#27 - 14/02/09 - Livingston (h)

sjfc.spl.09-10

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've often though that. When you think about the abuse the following players get/got:

McInnes (Rangers, Dundee Utd)

Peaso (Rangers)

McGregor (Rangers)

Scotland (Dundee Utd)

Samuel (Dundee Utd)

Swankie (Dundee)

However, everytime I think that I cast my mind to Savo and he is a bloody hero amongst Saints fans despite being 'just ok'.

The thing about savo is he gives 100% EVERY time he pulls on the saints top, now you cant say that about swankie , can you?

Another win at home, 8/11 in the league so far, that will be doing nicely. Wasn't the prettiest of games but a win is a win:D.

Was a bit disappointed at just how quickly people got on Swankie's back yesterday, he didn't exactly have his best game but sometimes I wonder are you there too support the team or just whinge and moan all the game?, like some people near the middle of the east stand yesterday...from start to finish. Now we didn't play brilliantly and yes you have to right to have a grump every now and again but there were a few moaning right from the off yesterday.

Pitch was terrible yesterday, I know it's not the best time of year for the pitch but the rugby played must have had a bad effect on it.

Anyway, we are seven points clear and I am happy with that.

Fair enough mate, I genuinely thought you loved the guy. Still think McLaren was worse though, both in terms of ability and attitude.

they both have so much potential. these players really frustrate me. at least willie is starting to get a bit of form on the go at clyde. i don't think we'll ever see much from swankie yet still think he will be able to blag getting deals at a decent level in football.

no matter where liam plays he gives his all every game and has probably been our best player this season along with rusty !

Think Liam came on to a game when Samual came on as he was able to link with him whereas Swankie was always out of position. If they all gave as much as Liam we would be cruising the league by now.

I got really annoyed with Swankie earlier in the season away to Clyde , right in front of the saints fans he backed off several balls that he should have won. However I did not verbally abuse him as that will never make things any better.

What we don't know is why he back off , and what instructions he has had from Del. We have no idea if he is carrying an injury or any other reason why he won't mix it. Would love to hear from our Dundee forumers if it was similar at Dens .

The guy is a match winner on his day , something is holding him back in some games ,that is probably why he is spending more time on the bench.

When he came on last week in Dingwall he made a difference . The players need encouraging not booing no matter how rank a game they have . Saints fans have a massive part to play in winning the league ,

For some reason he seems to lay the ball off and cut inside rather than making for the byeline , surely this can't be right , surely he has not been told to lay off and cut inside, that is the bit I can't work out ,it happened time and time again on Saturday.

He can put a great ball into the box , I would like to see it done more often from the byeline.

We need to all get behind our players all of tyhe time even when they are having a bad day. That will win us the league .

All of this 50/50 / lazy player / doesnt win headers nonsense means nothing. The bottom line is that Swankie, Samuel, Scotland ect are/were a greater asset to our team than to be without them!

Swankie can turn a match with one pass, Sammy can win a match with one turn of pace or immaculate finish.

If we had a team full of hardworking, super fit, hard tackling, marathon runners in our team i can assure you we would not be top of the league.

Criticising Swankie and Samuel achieves NOTHING! Not a single thing!! They want to win matches and league titles for this club so why the hell are you giving them a hard time. Ridiculous!

Why don't they on a regular basis?

Because they dont get enough of a bloody chance!! If Del picks them to start they are given such pelters and expectations of them are so high that even if they do change a match e.g. Sammy on Saturday, if they make one slip up next week, they will be back on everyone's hit list.

Swankie or Sammy have not started two or three games in a row yet this season, such is the nature of Dels selection(he makes decisions based on best line ups for who we are playing of if we are home or away ect.)

Im not saying there is space for both to start week in week out but how the hell can you judge a player when they are only given a start here and a start there.

It may be a bit of a far fetched statement but..... Sammys goal (touch of class/inspiration) may well have gone a long way to kicking us back into gear with a win and even kicked us on to win the league!!!!!

In recent weeks I think there has been alot more effort/dig shown by Sammy when he has been on the pitch. I would like to see the same from Swankie!
I dont think Sammy showed anymore on saturday than he has all season. Ok, so he scored a goal, but its only this that has got people notice. He has always looked menancing for me when hes been on the pitch and a lot of the critiscm he takes is undeserving. Hope he starts on Saturday, and think he will.

In recent weeks I think there has been alot more effort/dig shown by Sammy when he has been on the pitch. I would like to see the same from Swankie!

Me too. Hence why shouting "come on Swankie, get stuck in" is far more constructive than "p*ss off you useless cnut" (as some, not saying you for one minute) were saying.

A bit late but better late than never....

