#20 - 13/12/08 - Morton (h)

So then , whats the thoughts of the masses on this game. Will Del revert to 4-4-2 or stick with 4-3-3. ( or maybe bamboozle us with something completely different??) Again this will be a tough game. The Greenock minks have found a wee bit of form of late and will be carrying a bit of confidence.As for Saints, 3 draws on the spin aint exactally inspiring but the fact that in all these games we played pretty pish in large parts and still did not lose must count for something.So what needs to change this weekend to get us back to winning ways? I still wish we would play the ball on the deck more, as when we do, we seem to take teams apart. No news coming out of McD yet regarding any injuries. Caff, Rusty and Millar must be getting close to picking up a suspension, with 5 ,4 and 4 bookings respectively ..

If we are to take all 3 points , we must really improve the quality of the final ball when we are close to the opposition goal and I hope some work will be done on crosses in training this week. Our crossing is nothing short of shite at the moment. Far to often the ball doesn't beat the first man. I've asked this before but I will again. Can we PLEASE have a player on the front post when we have a corner and if the delivery is poor we may still be able to create something with flick ons or at least retaining possesion and being able to knock it back towards the corner taker so he can try and plant one on a Saintee head.One last thing. When we do cross the ball , far to often it's a lobbed , floating effort. Why can't we ping some crosses into the box with oodles of pace.Chances are if we don't get to it , one of the opposition might knock it in themselves...

Here's my effort at a team....

Main

Irvine, Caff, Rusty, Craig.

Swanks( for decent crosses) Morris, Hardie, Sheerin.

Sammy and Homer....

OH!!! i hear you cry, you can't drop Savo...Well I just did:shock:

Subs..Baldy, Savo, Mooner, Millar, Ando..

Injured Big Kev and McLean.

No place for ...Peaso, McKoy, Jacko, Morgan...

COME ON SAINTS.....

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Main

Irvine Caff Rusty Craig

Swankie MMM Morris Sheerin

Savo Samuel

Millar has been outstanding this season but I think he has looked a bit jaded recently and maybe needs a rest. Likewise Holmes has been great but he's not paying off at the moment. Maybe this team can get back to playing the ball on the ground. If he gets some decent service, Samuels pace is awesome and hopefully Swankie and Sheerin can create more chances than we have lately.

Millar has been outstanding this season but I think he has looked a bit jaded recently and maybe needs a rest.

I dont think Millar needs a rest i just think he needs to be back in his natural position but until Könönen arrives on January 1st i dont think we'll see much of that. With that in mind and realising we need more forward drive from the midfield i hope we will line up:

Main

Irvine Caff Dinky Craig

Millar MMM Jody Swankie

Sammy Savo

Hillcoat, Ando, Mooner, Sheerin, Holmes

Final ball has been atrocious - Irvine in particular. Would agree that we need to get things sorted in the final third of the pitch.

But Gaz is a full back, we shouldn't be relying on him to provide crosses.

I actually think folk are jumping on a bandwagon here. At Broadwood we lost Holmes and that gubbed our game plan, against the Dee we were fine first half and we hardly played a "final ball" in the second as we were drowning under waves of Scum attacks.

On Saturday, we looked like Saintee_)*)(_)(_Brian had control over team selection. Because we played a plethora of variations of 4-3-3, the midfield didn't know where to play their pass. Liam and Jody also had stinkers, so most corners was poor; nowt Del can do, just bad luck.

101, we've only scored 3 goals in the last three games and we only have 3 points from the last three games. Its not bad luck, its a team that needs a spark. We're not playing badly, but we're just lacking an edge. Its not a bandwagon, its everyone noticing the same thing.... apart from you by the sounds of it.

And in reference to your reply to Bruno, it is gary irvine's job to supply the crosses in the system we play. We dont play with out and out wingers at the moment until January so we play with overlapping wingbacks, Irvine and Craig.

Think 4-4-2 should be the preferred option. Del's idea was great, in that playing 3 up front against Queens should have got us some goals but clearly the opposite was true. With that in mind, I'm going with:

Main

Irvine - Caff - Rusty - Liam

Swankie - Millar - Hardie - Sheerin

Savo - Sherlock

Subs: Hillcoat, Ando, Jody, Mooner, Sammy.

Job done.

Watched Morton beat Dunfermline a couple of weeks back,nothing got past Shimmin & Mcmanus in defence and Gallagher in the Pars goal kept it down to 1 nil.Got a feeling we will finaly pay for not having taken addvantage of previous weeks results else where and extended our lead by a lot more.0-1 to Morton.

I was there as well.

Dunfermline lumped high balls up, Morton played it on the ground and should've won by 3 or 4.

This is not going to be an easy game, and if they play like they did at EEP they are well capable of beating us.

I said a few weeks ago that our biggest threat this season could be ourselves. It does look that way, considering Clyde & QoS.

Come on Saints. It's ours to throw away!

Have to agree with Bruno , Irvine hardly got the ball past the first man all game on Saturday.

It will be a hard game on Saturday as going on the last 4/5 games Morton would be top of the league.

I wouldn`t change the team too much but I think Millar has to be in central midfield as he is ineffective out right. I think Hardie might be better out right as he played more on the left on Saturday which I don`t think suited him. Probably Sheerin should be left mid` which would make the midfield. Hardie Millar Morris Sheerin.Homer & Savo up front together playing off each other as 3 up front didn`t wotk. Hard luck on Mooner & Sammy but it is a long season & I think they will get their chance.

I cant believe how many people are leaving Jody out of their starting line up. I dont understand it. If anyone is going to set us apart from the rest of this league, its him.

Absolutely agree

Jody started showing glimpses of his class last Saturday and once he gets a bit more game time under his belt he will be an amazing asset.