#29 - 28/02/09 - Dundee (h)

MUZZ

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Jody isn't fit then i'd play Moon for his work rate. May also be Gartland instead of Caff as Curier is a big physical forward.

Not so simple, Curier plays on the left so Garts won't be picking him up. Dundee tend to pass the ball, not lump the ball, so aerial ability is irrelevant in terms of marking MAC.

The twin Rangers, Cameron and MAC are playing very well but I'm intrigued by Jocky Fritzl's mindset. If I was him, I'd go 4-1-4-1 which they used to great effect earlier in the season. I think if they play McMenamin, they'll play into Del's hands.

Vital that we deal with Curier, he's raped us every time he's played us. Rusty was immense yesterday, we need the same again.

Most importantly, Del must get Mooner and Hardie some game time this week. Neither should start due to fitness concerns, but one or both will surely be involved as subs.

Main

Irvine-Rusty-Gartland-Byrne

Millar-Craig-Sheerin-Swankie

Milne-Holmes

Benched: McLean, Anderson, Mooner, Hardie, Peaso

Swankie is a big game player, this a big game.

Not so simple, Curier plays on the left so Garts won't be picking him up. Dundee tend to pass the ball, not lump the ball, so aerial ability is irrelevant in terms of marking MAC.

The twin Rangers, Cameron and MAC are playing very well but I'm intrigued by Jocky Fritzl's mindset. If I was him, I'd go 4-1-4-1 which they used to great effect earlier in the season. I think if they play McMenamin, they'll play into Del's hands.

Vital that we deal with Curier, he's raped us every time he's played us. Rusty was immense yesterday, we need the same again.

Most importantly, Del must get Mooner and Hardie some game time this week. Neither should start due to fitness concerns, but one or both will surely be involved as subs.

Main

Milne-Holmes

Are you serious? Swankie before Moon or Hardie? Agree it's a big game and that's why I wouldn't play Swankie. Too much at stake to risk someone who has done fu3k all for us all season.

Main

Milne-Holmes

Hmm you are both right and wrong in some aspects about our tactics. Our 4-1-4-1 formation worked well to begin with, but it soon went downhill with some awful performance including our last defeat (1-0 at Airdrie). When we used that we generally tried to hit it at MAC and hope it would stick which was not working at all. The Clyde game a couple of weeks back we went back to 4-4-2 and got the ball down and tried to play it and while we didnt play great we scored 2 great well worked goals. We then continued it in the Livi Double header, but to much greater effect with the addition of Cameron and Efrem (not hard to see why that lad is knocking on the ibrox first team door) and the switching of Shinnie out wide to replace Daquin. Since these tactical moves by Jocky we have looked a very dangerous team with a goal threat but we have been up against very mediocre defences (Livi's Griffin and Innes are a right laugh) so will be interesting to see how we come up against a better defence like saints, which although conceding 3 today/yesterday, is still one the better defences in the league.

A key area for me is our centre defence next week. Holmes bullied us big time in the last game at dens and we couldnt cope. I worry that if 17 year old Benedictus plays again next week Holmes could do the same again. We need Lauchlan or Gary Mckenzie back in there to partner Mckeown. Malone will come back in so we in probability will line up:

Douglas

Paton, Mckeown, Lauchlan/Mckenzie/Benedictus, Malone

Shinnie, Mchale, Cameron, Efrem

Curier, Mcmenamin.

Just out of interest what is the deal with the injuries saints got today...Morris and the other guy? look serious?

The onus is on Dundee. They have to come and beat us, a draw is no good to them. Like QOS (and us) they are a form team. However we can afford another draw in this particular case with plenty games to come with 3 points on them. So with the onus on them I think we should just attack from the start, put them under pressure and have a go!

Vital that we deal with Curier, he's raped us every time he's played us.

He was terrible in Perth in September, although the whole Dundee team was bar the now departed debutant Rhian Dodds. At Dens he's done really well against us though. It'll be interesting to see if Scott comes to Perth with Shinnie, Efrem and Cameron all in the same midfield. Very attacking, so at the same time brave considering our home record. I would maybe wonder that if he wants to include all three of them, he might add an extra midfielder in place of McMenamin.

It's also been touched on but however much potential Benedictus has, you'd have to think a 17-year-old would struggle massively against Holmes.

I still think this could have 0-0 written all over it. Both teams live to fight on. Both sides will be more concerned with not losing the match and the fallout from that.

Hmm you are both right and wrong in some aspects about our tactics. Malone will come back in so we in probability will line up:

Douglas

Paton, Mckeown, Lauchlan/Mckenzie/Benedictus, Malone

Shinnie, Mchale, Cameron, Efrem

Curier, Mcmenamin.

