Saints - Strange But True

soulfulsaint

In season 1973 / 74 Jackie Stewart, the then manager , had a young player on trial at Muirton Park. This youngster, who eventually became a Scotland international and a Saints manager , had scored numerous goals for Grandtully Vale , Vale of Atholl and Bankfoot Juniors. Mr Stewart decided not to sign him because of his hair style ! His name - Paul Sturrock.

In season 1973 / 74 Jackie Stewart, the then manager , had a young player on trial at Muirton Park. This youngster, who eventually became a Scotland international and a Saints manager , had scored numerous goals for Grandtully Vale , Vale of Atholl and Bankfoot Juniors. Mr Stewart decided not to sign him because of his hair style ! His name - Paul Sturrock.

Would that be the same St Johnstone that spurned the chance to sign a homesick Stirling teenager then based at Leeds - William Bremner.

Sergei Baltacha scored a belter that day. Sclaff from edge of the box, right under the Pars keeper (Westwater?). Great stuff. Huge Saints support too.

Was a bit steaming that day and ended up in the pars end.Met up with a few more saintees in the wrong end.We had a carry oot and were passing it round to keep safe.

Stewart Kennedy. Dunfermline. Sergei's (first? only?) goal. 3-0

Pouring rain. Water leaking on us from broken pipe above. Saints fan asking a Fife policeman if his radio was working. Policeman says 'Yes'. Saints fan says then can you phone a @*&^ing plumber? Policeman and many Saints fans have a laugh. No one is arrested. Those were the days!

Willie Brown , for those who are not acquainted with this Dundee lad, was signed around 1986 by Paul Sturrock , from Tayport Amateurs. He was an uncompromising, intimidating forward who thought of nothing but getting "stuck " into the opposing defenders. He was perceived as one who would not accept a derogatory joke on the good citizens of Dundee otherwise your facilities would be irreversably scrambled. He had a very short fuse and recollect a sending off at Stenhousemuir.

Some ten years ago I used to patronise his commodious convenience shop in Commercial Street , Dundee. He spoke about his time at Perth and was surprised that he was still recognised. One day I handed him a Saints Fanzine that mentioned his nickname - psycho. He asked me to repeat psycho and what it meant !

At that point I thought of making a quick exit ! He then burst out laughing .

After two years the premises were converted into a tanning studio. Most appropriate.

Luggy and Geoff were invited by Fergie to a Man Utd reserve match to run the rule over a young player Fergie said could do a job for Saints.

At half time Fergie went to see Luggy and Geoff to see what they thought of the young player and did they fancy signing him.

They had both decided he was no good but liked the look of the wee red haired midfielder, would Fergie release him to Saints, " no chance" said Fergie, "he is going to be the next Kenny Dalglish".

Paul Scholes was that player.

True story.

Molly, is a great guy, when geoff first took over a delapetated muirton he appealed for fans to tidy up the ground, do a bit of painting ect.Over the course of the close season around half a dozen fans and iwere joined by willie and charlie adam.

Part of the deal was a free lunch and a couple of pints in the social club at lunch time, and indeed some evenings, it was after one of these evenings we left the club at closing time, at that time i had a flat just over the road and the three of us sat up till the wee small hours, chatting about football ect.Charlie and willie also liked to smoke some "joint " kind of thing , but i have no idea what that is!!!!!!.One lunch time an old pensioner who used to go into the club came in with his messages, willie spotted half a dozen eggs in his bag, when the old guy went to the toilet willie got charlie to keep the auld chap talking while he took the eggs out of the bag,blew them out, and put the shells back in the box and the bag.......!!!!!! the old guy went home and he few hours later was back in the club ranting and raving about egg shells... cue innocent faces, after a wee while non of us could keep a sraight face willie owned up and gave the auld guy money to buy more eggs........ funny as f**k!!!!!!!!!

Molly, is a great guy, when geoff first took over a delapetated muirton he appealed for fans to tidy up the ground, do a bit of painting ect.Over the course of the close season around half a dozen fans and iwere joined by willie and charlie adam.

Part of the deal was a free lunch and a couple of pints in the social club at lunch time, and indeed some evenings, it was after one of these evenings we left the club at closing time, at that time i had a flat just over the road and the three of us sat up till the wee small hours, chatting about football ect.Charlie and willie also liked to smoke some "joint " kind of thing , but i have no idea what that is!!!!!!.One lunch time an old pensioner who used to go into the club came in with his messages, willie spotted half a dozen eggs in his bag, when the old guy went to the toilet willie got charlie to keep the auld chap talking while he took the eggs out of the bag,blew them out, and put the shells back in the box and the bag.......!!!!!! the old guy went home and he few hours later was back in the club ranting and raving about egg shells... cue innocent faces, after a wee while non of us could keep a sraight face willie owned up and gave the auld guy money to buy more eggs........ funny as f**k!!!!!!!!!

Great tale lark, that made me laugh. Top guys for helping out at the ground too.