#16 - 08/11/08 - Ross County (h)

saints1989

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sort of match (along with Clyde away) is going to be the real test of whether we are any good now IMO. We are top of the league and had a good run against teams that had previously embarassed us, now it'll be harder to keep the momentum going. Last season there would have been a high possiblity for a draw with a game like this, due to the other team simply putting in more effort. On paper it should be an easy win, but it'll mean scrapping for it, I hope McInnes has got into the squad the idea they are going to have to fight for it every game, not just for 5 games until they've made up for the start of the season then can take it easy.

We still don't seem to be firing on all cylinders (which is a good sign), so my thoughts for this depend...

If we score within the first ten minutes we will kick on and win convincingly and the confidence will grow and grow.

If we don't we will still win but again it will be a hard thought victory.

I don't mind the second type, but wouldn't mine an occasional first type to build up support etc.

Ross County have won 3 out of their last 4 games, with their only defeat to Queens. Of those three wins, 2 x 3-0 and 1 x 2-0. Not bad form, albeit against Morton, Airdrie and Clyde. I think we are being a wee bit over-confident. It will be a tough game and I would happily take 1-0.

I mentioned at the start of the season in another thread that i think County are a tidy side. They thumped Clyde 3-0 at the weekend so that will help them plus the fact that they have a nice look to their squad including Bullock, Lawson, Golabek, Morrison, Hart, Brittain, Craig, Daal, Higgins. They only sit 2 points behind Dunfermline in the league.

I'd take a scrappy 1-0 / 2-1 over a well organised side.

With a potential mid of Craig, Morris, Hardie and Sheerinho, this should be a cakewalk. Would be typical if Daal were to score against us, though. Hopefully he gets lost in the dressing room and misses kick-off. He may as well have done that for us.

Is Miller suspended/injured or you you just feel he should be dropped like a lead balloon?

Is Miller suspended/injured or you you just feel he should be dropped like a lead balloon?

took the words right out my mouth SS, IMO Miller has been our most consistent player. Our only consistent player from way back in august.

I would far rather have an in form Miller in the midfield than a returning Morris who could do a job or, since he comes with high expectations, let us down.

Not a chance worth taking

if it aint broke, dont fix it

I would keep the same line-up that started against Dunfermline. We could do with going in to the away game at Dundee in a position where we can lose and still stay top of the league, so another two victories against County and Clyde are vital. County aren't actually that far behind us (7 points I think), but Clyde are well down the league, so 6 points is achievable.

We shouldn't get ahead of ourselves though - this is Saints we are talking about! If we play as a unit and everyone plays to their abilities we should be able to win at home against anyone in this league, but no-one can afford to be over-confident.

took the words right out my mouth SS, IMO Miller has been our most consistent player. Our only consistent player from way back in august.

I would far rather have an in form Miller in the midfield than a returning Morris who could do a job or, since he comes with high expectations, let us down.

Not a chance worth taking

if it aint broke, dont fix it

True. I'd still like to see him at least make an appearance, even if it was off the bench for the second half.

The way I see it, Hardie is undroppable, as is most of the defense albeit Craig moving forward to midfield. The Wizard is similar. He's not always the fastest player, but he shows brilliance time and time again. Just wish he'd score more outfield goals like the one against the Scum! I wouldn't mind Savo or Sherlock coming off for Jacko/Peaso, nor Millar coming off for Swankie/Mooner, assuming Moon doesn't start.

i'm with beatson , by the sounds of things Mooner should be ok to start so id start with the same line up. great to have the likes of jody swanker ando an sammy on the bench-many folk would have them in their sarting line up at the start of the season!

And lets no underestimate County!

Ross County have won 3 out of their last 4 games, with their only defeat to Queens. Of those three wins, 2 x 3-0 and 1 x 2-0. Not bad form, albeit against Morton, Airdrie and Clyde. I think we are being a wee bit over-confident. It will be a tough game and I would happily take 1-0.

with you on that Broonie - narrow victory amass the points and leave the showboating til May.

I would keep the same line-up that started against Dunfermline. We could do with going in to the away game at Dundee in a position where we can lose and still stay top of the league, so another two victories against County and Clyde are vital. County aren't actually that far behind us (7 points I think), but Clyde are well down the league, so 6 points is achievable.

We shouldn't get ahead of ourselves though - this is Saints we are talking about! If we play as a unit and everyone plays to their abilities we should be able to win at home against anyone in this league, but no-one can afford to be over-confident.

I'd be tempted to bring Ando in at Left back from the start, move Craig into midfield and drop either Sheerin or Mooner to the bench. I think Craig has been decent at left back but he struggles to get a foot in at times, we are also missing out on a lot by playing him as far back the field as shown by his second half performance on Saturday. Ando has been pretty good at left back any time I've seen him (actually, he's much better at left back than right) and he'd probably still have been there had he not picked up a knock at Palmerston.

As others have said this is a time for grinding out results not swaggering about like we've already won the league, 1-0 would be just peachy. I think 6 points from the next two games is really important as Dundee could well be back on a game by the time we play them in a few weeks.

As has been said, we are in exactly the same position as two years ago, top of the league after 12 games with 23 points. We when lost three of the next four and were the same distance behind Gretna as Dundee currently are behind us. That run included a trip to Dingwall where we were outstanding the first half and led 2-0 before ending up with only a point.

I posted a thread the other day and will repeat what I said about us being in contention plenty of times at the start of November but we never kick on so I'm not building my hopes up this time either.

County have won five out of their last six and have strikers that have done for us in the past; Winters and Higgins have scored 10 goals against us in the last four years. Add in Craig who has also grabbed a few against us and Daal, for whom the script is written, and the defence need to maintain their good form of late, especially when County have guys like Hart and Brittain in midfield. Their own defensive record has been decent in recent weeks but that's the weakest area of their team IMO and Samuel got a lot of joy against them in Dingwall, whereas Holmes hasn't made as much of an impact. I wonder if that is giving McInnes food for thought.

Swankie has to come back in for me with it being a home match and Morris got more game time under his belt in today's closed doors game. Maybe just a spot on the bench again though? So many options with everyone fit though, there are again going to be good players sitting in the stand.

Fingers crossed there are no silly bookings that would rule anyone out of the Dundee match.