#19 - 06/12/08 - Queen of the South (h)

rbb i dont criticise kj because of his injuries, i just dont think he is all that good, as i have said on numerous occasions rusty and caff are better together imo

we are unbeaten since ages ago and we are conceding little from open play or we certainly had been and i think rusty and caff have been rock solid since the start of that run

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we are unbeaten since ages ago and we are conceding little from open play or we certainly had been and i think rusty and caff have been rock solid since the start of that run

My thoughts exactly, if Caff is fit he must play! If it's not broke don't fix it!

As for the midfield and strikers, we are spolit for choice at the moment, I'm not even going to attempt to name the starting eleven!

It's great to have every player fighting for their place! Enjoy it while it lasts cos it ain't always going to be like this!

James is absoultey garbage. Fair enough, he can stand there and head the ball clear but I think people get fooled into believing he is a good player because of this. Everyone thinks that he's a threat at set pieces but he is actually a terrible attacking header of the ball. Head like a 50p piece. For the amount of times he wins a header in the box his conversion rate it poor. We score more goals indirectly from his headers, which to be fair is a decent attribute.

In defence, he chases after the ball like a school boy, leaving his position at centre back vacant. He especially likes to take over the full backs job of tackling the winger. This means half the time when a cross ball comes in James is nowhere to be seen. He's also slow as hell, and when he runs its like Bambi on ice. I get embarrassed watching James play for Saints.

And don't even start me on the way he abuses his team mates throughout a game. A captain coaches and motivates his way though a match. James shatters and demotivates all around him.

You can't doubt the guys commitment and effort, but Caff is a much better option at the back.

James is absoultey garbage. Fair enough, he can stand there and head the ball clear but I think people get fooled into believing he is a good player because of this. Everyone thinks that he's a threat at set pieces but he is actually a terrible attacking header of the ball. Head like a 50p piece. For the amount of times he wins a header in the box his conversion rate it poor. We score more goals indirectly from his headers, which to be fair is a decent attribute.

In defence, he chases after the ball like a school boy, leaving his position at centre back vacant. He especially likes to take over the full backs job of tackling the winger. This means half the time when a cross ball comes in James is nowhere to be seen. He's also slow as hell, and when he runs its like Bambi on ice. I get embarrassed watching James play for Saints.

And don't even start me on the way he abuses his team mates throughout a game. A captain coaches and motivates his way though a match. James shatters and demotivates all around him.

The worrying thing is I reckon you actually believe all that. He's a million miles away from his best as he's played 8 games in two seasons (and is injured again ahead of tomorrow) but a fit Kevin James has been a massive asset to Saints over his time here. The problem is he can't seem to stay injury free any more and as a result isn't making nearly enough of a contribution on the pitch.

Do you really think all his managers have just let him shatter and demotivate those around him throughout his career? He's been captain of every club he's played for bar Hearts and was given the armband straight away again last week. You are making a big call against McInnes (and Coyle) with everything you've said about James.

Do you really think all his managers have just let him shatter and demotivate those around him throughout his career? He's been captain of every club he's played for bar Hearts and was given the armband straight away again last week. You are making a big call against McInnes (and Coyle) with everything you've said about James.

It depends how you react though. Some players respond to the way James leads the team. Confident players respond to it. When a team is devoid of confidence (like we were at the start of the season) he is the worst type of character to have leading the team. He can shout, and organise, and give people a bollocking but not everyone responds to that. Some players need a bit of encouragement to not dwell on their mistakes and get on with it.

Most players know when they have made a mistake - they don't need to be bollocked for it.

My line-up for tomorrow would be:

Main,

Irvine, Rutkiewicz, McCaffrey, Craig,

Millar, Hardie, Morris/Moon (can't decide who to drop), Swankie

Holmes, Milne.

Subs - Hillcoat, Morris/Moon, Anderson, Samuel, Sheerin.

The thing is there are so many options. Anderson could play at left back with Craig on the left. That means Swankie needs to go to the right, probably at the expense of Morris/Moon when Millar moves to the centre. Or you could have Sheerinho on the left, again moving other midfielders about.

At least we know we can change things around considerably just by bringing on one substitute if it isn't going ou way.

Tough call between Morris and Moon. Moon looked good last week until he got booked and dropped out of the game, and Morris was good until he tired.

My line-up for tomorrow would be:

Main,

Irvine, Rutkiewicz, McCaffrey, Craig,

Millar, Hardie, Morris/Moon (can't decide who to drop), Swankie

Holmes, Milne.

Subs - Hillcoat, Morris/Moon, Anderson, Samuel, Sheerin.

