#23 - 13/01/09 - Rangers (h) - Scottish Cup

Macarius

Well its appears the Ross County game tomorrow is going to get called off due to the chilblain Highland winter.

With Ross County out the way, that places our next game against the *cough* mighty Glasgow Rangers.

Who would you have in your team for the Rangers game?

Obviously, Main in goals, no surprise there.

Centre defence, I'd go with Rusty and Caff. Don't get me wrong, I'm desperate too see Garters play but it doesn't feel right for him to walk into the team for this game considering how well Rusti and Caff were doing. Irvine at right back and I'm a bit stuck on left back. I've seen Hanlon play once and he looked composed and able but I don't know whether we should start him or Garters at left back. I'd be tempted to start Garters just because hes a bit older and a bit more experienced even if its not his ideal role.

Midfield is a bit of a jigsaw puzzle. I'd keep Sheerin on the bench with a view to him getting a run on about 60-70 minutes depending on how the games going. He changed the semi final last april setting up Mcbreen so I reckon he's still got the magic against the big teams.

I'd say we need Morris in centre mid. Not sure who should partner him. I'd keep Millar on the bench, Swankie on the bench and maybe play Samuell on right wing and Craig on left.

Upfront, I feel it needs to be Savo and Jacko possibly with an appaerance for Reynolds at some point.

So, your views?

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Difficult choice ...do we field a strong team or do we let the "glasgow cup" to go back to glasgow with a weakened squad and concentrate on the Thistle game at Firhill as the league title is our prime aim.

All for beating the OF in these games -but id rather we had no injuries for the league - than one shot at winning a cup game.

I just dont know......how important is it to the club.

Suppose we better start thinking about this game now. Nothing to lose , money to be made and **** to kick.

I hope we can make a game of it and based on the last two matches against them, they'll be more concerned about us than we are about them.

I'm looking forward to a good sing song but strangely I'm not overly excited about the game. Team wise... Hows about...

Main

Irvine, Rusty, Caff, Hanlon

Swanks, Millar, Moon, Morris, Craig

Savo

Subs. McLean,Hardie,Gartland, Sheerin, McDonald.

Rested...Holmes, Jacko, Ando, James, Samuel.

Main

Irvine Rusty Caff Hanlon

Millar Morris Craig Swankie

Holmes Samuel

Subs: Mclean Gartland Hardie Peaso Savo/Sheerin

If we wanted a more physical approach it would be interesting to see something like this..

Main

Caff Rusty Gartland

Irvine Craig

Morris Hardie Millar

Holmes Peaso

...but i dont think we should let "them" intimidate us because we normally get on perfectly well against "bigger" teams when we play our own game. Dont see this happening but just an opinion, cant see many changes from the clyde game.

Suppose we better start thinking about this game now. Nothing to lose , money to be made and **** to kick.

I hope we can make a game of it and based on the last two matches against them, they'll be more concerned about us than we are about them.

I'm looking forward to a good sing song but strangely I'm not overly excited about the game. Team wise... Hows about...

Main

Savo

that team could be spot on ghost

Main

Irvine Rusty Caff Hanlon

Millar Morris Craig Swankie

Holmes Samuel

Subs: Mclean Gartland Hardie Peaso Savo/Sheerin

If we wanted a more physical approach it would be interesting to see something like this..

Main

Caff Rusty Gartland

Irvine Craig

Morris Hardie Millar

Holmes Peaso

...but i dont think we should let "them" intimidate us because we normally get on perfectly well against "bigger" teams when we play our own game. Dont see this happening but just an opinion, cant see many changes from the clyde game.

I'd go for;

Main

Irvine Hanlon Rusty Caff

Swankie Morris/Craig/Moon Sheerin

Holmes Savo

Gartland, Morris/Craig/Moon, Millar, Peaso, McLean.

