#21 - 20/12/08 - Airdrie United (a)

Problem on Saturday was a lack of width in midfield but that maybe won't be as much of a problem at New Broomfield if Airdrie set out with a 4-4-2 in an attempt to win the game. I probably wouldn't stray too much from Saturday's midfield but would have Swankie on the bench at the expense of one of the strikers. Problem is that Savo, Samuel and Holmes are established but Peaso has done well in his last couple of outings.

Defence picks itself. Five clean sheets in the six games where they've played the full 90 minutes together.

It also depends on the pitch ISTR the playing surface was never that great and if we get any rain this week the game might turn into a midfield slog.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem on Saturday was a lack of width in midfield but that maybe won't be as much of a problem at New Broomfield if Airdrie set out with a 4-4-2 in an attempt to win the game.

Don't think the problem was as much a lack of width in midfield on Saturday, more that Morton played 5 across the middle to cut out our wide play.

I agree that Airdrie will play 4-4-2. They're unlikely to play defensive at home so there's always a chance if we can win the ball in midfield and keep possession

I'm thinking a 3-5-2 as well but as follows:

Main

Caff Dinky Ando

Morris

Swankie MMM Mooner Sheerin

Sammy Homer

with Millar, Savo, Peaso, Craig and Irvine on the bench.

I know the defence are solid at the moment but I feel it we need to dominate the midfield a bit more. We have some class in the middle of the park it's about time they got the chance to show off.

would love to see peaso given his chance at the weekend. strikers haven't quite been doing it in the last few games and can see mcdonald really taking his opportunity and grabbing a winner for us in what is going to be a slog. will put a lot of pressure on him but as it has been said he is experienced and i think he can handle it.

would like to see liam craig starting on the left, sammy on the right. have a bit of an experiment and go at them hard. Morris to play holding and let MMM make some forward runs. Irvine and Ando would be able to handle anything they can throw at us down the wings and really let sammy and craig fly at them. last few games have seen us look a little flat and think its time for a bit of change.

Line up to be

Main

Irvine Rusty Caff Ando

Sammy Morris MMM Craig

Peaso Savo

Don't think the problem was as much a lack of width in midfield on Saturday, more that Morton played 5 across the middle to cut out our wide play.

I agree that Airdrie will play 4-4-2. They're unlikely to play defensive at home so there's always a chance if we can win the ball in midfield and keep possession

It was a combination of both. The only times we looked dangerous in th efirst half was when Jody picked out a switch and stretched them. They were excellent as a unit as were Queens the week before. I though it was screaming out for Swankie. When Samuel went wide we then got some full backs turned and had them running facing their own goal which didn't happen in the 1st.

It was a combination of both. The only times we looked dangerous in th efirst half was when Jody picked out a switch and stretched them. They were excellent as a unit as were Queens the week before. I though it was screaming out for Swankie. When Samuel went wide we then got some full backs turned and had them running facing their own goal which didn't happen in the 1st.

The amount of opportunities to switch and stretch on Saturday was incredible. JoMo, Hards and Peanut were all guiltyof not looking up on Saturday. Sammy was often in 10-15 yards of space and no attempt was made to switch flanks and get him running.

The amount of opportunities to switch and stretch on Saturday was incredible. JoMo, Hards and Peanut were all guiltyof not looking up on Saturday. Sammy was often in 10-15 yards of space and no attempt was made to switch flanks and get him running.

That didn't just happen though. McInnes identified the problem and used what he could (putting Sammy wide) to solve it. It didn't win the match for us but it gave them something to think about.

Hardie is a doubt for this according to the radio this morning. Twisted his ankle (in I assume the challenge with Finlayson) on Saturday.

I take Steve's earlier point about our lack of width being down to Morton's midfield but I think if Swankie had been in there, we'd have more of an option to get in behind them. As it was, with Sheerin and Millar facing a flat back four and then a midfield five, that was never going to happen. Not going to criticise Del though as I'd touted the same midfield he started with.

Team I would go for would be:

Main

Irvine Rusty Caff Ando

Swankie Millar Morris Craig

Milne Sammy

So no place for hardie or sheerin in midfield but I feel with Swankie and Craig we will have width and millar will be far more creative in the middle of the park. Hardie has been off the boil recently and a rest may do him good. Savo and Sammy need another shot together as sammy looked dangerous in spurts on Saturday and Milne is a workhorse.

I'll take another ugly 1-0 us. Providing we score earlier this time.

Keep Savo and Sammy up top, they need to understand each other more if they want to play in the same starting XI.

Drop Hardie for Swankie, put Millar in middle next to Jody and Swankie out right. Keep Craig at LB and Sheerin Left mid.

What it'd lack in brute strength, it'd more than make up for in fight and energy. Moon and Morris could work really well together, given the chance, I believe.

I would play Moon in the middle beside Morris. Moon has the energy to get forward to support the front two while Morris is happy to sit in front of the defence. I think they would give us a good balance in the middle of the park.

Hardie looks sluggish at the moment and is lacking the drive that he has showed previously and Millar's form has dipped in recent weeks and both would benefit from being rested.

I would play Moon in the middle beside Morris. Moon has the energy to get forward to support the front two while Morris is happy to sit in front of the defence. I think they would give us a good balance in the middle of the park.

Hardie looks sluggish at the moment and is lacking the drive that he has showed previously and Millar's form has dipped in recent weeks and both would benefit from being rested.

Totally agree. But I do think the gaffer obviously hasn't been impressed enough with Swanks to play him and would rather play Miller there. Remember we don't see things like training and attitude off the field so we have to trust Del's judgment. Moon is an excellent player, and in the past I have raved about him and how I think he should play week in week out over Hardie, and how much I think Martin should be gone. Hardie's been a good player for us, but because of his injuries he's finished. People will say how can Hardie be finished at 32 and Sheerin is still going at 34? well Sheerin is much much more fitter than Hardie, and I feel Hardie has lost a lot of his game this season. I'd like to see a midfield of Miller, Sheerin, Moon and Morris. I think the Moon and Morris partnership is an exciting one which would definitely carry on in the SPL should we get promoted come May.