he'd been out injured. His on a level footing with the rest of the squad again.

Caff is right footed and actually featured at right back last night, although I doubt that's a long term option and was more about getting him game time.

I'll be amazed if the trialist, with his dazzling orange boots, gets a contract. On limited viewing, Topolski is a much better option.

I was someone who was worried about the defence going into the season and was hoping for clean sheets but in the two most recent games, the defence has generally been rock solid, especially last night. The goal against Montrose was worrying because it was a(nother) stupid mistake but last night we looked solid again and it was a tired tackle in the dying minutes when we'd already won the game.

Wouldn't read anything into the selection. Most of the squad were present at the game but McInnes clearly just wanted to get everything who didn't play on Saturday some game time.

David Weatherston showed the sort of form we saw last pre-season. I really hope he keeps the standards high and gets a chance this term.

David Weatherston looked a much better player towards the end of last season who wasn't so easily pushed off the ball. He also played pretty well when he came on against Montrose on Saturday. Would be nice to see a bit more of him before the season starts but I think he's giving himself a good chance of more first team football this season.

As said, it was 3-1 against Hibs, with Holmes, Morris and Jackson scoring second half goals for Saints against, again as said, a pretty young Hibs side.

Holmes also scored, along with Davie Weatherston, in a closed doors win over Ayr United on 5th July.

Regards the 'Shire players last night, none of them really looked above Third Division standard. A few familar faces in their side though.

I was someone who was worried about the defence going into the season and was hoping for clean sheets but in the two most recent games, the defence has generally been rock solid, especially last night. The goal against Montrose was worrying because it was a(nother) stupid mistake but last night we looked solid again and it was a tired tackle in the dying minutes when we'd already won the game.

Still share those worries it seems like the Saints infliction if we could have eliminated stupid mistakes in the last few seasons we would be an SPL team. Most teams would say the same but I think saints are more culpabale than most.

Still share those worries it seems like the Saints infliction if we could have eliminated stupid mistakes in the last few seasons we would be an SPL team. Most teams would say the same but I think saints are more culpabale than most.

I would say we struggle to break down teams who sit in. For the most part when teams have a go at us we can tear them up on the counter. If we can turn a bit of dominance into goals this season hopefully we can cut out some of the draws that murder our points total.

I would say we struggle to break down teams who sit in. For the most part when teams have a go at us we can tear them up on the counter. If we can turn a bit of dominance into goals this season hopefully we can cut out some of the draws that murder our points total.

A couple of interesting points as to where our weaknesses are just made by Soulful and Johnstoun above, and this probably could do with a thread on its own.

In my opinion, the crucial thing we have to be able to do this season to maximise our points haul, is learn how to deal with teams who close us down quickly, wherever that is on the park. We don't seem to be able to deal with that tactic, and don't employ it ourselves. The upshot is that the patient passing game across the back 4 we seem to play is forced into an aimless punt up to the front because one of the back line has allowed themselves to be put under pressure because of being closed down. More movement from midfield is what's required this season. Creating and looking for the spaces, together with quicker movement of the ball is what's required.

I thought they were calling the trialist Woody! the boy was a total shambles if i'm honest, he looked uncomfortable on the ball, his first touch was useless and he seemed unable to get up the wing.

Saints never really needed to get out of first gear, thought Kev James had a good game, winning everything in the air as usual. One thing that did have me worried were the conflicting messages coming from James and Ruti during the first half. On 2 occaisions Ando and Hardie didnt have a clue where to play as Ruti was saying one thing then James said something else straight after

Interesting to see Swanks, Irvine and Millar in McDonalds at half time scoffing meals! I though pre season was all about gaining fitness, would've thought McDonalds would've been off the cards!