The thing is there are so many options. Anderson could play at left back with Craig on the left. That means Swankie needs to go to the right, probably at the expense of Morris/Moon when Millar moves to the centre. Or you could have Sheerinho on the left, again moving other midfielders about.

At least we know we can change things around considerably just by bringing on one substitute if it isn't going ou way.

Tough call between Morris and Moon. Moon looked good last week until he got booked and dropped out of the game, and Morris was good until he tired.

Main

Irvine Caff Rusty Craig

Millar MMM Morris Merlin

Peaso/Holmes(If Holmes isn't 100%) Savo

Subs; Peaso/Holmes, Moon, Swankie, Samuel, Hillcoat

I'd play Morris first half, Moon second half.That way you get the best of both - the fresh craft and guile of Morris, then the pace and energy of Mooner in the second half as the players around him tire. I'd be surprised if Del did anything else, really.

Main

Irvine Caff Rusty Craig

Millar MMM Morris Merlin

Peaso/Holmes(If Holmes isn't 100%) Savo

Subs; Peaso/Holmes, Moon, Swankie, Samuel, Hillcoat

I'd play Morris first half, Moon second half.That way you get the best of both - the fresh craft and guile of Morris, then the pace and energy of Mooner in the second half as the players around him tire. I'd be surprised if Del did anything else, really.

You haven't got a defender on the bench laddo..Gotta have Ando on the bench. 1 goalie, 1 defender, 2 midfielders and a forward. Holmes will be fit, no place for McDonald

It depends how you react though. Some players respond to the way James leads the team. Confident players respond to it. When a team is devoid of confidence (like we were at the start of the season) he is the worst type of character to have leading the team. He can shout, and organise, and give people a bollocking but not everyone responds to that. Some players need a bit of encouragement to not dwell on their mistakes and get on with it.

Most players know when they have made a mistake - they don't need to be bollocked for it.

He isn't like that with everyone though. I've seen him in reserve games alongside guys like Steven Kerr (who makes his fair share of mistakes) and he's far more reserved with him as he realises that bellowing at that specific player won't help him. With the more senior guys he can be harsh but then he's nearly always the one to say "well done" when they do something well. He does organise the side very well.

Of course there are faults and you nailed one when you mentioned him sometimes thinking he's a one man team but any other weaknesses in his game at the moment are down to the fact he's barely played any football in the past couple of years, which is obviously a problem in itself.

As for the side tomorrow, I think McInnes' comments about picking a team for the occasion is quite telling and I wouldn't be amazed if there were a few surprises like last week.

Any word on the state of the pitch/game being off.I realise that the weather has improved and it's not quite so cold but what's the Hampden roar with snow. Any lying on the surface and if there is , are they leaving it there overnight to protect the playing surface or are they /have they lifted it?????

Yeah , I saw that and that's why I'm asking.

Aye, it was MMM collecting his PA player of the month award on Tuseday. Pitch is clear and the only thing that could spoil tomorrow is if the car park freezes solid!! IIRR we had a fame called off last season (or was it the season before?) due to the car park being frozen and too dangerous to walk on..........

You haven't got a defender on the bench laddo..Gotta have Ando on the bench. 1 goalie, 1 defender, 2 midfielders and a forward. Holmes will be fit, no place for McDonald

D'oh. Forgot about Ando. :oops:

It's either him or Millar I forget. :laugh:

Swap Swankie for Ando. Moon's on much better form.

And there's undersoil heating, so snow shouldn't be too much of a concern.

Big game, big support and hopefully a big three points.

QoS have been poor of late, so I expect us with the help of a big crowd and vocal backing to turn them over.

I think Moon will be unfairly dropped, he was my MoM against Dundee, but I reckon Hardie will come in for him, but it should be Morris who is dropped. But, Del will be under pressure to play the highly paid players, so despite the right up he gave Mooner in the Telegraph, I think he will be dropped from the XI and may not even be in the 16!!

I think he'll go with;

Main

Irvine Craig Caff/James Rutkiewicz

Millar Hardie Morris Swankie

Savo Holmes

Hillcoat, Anderson, Samuel, Sheerin and Moon/Peaso

or

Main

Irvine Craig Caff/James Rutkiewicz

Millar Hardie Morris

Savo Holmes Samuel

Hillcoat, Anderson, Peaso, Swankie and Sheerin/Moon

So as you can see, hard to fit the lad in the 16, which is a shame as he outplayed Morris last weekend.

Aye, it was MMM collecting his PA player of the month award on Tuseday. Pitch is clear and the only thing that could spoil tomorrow is if the car park freezes solid!! IIRR we had a fame called off last season (or was it the season before?) due to the car park being frozen and too dangerous to walk on..........

raith rovers in the cup was the game that was called off, mind speaking to savo down the bookies on that saturday