Club Badge

Scott1884

I have Saints memorabilia from the 80s which bears the club badge exactly as shown on this website (the sheep holding the saltire on blue blackground). Now the club badge on shirts, the main entrance at McDiarmid, etc. is the double headed eagle with a small sheep/saltire in the centre. When did this change occur - was it when we moved to McDiarmid?

I have Saints memorabilia from the 80s which bears the club badge exactly as shown on this website (the sheep holding the saltire on blue blackground). Now the club badge on shirts, the main entrance at McDiarmid, etc. is the double headed eagle with a small sheep/saltire in the centre. When did this change occur - was it when we moved to McDiarmid?

Yes, with the Bonar Strip we wore in our first season at mcDiarmid

For a pretty good look at our old strips - when different badges and colours were introduced, etc - try this little bad boy out: http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/St_Johnstone/St_Johnstone.htm

There's one I particularly dislike on there, which is the 74-76 strip, which for some reason has red socks and makes it look a bit too much like Rangers/Scumdee/Falkirk for my liking. You can also see this kit on the September page of this year's Saints calendar.

For a pretty good look at our old strips - when different badges and colours were introduced, etc - try this little bad boy out: http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/St_Johnstone/St_Johnstone.htm

Good site BH, I hope they use the maroon kit somehow for the anniversary year. The worst strips clearly the first uncorroborated one, looks like the fakes. Bring back lamb.

Good site BH, I hope they use the maroon kit somehow for the anniversary year. The worst strips clearly the first uncorroborated one, looks like the fakes. Bring back lamb.

For next season, I'd love to see Saints mark the 125th anniversary (and possibly also our return to the top flight? not to mention the 20th anniversary of McDiarmid Park!) by bringing back a couple of classic strips (a bit like Arsenal did for their last season at Highbury). My choice would be the 1885/87-style maroon shirt with white shorts for the home kit, and the 1887/88-style white shirt with dark blue shorts for the away kit. I'd also like to see the special 125th anniversary club crest used on the strip.

Chuck in a teal and magenta third strip in tribute to our best ever away kit, and I'd be deeply chuffed.:D

Thius will be pretentious and really wanky but here goes. As Shaggy says our current badge is based on St Johns' lamb of God - or as its refered to in ecclesiastical art - Agnus Dei. Those of you who have read the Da Vinci Code will remember the secret society Opus Dei (Body of God).

If you go down to the St Johns' Kirk or to St Johns' RC Cuurch the Lamb of God/Saints logo is visible usually at the crossing point of the crucifix. You can find the image in every major Catholic, Aglican church.

It gives me great moral comfort that I can sit in any bar in the world and look at a label of Dewars whisky and see the name Perth, then wak up bleary eyed in the morning head for the local cathdral and pray an the seat of the Saints badge. Any other saddos out there. Read this and pray at the feet of Saintees Legends. We are not worthy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnus_Dei

Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis.

Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis.

Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, three points please.

One of the most memorable moments in Saints badge history must surely be when the Challenge Cup Final programme from 96/97 used a doctored Saints crest throughout its pages, which replaced the traditional St Johns lamb and flag with a sketch of a bloke fiddling with a sheep.

Thius will be pretentious and really wanky but here goes. As Shaggy says our current badge is based on St Johns' lamb of God - or as its refered to in ecclesiastical art - Agnus Dei.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-484730/Is-model-Agyness-Deyn--new-Kate-Moss--really-years-older-says.html

i thought u were talking about the tabloids new favourite