#24 - 17/01/09 - Partick Thistle (a)

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caff's confidence could be thrashed by that totally blameless own goal, on his part, so it might be harsh to start Garters ahead of him. I suspect he may drop Rusty, but I doubt it as McInnes states that he, as has been said before, is our best defender. And as Liverpool are coming to scout the boy Hanlon out, I actually think McInnes would be wise not to start him in case Liverpool are too impressed and snatch him before his deal expires and we're left short again. As such;

Main

Irvine - Caff - Rusty - Garters

Swankie - Morris - Craig - Sheerin

Jackson (great to see he's coming back to form!) - Savo

Bench; Holmes, Hanlon, Homer, Millar, McLean

Alternatively, if we are going more attack-minded, I would be very tempted to start this;

Main

Irvine - Caff - Rusty - Garters

Millar - Morris - Craig (as CMs)

Samuel - Savo - Jacko

Bench; Hanlon, Swankie, Sheerin, Peaso, McLean

This game can't come quick enough now. With the forum being dominated by the game we played on Tuesday night and all the other shite issuse that always seem to go along with playing the brothers of bigotory. I for one am desperate to move on and cleanse myself of the evil stench that comes as standard with the OF.

I am looking forward to Partick and would like to congratulate Thistle on 100 years at Firhill. Maybe Jags will buy us all a drinkypoo:D( Maybe he won't:sad:)

As usual we must make sure we concentrate for the full 90 minutes and take our A-game to Firhill or we will get turned over..The push for the title starts here and we have the benefit of a 5 point start.This is where it gets serious.

Team wise???? A toughie!!!!!!!!!!!

But here goes.....

Main

Irvine, Rusty, Caff, Hanlon.

Swankie, Morris, Sheerin, Craig

Jacko, Holmes

Subs. McLean, Gartland, Savo, Millar, Sammy....

It's getting harder and harder to pick a side and I'm only doing it for my own fun. I don't envy Del....

Injured????...Hardie, Peaso,

No place for. Mooner, Ando, Big Kev,

Lets get right behind the boys and make plenty noise. See you all at Firhill and lets hope the thrills are all blue and white...

COME ON YOU SAINTS!!!

Can the boys who have Gartland on the bench please explain their thinking. Ando can play anywhere in defence. As far as I know Del/Tony have never seen Gartland at left back and that substitution on Tuesday confirmed Del's insistance that he doesn't want to play Garters in a full back role. Given that defenders are not likely to tactically subbed (Tuesday's madness aside) surely its better to increase our options.

I expect:

Main

Irvine-Rusty-Garters-Hanlon

Millar-Morris-Craig-Sammy

Savo-Homer

I hope:

Main

Irvine-Ando-Garters-Hanlon

Millar-Morris-Mooner-Craig

Savo-Jacko

Can the boys who have Gartland on the bench please explain their thinking. Ando can play anywhere in defence. As far as I know Del/Tony have never seen Gartland at left back and that substitution on Tuesday confirmed Del's insistance that he doesn't want to play Garters in a full back role. Given that defenders are not likely to tactically subbed (Tuesday's madness aside) surely its better to increase our options.

I expect:

Main

Irvine-Rusty-Garters-Hanlon

Millar-Morris-Craig-Sammy

Savo-Homer

I hope:

Main

Savo-Jacko

You'd drop both CBs????? Stop drinking this minute and go to your bed. Your having a mare:wink:

I hope:

Main

Savo-Jacko

Our defenders have conceded 2 goals in our last 5 league matches. Sounds like a good time to drop our two central defenders. As for wanting Millar at right mid - can you explain your thinking?

I still think in the near future, Gartland will be slotted in at centre back but felt McInnes might have thrown him in on Tuesday if he was going to come straight into the side. Maybe unfair to drop Caff for a showpiece game though. There's a reserve game on Monday, so I suspect Gartland might get 90 minutes in that to build up his match fitness. As such, the defence has to be the same as on Tuesday. I think 101 gets far too much stick on here for just voicing his opinions but I can't get my head around bringing Ando in at centre back at the moment.

Holmes had a great game against Thistle in October and I think is still contributing despite the lack of goals. Airdrie was the only really poor performance from him. I think all three fit strikers (is Peaso still out?) have a shout at partnering him. Peaso is the one striker who doesn't play that well with a target man so it's always going to be either Peaso or Holmes for me.

Morris and Craig are certainties to start in midfield. As with the strikers, you could probably make a case for any of the other midfielders. What I'd say is that, although he hasn't be used much away from home, Thistle's right back is extremely right footed and having Swankie on the left cutting in could cause him bother. If Swankie does start on the left, it'll be Millar on the right you'd guess.

What I'd pick:

Main in goals obviously.

Hanlon at left back. Rusti and Caff in the middle. We'll get a good look at Garters in the next 2 reserve matches we have this month then we can decide where to go from there. Irvine at right back.

Drop Millar. Form has been poor as of late. Stick Swankie on one wing and either Sheerin or Sammy on the other and get Jacko and Holmes up front. Ya dancer. Morris and Craig have to start in centre mid because frankly, they are our 2 best players.

Main

Hanlon - Rusti - Caff - Irvine

Sheerin - Craig - Morris - Swankie

Jacko - Homer

Bench: Garters, Sammy, Ando, Maclean, Millar

I'm not sure to be honest. We are currently over-saturated in the midfield area. We've got a great set of strikers but now that Peaso and Savo are injured, we are starting too see the thinness of the squad. All it takes is Homer to take a knock, which is quite likley given the physical nature of his play, and we are down to 1 recognised striker just coming back from a long break and 1 wannabe striker.

The saving grace is we are well covered in midfield and defence but honestly I wouldn't turn down a bid for Peaso, Sammy or Millar just now.

What I'd pick:

All it takes is Homer to take a knock, which is quite likley given the physical nature of his play, and we are down to 1 recognised striker just coming back from a long break and 1 wannabe striker.

The saving grace is we are well covered in midfield and defence but honestly I wouldn't turn down a bid for Peaso, Sammy or Millar just now.

Eh? How can we have a thin squad lacking in strikers but you're willing to accept bids. The squad's fine as it is.

I think you should stay away from those Blair"magic mushrooms".........Sell millar !!

He is off form just now like many others - but he will bounce back

Peaso has been injured and as the team are winning (well or luckily) why change the squad.

Biggest disappointment for me -so far-has been the form of Samuel - he has potential but doesnt show it.