#28 - 21/02/09 - Queen of the South (a)

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct me anyone if you think i am wrong but my opinion is that we were doing okay in the first 15 mins with at least three good chances and no real response from queens, though we did look suspect on the right flank, then craig (who is without a doubt the best link between defence and attack wading in with the odd good shot) is moved from left centre mid and put on the right in place of millar and ..........................threat nulified and queens come right into the game. every time craig got the ball he either couldn't pass or shoot cause he struggled time and again to get the ball onto his left foot.

centre midfield millar and morris the two smallest of small guys on the pitch, big hearts but not exactly what i would call a physical presence in the engine room, any wonder we went two down.

Don't get me wrong, with the attitude of the players today (and all credit to every one of the guys today) even at two down i still felt we could win 3-2 but we should have and could have won if they hadn't moved craig out wide right!!!!

"We are unbeatable,........ we are unbeatable,........ we are unbeatable, we are unbeatable"

Wow!!!!!!!!! what a ding dong match.It had nearly everything and the character shown by Saints was superb.I have moaned a lot about lack of entertainment recently .....Well I'm not moaning tonight.

I was a bit miffed about the defensive changes pre-match and certainly at times in the first half and at the start of the second we looked a bit ropey but my take on it was that it was the midfield where we were poor and I think the second and third goals were preventable if the midfielders had tracked back and got some blocking tackles in. I thought Byrne looked fine as did Gartland. Rusty was strong and incisive and Irvine had a good game as well. It does seem strange praising the defence when we have lost 3 goals but thats how I saw it. I thought at 1-0 down that we were still the better team by a long way but when the second went in I started to think it was not going to be our day.Great fight back and scenes of wild celebration when the first equalizer went in. Over the top stewarding though, nearly lead to a riot as Saints fans were thrown out and then the police became involved. There was absolutely NO NEED for it and if these diddies don't wake up NOBODYS gonna go to away games..As this was happening Queens went back into the lead with a great strike although the guy should never have got the room in the first place and should have been closed down. From this point on it was like the Alamo with saints pushing for a quick equalizer. It took a wee while but deservedly came . Cue more jubilation from the Saints fans but this time the stewards just stood back and let us get on wth it.

At two down , the Queens fans started to sing "Top of the league, yer having a laugh"

Well my Dumfries friends, THAT'S WHY we're top..The game finished with us singing "We are unbeatable"

I thought we all got right behind the guys today and although it was a relatively small travelling support (300 ish) we made plenty noise..

A absolutely great day out and all considered, a good result....Well done Saints.

Now lets deal with those soapdodging coagies.....

Did dropping Caff for Gartland have anything to do with the goals conceeded?

Not really. First goal was simply a hospital back pass from Craig. Second was from a set piece that they clearly worked on and (I think) Irvine and Craig were skinned by Dobbie. Third is hard to aportion blame. I thought Byrne should have closed Burns down quicker but Rutkiewicz was raging at Sheerin it looked like, who maybe didn't track their player?

Was really impressed with Gartland.

Not really. First goal was simply a hospital back pass from Craig. Second was from a set piece that they clearly worked on and (I think) Irvine and Craig were skinned by Dobbie. Third is hard to aportion blame. I thought Byrne should have closed Burns down quicker but Rutkiewicz was raging at Sheerin it looked like, who maybe didn't track their player?

Nae mention of the solid Byrne then Radford? lo l ,only jesting,think your report covers things nicely

Seriously thought we were done at 2-0. Yeah there was a great one handed save and we hit the post, but despite being the better team we were beaten. When we pulled 2 back i didn't think we'd lose (and I had a fiver on 2-2 at 16-1). I missed Queens 3rd due to the crowd bother - stewards just wanted to throw someone out and i feel for those who got slung out, and was gutted that we had gone behind again. The comeback makes me think we have what it takes to make this title is ours, and actually thought we'd hit the winner.

Really liked Byrne's passing, thought Jody fought for everything, and Swankie looked bang up for it when he came on. Another 10 games with this spirit and we'll be in the SPL next year.

Dobbie skinned more than two players!

For the first goal, I think, had only Main gone for it, it wouldn't havegone in. D'oh!

I would beg to differ. His body momentum on the pitch wouldve still had the same result. Defender running to clear it with his feet is a far better option than sliding.

No slip up although a draw, again, is not really great considering our main challengers are picking up points and Dunfermline are not.

Listening to Radio Scotland they mentioned a couple of times that we had a poor support, that said after 18 unbeaten games they expected a much bigger support. Anyone who was there can they comment on this?

What I heard her say was that it was an overall poor crowd - at no point did I hear her say that Saints had a poor travelling support.

What I heard her say was that it was an overall poor crowd - at no point did I hear her say that Saints had a poor travelling support.

I was listening to the "open all mics" frequency and at one point she did mention that she was suprised that we did not have a bigger travelling support. Anyway who cares? Cow!

Great comeback from the team though, great character shown in this game and the one at Dingwall. I just hope Jody's injury isnt too serious. Bring on the Dundee.