#21 - 20/12/08 - Airdrie United (a)

I wasnt at the game today but every time i have watched saints away to airdrie we play awful, its a point and at present thats good enough, got to start scoring more than one just to ensure the 3 points. Lets get behind the team next week at home and get the needed 3 points before the trip north on the 3rd

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sickener to lose a goal so late but another point against a team battling for everything they can get, another game undefeated, still top and 5 points clear going into Christmas. It's a cliche but there really are no easy games in this league and very little between the teams. We don't have some God-given right to claim three points just for turning up against a team in a lower position. Let's have some Christmas cheer for f**ks sake guys! Top of the league for Christmas - who'd have thought that in August/September?!

Sickener to lose a goal so late but another point against a team battling for everything they can get, another game undefeated, still top and 5 points clear going into Christmas. It's a cliche but there really are no easy games in this league and very little between the teams. We don't have some God-given right to claim three points just for turning up against a team in a lower position. Let's have some Christmas cheer for f**ks sake guys! Top of the league for Christmas - who'd have thought that in August/September?!

Good man ! Let's keep behind the team and keep these winging w@nkers in place. Wasnt like this when we were in the third division. All the boo boys never turned up for two or three years. Mon the Saints.

Good man ! Let's keep behind the team and keep these winging w@nkers in place. Wasnt like this when we were in the third division. All the boo boys never turned up for two or three years. Mon the Saints.

Good - hope they stay in their boxes. Especially when we're top of the league! Cheers SingaporeSaint, Merry Christmas and here's to continued Saints success in the new year!

I thought we played ok in the first half, but Airdrie really upped the pace in the 2nd half, playing some good stuff and generally bullying us off our game. Felt we moved the ball too slowly to be effective today, and there was a severe lack of forward momentum with players far too unwilling to drive from midfield and too often checking back - I thought their defence looked a wee bit shaky and we could have taken advantage of that by running at them. Both stikers had stinkers. MoM for me was probably a toss up between Ruti and Caff again. Still, no ground lost, that's the main thing.

Just back from game. Feels again like we dropped points rather than won them, but still top with points in hand and its a week closer to the end of the season. So rationally you have to be happy.

Thought Morris had another very confident game, maybe lies just ten yards too deep but great possession player, but midfield not firing and lame upfront. Craig had a good game and thought his penalty had sealed it until we conceded possesion (Holmes) and then looked indecisive at the back for their equaliser. My major concern is that we do not yet have a settled side and will now lose McCaffrey due to suspension. So the one 'settled' area is up for debate again.

Samuel and Miller had busy moments but neither seems capable of penetrating into the box and worrying defences. Samuel faded, Swankie came on, but over the piece neither is the answer. So sorry to report that the 'forum darlings' had a very mixed day, Craig and Miller were decent, Irvine's crosses - 1 out of 10, Samuel innefective and Swankie all but invisible. It would seem that young blood and trendy hair cuts do not a footballer make.

The old bald guy looked as composed as ever for his 10 minutes and I am at a loss to explain why Sheerin doesn't start, Craig had been moved back to left-full back to accomodate Sheerin's class, then the wizard is benched, and Craig's cutting-edge is blunted. Back to the drawing board.

But all in all an other point and a step closer.

Same as..5 points clear and little damage done. Thought a draw was the very best we deserved although it did feel a bit like a defeat when they equalised so near the end.We need to get back to 4-4-2 and stop trying just to accomodate certain players. As has been the case recently our final ball was piss poor and we really never looked like scoring until the ref awarded the penalty.There are some players who need a rest and I hope Del has the bottle to do it...Still a points a point...Bring on Clyde....

Thought that was our best performance for a while,a lot of decent play,albeit we didn't penetrate enough.I read it as 4-4-2,with Sammy wide left,where he had a good first half.Soft goal to loose so late on,ala Morton,Queens,Clyde even Scumdee,that's 10 points dropped late on,we've not picked up that amount late on,hope they don't come back to haunt us.

Samuel and Miller had busy moments but neither seems capable of penetrating into the box and worrying defences. Samuel faded, Swankie came on, but over the piece neither is the answer. So sorry to report that the 'forum darlings' had a very mixed day, Craig and Miller were decent, Irvine's crosses - 1 out of 10, Samuel innefective and Swankie all but invisible. It would seem that young blood and trendy hair cuts do not a footballer make.

The old bald guy looked as composed as ever for his 10 minutes and I am at a loss to explain why Sheerin doesn't start, Craig had been moved back to left-full back to accomodate Sheerin's class, then the wizard is benched, and Craig's cutting-edge is blunted. Back to the drawing board.

But all in all an other point and a step closer.

Millar averages 6/7 goals per year yet he looks scared to shoot at present. The lack of forward propulsion from Saints hint at OTT instructions to avoid conceding. Swankie is a confidence player and his confidence has gone.

Irvine came to the rescue (defensively) on a number of occasions.

When Peanut came on, we sat even deeper. Jody needs to shift up the park and that would force Peanut, et al, to do likewise.

Surprised to see Jacko on the bench ahead of Peaso.

Could have so easily have been worse but I'm happy the lead is unchanged. Report is on the Temple now but I think we have some problems brewing in the side:

Holmes - not contributing enough. He does win balls in the air but doesn't find his teammates enough (whether through his own sense of reading the game or their lack of support). Not scoring enough for a player playing up front - he should be hitting the target at least with some of his headers.

Sammy - needs to start taking men on. He was too easily crowded out today.

Morris / Hardie - Sorry but I can't see this pairing working in the centre of midfield. Both have a tendency to drop deep and play in similar positions - hence either the lack of support from the middle for the front men today or the lack of options because all our midfield had dropped back (Millar is just as guilty).