Love it, a team with no settled central defence. That'll do nicely. 2-0 Saints again and then send the baillifs in again..

this time last year we went to dens on a last chance saloon mission and we lost in an entertaining 3-2 game with jody morris making his debut. hopefully the same sort of quality game but with ourselves getting the vital win. looking back, that was a great game of football. hopefully noone breaks our dressing room windows though ;)

Love it, a team with no settled central defence. That'll do nicely. 2-0 Saints again and then send the baillifs in again..

No mate a team with the best defence in the league,who have struggled to score goals until recently.Obviously a really tough game for both teams but one I am confident with I,d go with.

Douglas

Paton

McKeown

McKenzie

Malone

Effrem

Cameron

McHale

Shinnie

Curier

McMenamin.

As radford said we may sacrifice a striker and play posniak but I really hope we go for it.I would prefer McKnzie at the back as at dens last game saints kept humping the ball up to jaws fae james bond.

This looks like an Saints v Airdre game from the 90's. We need a Mark Treanor

Same result and crowd please :laugh:

Im really looking forward to this,im like a bairn waiting on xmas,ya canna beat a game against this lot,ive a good Dundee chum coming through for the game,he will be joining myself and Bear in the 208 before (and maybe after) the game,please feel free to give him a gold old stonking Perth Saints welcome :D

Huge game. I personally think that getting three points has to be the target rather than a draw, I am ever mindful of the threat from down the Tay but am quietly confident of a Saintees win. Dundee win and they are right on our tails, we win and we surely knock them out of it once and for all? Big game and hopefully a really big crowd.

Main

Irvine Ruti Garters Byrne

Millar Moon Morris Craig

Savo Holmes

Subs: McLean, Caff, Sheerin, Swankie, Peaso/Samuel.

Injuries permitting.

MON SAINTEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE'RE BLUE, WE'RE WHITE, WE'RE FECKING DYNAMITE THE SUPER SAINTS, THE SUPER SAINTS!!!!!

Think a big issue will be how we start the game, we won't keep getting away with going goals down and coming back!

I know it's happened a few times in recent weeks but one Saints fan pointed out that in the nineteen games we've only actually lost goals to trail on five occasions, so it's not been a big problem. I remember in Coyle's first season, losing the first goal was a massive issue for us.

Huge game. I personally think that getting three points has to be the target rather than a draw, I am ever mindful of the threat from down the Tay

(QUOTE]

Obviously an emotionally charged game and a local derby, with the added dynamic of the unbeaten run record. But its nothing like as big as the win that secured our place in Europe, or dare I say it, the day Dundee won the league at Muirton. A draw would do us, we could even afford to lose. They probably need to win, but even defeat would not rule Dundee out of contention. So its huge but not decisive.

Its more important for Dundee than us. I get the feeling that we have been getting better the last few weeks, although the first half against Livi was dire. Poor defending at critical moments denied us a win yesterday. If we're tight at the back next week and they go for it I'm confident that the game is ours for the winning or losing.

My only question is why I am I going south of the Border next Saturday?

Some one needs to get a hold of the players beforehand and have them coming out of the blocks straight away. Dundee will run out fired up with a loud and massive support behind them. We cannot afford to feel our way into this game like we have been. This is the time for DM to earn his paypacket and give the pre match talk of his life....

He was terrible in Perth in September, although the whole Dundee team was bar the now departed debutant Rhian Dodds. At Dens he's done really well against us though. It'll be interesting to see if Scott comes to Perth with Shinnie, Efrem and Cameron all in the same midfield. Very attacking, so at the same time brave considering our home record. I would maybe wonder that if he wants to include all three of them, he might add an extra midfielder in place of McMenamin.

It's also been touched on but however much potential Benedictus has, you'd have to think a 17-year-old would struggle massively against Holmes.

I still think this could have 0-0 written all over it. Both teams live to fight on. Both sides will be more concerned with not losing the match and the fallout from that.

I agree that Dodds looked good, but Curier shaded it for me.

We're thinking along similar lines though, I think Cowan will play ahead of McMenamin, with Paton going behind Mickey Cameron and McHale. If he goes 4-4-2, I think we'll dominate.

Are you serious? Swankie before Moon or Hardie? Agree it's a big game and that's why I wouldn't play Swankie. Too much at stake to risk someone who has done fu3k all for us all season.

Swankie has played regularly since November, neither of the other two have. Moon's lack of fitness/games let us down badly at Dens, not his fault but still a fact. I don't think Hards is close to being fit. RBB accuses me of making stories but never offers the case for the defence. Sheerin is talented but cannot play wide, I'd give him 60 minutes and hope Craig covers his back.