Reason for this is Gartland shouldn't walk straight in, and disrupt a good partnership. However, if he comes on and plays better than either Rusty or Caff, he should be given a start in the next game. The reason I've picked Swanks is that he is our only naturally right midfielder. The obvious choice in the middle would be Craig and Morris HOWEVER I think this is exactly the kind of game Mooner would be most effective in. A Moon/Morris partnership could work, both like to get stuck in and both are great footballing players. Maybe even Swankie, Morris, Moon, Craig... although Sheerin deserves to start the game. And I still feel Holmes and Savo is our best partnership... and we may be looking to score from set-pieces in which case Holmes would be important.

Main

Savo

I could see that happening tbh.

Main

Savo

I think going 5 accross the midfield would be a mistake, playing 1 up against a 3 at the back is okay but if they are playing a 4 at the back, which they normally do, then you are giving their wide men freedom to come up and support the midfield.

This is one of these games where Holmes could cause their defence a fair bit of problems, not the best team in the air play 2 up.

I am really excited about this game, would love to see us have a good cup run again, the team i would like to see...

Main (Legend!)

Irvine Ruti Caff Hanlon

Swank Morris Miller Craig

Savo Holmes

Subs: McLean, Hardie, Mooner, Jacko, Sheerin.

If we are at our best we can beat Rangers, yes the **** will need to have a bad game but as we have proved we can beat rangers and take them to the wire.

MON THE SAINTS !!!!!

why should change our formation for the likes of them, we were hardly over run at hampden and the current rangers team is hardly a prospect to worry about

i think we should go out to play and beat them, so long as we play to a good standard and keep it tight and sensible we have a decent chance of doing something

with the league fast becoming a fading dream there will be even more pressure on the rangers, they have much more to lose than us and if we can get in about them and not let them play i think we will see the pressure take effect on rangers the longer the match goes on if they cant grab the lead

same team that played clyde off the park for me and lets hope we have that little bit more on the night to win the game and make it 3 unbeaten against them in a row

Of course Gartland will start, anyone who thinks otherwise is having a laugh.The time for signing squad players is past,any signings at this stage of the season are to strengthen the team.

Anyway Caff already lost his place to Ando.

Main

Irvine Ruti Gartland Hanlon

Millar Morris Hardie Craig

Milne Holmes

aye, suspension is a bugger that way.

Can't see Gartland getting his first start in this game. I'd be happy with Caff and Rusty.

I'd love to see...

Main

Irvine Rusti Garters Hanlon

Samuel Moon Sheerin Craig

Savo Holmes

Just to show an attacking team with strength and pace, because I don't feel Rangers would be able to cope with Craig and Samuels pace and skill on the ball aswell as having the presence of Savo and Holmes upfront. I would have Garters at Center half due to experience and he looks more of a physical player than caff. My reason for moon and sheerin in the middle is because they are both comfortable on the ball and I believe they would relish the chance.

But I find it extremely unlikely for this team to be chosen and Ghostie's looks more of the Gaffers cup of tea.

I hope we win, I really do - revenge for them beating us last year. That said, a defeat won't be the end of the world; more a blessing in disguise in that it'll make sure we concentrate on the league.

Will be good to have Caff back, and I'd start him in front of Gartland. Hanlon at left back, and Liam wide left instead of up the middle:

Main

Irvine Ruti Caff Hanlon

Swankie Morris Millar Craig

Savo Jacko

Subs: McLean, Hardie, Mooner, Holmes, Sheerin.

Hopefully we'll get clearance to play Hanlon against Rangers. If not, I reckon Del will go with Gartland at lb.

Main

Irvine Ruti Caff Hanlon/Gartland

Samuel Morris Hardie Craig

Savo Holmes

Subs: McLean, Ando, Gartland, Sheerin, Jackson/Peaso

I doubt Del will make too many changes from the Clyde game. It's all going to depend on who plays left back and the fitness of Sammy and Hardie

I'd love to see...

Main

Irvine Rusti Garters Hanlon

Samuel Moon Sheerin Craig

Savo Holmes

Just to show an attacking team with strength and pace.

A team with strength? Then you leave out both Hardie and Morris for a defensively inept Paul Sheerin? You must be on the wind up. Plus you want to break up a STRONG partnership at the back to give a debut to a guy you have never seen playing against a much bigger team than ourselves???