Defensively we're solid but the goals are drying up. Sammy on the left was wasted today - I'd have started Millar in the middle and played Sammy on the right with Sheerin on the left - it gives us some options and a combination of players that can pass the ball forwards accurately and some pace.

McInnes has to take some of the blame as well. I can't understand why he left Holmes on and took Savo off. Sherlock seemed to be struggling for pace and wasn't winning enough balls to keep him on the park. Also we need to get the players back showing more confidence on theball - take their opponents on and try and run the ball to the byeline. Keep at least two forward when we're defending corners - I mean 11 in the bloody box to defend against Airdrie ?!?!?!!?

Anyway rant over - I'm more relieved than anything else tonight that we've not blown our lead. Although given Clyde's form and the Caff ban I'm getting more nervous about next weekend.

Samuel and Miller had busy moments but neither seems capable of penetrating into the box and worrying defences. Samuel faded, Swankie came on, but over the piece neither is the answer. So sorry to report that the 'forum darlings' had a very mixed day, Craig and Miller were decent, Irvine's crosses - 1 out of 10, Samuel innefective and Swankie all but invisible.

You have just cast yourself as public enemy number 1 now - how dare you say that Samuel is not the answer blah blah blah. Wait for the Samuel loveteam to come on and defend him :)

McInnes has to take some of the blame as well. I can't understand why he left Holmes on and took Savo off. Sherlock seemed to be struggling for pace and wasn't winning enough balls to keep him on the park. Also we need to get the players back showing more confidence on theball - take their opponents on and try and run the ball to the byeline. Keep at least two forward when we're defending corners - I mean 11 in the bloody box to defend against Airdrie ?!?!?!!?

Jacko was stripped before Swanks, Del then waited and whilst Jacko was desperately trying to keep body temperature, Homer decided to try an Iwelumo.

As for the corners, Del thinks he is right; fool that he is.

I blame NOOSE because he upset Rusty when he was limbering up by asking Rusty for a photograph.....shame on you Noose !!!!!!!

That aside we seem keen on giving this title away-particularly in the last few weeks and its only by results elsewhere that we are able to hold on so-far....But Del has a hell of a lot of decisions to make in the next few weeks.

certain players just are not performing to maximum potential and is has become evident that we need a Short-Sharp-Shock............Giving away at xmas is nice - but lets not overdo it Del.........Nuts have to be stuck in the vice and crushed - guys have to stand up and look at themselves.

If you think we have problems then spare a thought for Dunfermline. Conceding 4 goals at home is not great for a team harbouring the same ambition as ourselves. I would rather have 5 points more in the bag, and be 13 games undefeated. Wonder if they are saying less than complimentary things on their forum tonight. Big get out of jail card eventually!

Stay positive. We are in pole postion after all and remember the start to the season we had!

You have just cast yourself as public enemy number 1 now - how dare you say that Samuel is not the answer blah blah blah. Wait for the Samuel loveteam to come on and defend him :)

Make that two of us,I thought Samual & Millar were poor beyond belief today running about like headless chickens with the ball then the final product the bit that actually matters the cross/shott ends up in the stand or no harder than a pass back for the keeper to deal with.Poor wee things are lacking in confidence,my backside,if you cant go to Airdrie with the confidence your going to hump them then god help you.

Holmes was ineffective today, as was Hardie who looks miles off the pace just now. I'd like to see a midfield of (l-r) Sheerin, Morris, Moon, Millar, next week if we are content to play Millar on the right. If not then Millar and Morris in the middle with Swankie out right. We definitely need four men in the middle though.

If you think we have problems then spare a thought for Dunfermline. Conceding 4 goals at home is not great for a team harbouring the same ambition as ourselves. I would rather have 5 points more in the bag, and be 13 games undefeated. Wonder if they are saying less than complimentary things on their forum tonight. Big get out of jail card eventually!

Not so sure Dunc - ask me again once we've played Clyde next Sat :D

If we are going to punt long balls to the front (did it from the get go today) would someone let our resident carthorse (Holmes)know his place in the grand scheme of things it would be good if he could master the art of the subtle glancing header.Can anyone recall a Saints player benifiting from one of his touches.He's got a head like a ten bob bit.

I wonder if the pre match comments from Saints managers and players are not helpful. All this guff about them being surprised about Airdrie being bottom of the table gives them too much respect, and I think that translated into our performance today. We are top, they are bottom, end of. We should maybe try talking ourselves up instead of our opponents to give the players a mental edge. Perhaps the performances might have a bit of swagger and confidence then?

Jacko was stripped before Swanks, Del then waited and whilst Jacko was desperately trying to keep body temperature, Homer decided to try an Iwelumo.

As for the corners, Del thinks he is right; fool that he is.

God I thought that was 2 posts without slagging Del :-)

Del isn't the only manager in the country that plays corners in that way and it is nothing new. The idea is that if you get the ball you have more options to attack from deep with runners going in various areas, we did it twice today in the second half and if memory serves me right Holmes miss was from one of these moves. Leaving one up the park does not result in the opposition taking an extra man out as even with no one up fiels Airdrie still had 2 back.

I think Del is a bit defensive minded but hay we are top of the league so we can`t argue. Every player in the box at corners is his response to our poor start to the season & he is not going to change it now. Wish he was the same with the formation.

We were going along quite merrily with 424 but he thinks he has to have Morris & Samual in the team & changes everything. Millar is wasted out wide. Morris is a good enough player & has not had a bad game since he came in but the balance of midfield is all wrong now.

We have to go back to 424 with Millar in the centre of midfield. If that means dropping Hardie or Morris then so be it.

If this was a run at the start of the season & another couple of teams were getting the results we would be calling for something to happen just like we did at the beginning of the season.

maybe Del should call them in for extra sessions or do we need an international break.