We were pish first half and deserved to be at least one goal down. We were posted missing in the middle of the park on numerous occasions. Not sure what all that was about but seemed to be sorted when Millar got moved out wide and Sheerin was moved into the middle.

Second half was more the type of performance we have been putting in recently. Not very pretty but forceful and enough to get on top of our opponents and get the result.

I was well impressed with the goal. Good ball by Millar, awesome pace from Sammy and good control and finish.

Bad points would be our first half performance as a whole, Millar who looked lost in the middle which was surprising. Mooner must be wondering what he needs to do. Swankie shirked everything even when he had the ball. Reminded me of his performance against Clyde at Broadwood a wee while back. He doesn't look happy playing on the right. Any shouts from the crowd that I heard were along the lines of "Come on Swankie, get stuck in" and I didn't hear anything personal or that so not sure what the fuss is about. He was rotten on Saturday and i'm sure he knows it. He's a grown man so I'm sure he can take a bit of stick. If not then he's in the wrong game. Other surprising one was Savo's hellish performance when he came on. He just wasn't controlling anything and reminded me of Martin Buglione!

Good points were the second half. Jody really started to run the show and cut out loads of Livvy passes preventing them getting going. Sammy for his energy and unbelievable pace. The back four all did well with Irvine and Craig coming forward much more second half.

Only thing I'd change next week would be to put Ando at left back cos he rarely lets us down despite it not being his natural position. This would free up Liam to go into midfield and I'd drop Millar. I guess Savo will go up-front with Holmer so hopefully finds his control of the ball again! I'd have Sammy in instead of Swankie on the right just because of Swankie's nightmare performance and Sammy is looking good at the moment and could roast any full back for pace alone.

I dont think Sammy showed anymore on saturday than he has all season. Ok, so he scored a goal, but its only this that has got people notice. He has always looked menancing for me when hes been on the pitch and a lot of the critiscm he takes is undeserving. Hope he starts on Saturday, and think he will.

100% spot on. everyone loves him because he scored the goal on saturday. how many bad words have been said against him in other threads on here?

Ghostie that sounds like your saying "Oh the indignation .... It's none of the fans fault" :laugh:

I think Swankie personally is a wide forward in a 4-3-3 and of course that means when we lose the ball he is a blocker of space not so much a defending/midfield tackler. Yes he lost out a few challenges but that's not the main bit of his game. He is a receiver and creative offensive player but looked as if he lost confidence as the stressed out fans passed their stress onto the field, after all we've not lost in 18 games ...... oh terrible! He really has to show strength and be a bit arrogant and just ignore the fans, many who have paid to get in and be greetin faced bawheeds (totally legal). By the way I never noticed John Connolly or Alan Moore or Henry Hall or Miguel Simao or Jimmy Johnstone or Eddie Gray or Davie Cooper or Pat Nevin etc. making lots of tackles. Why? because that wasn't their primary role and if it came to a collision with another player (defender/midfielder they normally lost out. You have to ask yourself is there any place left for that type of player today. Ronaldo doesn't tackle much either I suppose. Anyway after a few thoughts here are two teams you might prefer for next week -

Team 1

Main, McCaffrey, Anderson, Rutkiewicz, Irvine ,Samuel, Craig, Hardie, Millar, Peaso, Milne

Team 2

Main, Irvine, Anderson, McCaffrey, Craig, Millar, Hardie, Sheerin, Jackson, Holmes, Milne

A lot better teams!

St.Johnstone have had three defeats this season, fantastic by all accounts. However these two teams above were the teams in two of these defeats. Team 1 was thrashed by Partick Thistle 4-0 (our biggest defeat of the season) and Team 2 was embarrassingly beaten at home by Clyde. The 3rd defeat was 3-0 by Dunfermline at home and Swankie was on until it was 1-0 down, so it got worse after he went off. In other words Swankie has only been involved in one league defeat this season and even then he was taken off at half-time when 1-0 down. He came back on the 13th Sept. and in his next six games involvement he was in six wins, the start of our long run. He has been part of that long unbeaten run as a starter or on the bench.

Most sensible post on here in ages

100% spot on. everyone loves him because he scored the goal on saturday. how many bad words have been said against him in other threads on here?

I certainly don't love him because he scored the goal! I think Sammy has all the attributes to be a very good player for us, (just as I do Swankie) and as of late has shown more commitment and dig (unlike Swankie). For that reason Sammy would be in my starting XI on Saturday and Swankie wouldn't.

I certainly don't love him because he scored the goal! I think Sammy has all the attributes to be a very good player for us, (just as I do Swankie) and as of late has shown more commitment and dig (unlike Swankie). For that reason Sammy would be in my starting XI on Saturday and Swankie wouldn't.
Knowing swankie though he'll come off the bench and score the winner. I think Del needs to understand what makes him tick. Still think he will be a good player for us.