Perth Concert Hall

MUZZ

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bearing in mind the guy is the singer in one of the biggest rock/metal groups of the 90s and has sold millions of records but nobody seemed to notice. Clearly gash promotion.

I'm not being wide, Derek, but why is the failure of that useless, tuneless bugger to sell 1800 tickets in Perth for his solo tour, a full decade after he was "famous", the result of "clearly gash promotion"?

Why do you think a promoter like DF didn't touch him?

Could it be that the tour didn't have a hope of succeeding because he's (whisper it) rubbish?

I'm not being wide, Derek, but why is the failure of that useless, tuneless bugger to sell 1800 tickets in Perth for his solo tour, a full decade after he was "famous", the result of "clearly gash promotion"?

Why do you think a promoter like DF didn't touch him?

Could it be that the tour didn't have a hope of succeeding because he's (whisper it) rubbish?

As I said I'm not a huge KoЯn fan outside of a handful of songs but he was getting decent reviews for his solo tour at the time when I looked it up. I only heard about the Perth gig as my mate was a big fan of him. I don't know if it was a case of people not realising who it was as it wasn't attached to his band's name or people not even knowing about it.

Fat Sams Live holds 1000 and has none of the infrastructure and nothing like the staffing levels of the Concert Hall. They've got a very different booking strategy to PCH and a very different audience to aim at. They're very different venues.

Most of the gigs put on at Fat Sams Live are booked by DF Concerts - the biggest concert promoter in Scotland and the people behind T in the Park. Perth - like it or not - is not on the touring map for bands of the type I suspect people are pining for. Put simply, it's just not worth their while playing the town, ergo, it's not worth a promoter's while to bring them. Nevertheless, DF Concerts have been involved in booking bands for Perth Concert Hall, but when they do, it's not worth much to PCH beyond increasing their reputation. DF do these gigs on a "venue hire" basis. They pay whatever the fee to book the concert hall is and that's as far as it goes. The profits (if there are any, and there frequently aren't) are DF's. NOT Perth Concert Hall's.

The reason PCH don't do more rock and pop bookings themselves is pretty complex. But put as simply as possible, the big promoters have the tour circuit locked down. Bands go with the big promoters because they can book lots of dates and have connections with ALL the big venues. If they go outside of them, the big promoters throw their weight around and often freeze them out. The dangers of this are pretty obvious for bands given the vast majority of their earnings now come from live performances. In addition, as is the case for DF when booking in Perth, there often isn't much money to be made in putting on rock and pop bands of the size the concert hall can sustain. The bands' guarantee (the fee they get for the gig) demands are often prohibitively high, and get higher the further off the beaten track the gig. These demands mean ticket prices get higher and reduce the chances of a sell-out, in turn reducing the chances of the venue turning a profit. It's a catch 22. Unless you're guaranteed a sell-out (and from experience I can say you're NEVER guaranteed a sell out in Perth) there's a huge risk in putting on rock bands.

Dundee can sustain these gigs regularly because, demographically speaking, it's vastly different to Perth. There are over 15,000 students in the city and tens of thousands more between the ages of 18-30 who go to gigs regularly and, by extension, are actively involved in consuming music. That doesn't exist in Perth on the same scale. It's a shame, but it's a fact.

Perth Concert Hall, in my opinion, does the best it can with what it's got to work with. People need to realise they live in Perth, not London, or even Dundee for that matter.

And no, I don't work for Perth Concert Hall.

Great post Miguel.

Fat Sams Live holds 1000 and has none of the infrastructure and nothing like the staffing levels of the Concert Hall. They've got a very different booking strategy to PCH and a very different audience to aim at. They're very different venues.

Most of the gigs put on at Fat Sams Live are booked by DF Concerts - the biggest concert promoter in Scotland and the people behind T in the Park. Perth - like it or not - is not on the touring map for bands of the type I suspect people are pining for. Put simply, it's just not worth their while playing the town, ergo, it's not worth a promoter's while to bring them. Nevertheless, DF Concerts have been involved in booking bands for Perth Concert Hall, but when they do, it's not worth much to PCH beyond increasing their reputation. DF do these gigs on a "venue hire" basis. They pay whatever the fee to book the concert hall is and that's as far as it goes. The profits (if there are any, and there frequently aren't) are DF's. NOT Perth Concert Hall's.

The reason PCH don't do more rock and pop bookings themselves is pretty complex. But put as simply as possible, the big promoters have the tour circuit locked down. Bands go with the big promoters because they can book lots of dates and have connections with ALL the big venues. If they go outside of them, the big promoters throw their weight around and often freeze them out. The dangers of this are pretty obvious for bands given the vast majority of their earnings now come from live performances. In addition, as is the case for DF when booking in Perth, there often isn't much money to be made in putting on rock and pop bands of the size the concert hall can sustain. The bands' guarantee (the fee they get for the gig) demands are often prohibitively high, and get higher the further off the beaten track the gig. These demands mean ticket prices get higher and reduce the chances of a sell-out, in turn reducing the chances of the venue turning a profit. It's a catch 22. Unless you're guaranteed a sell-out (and from experience I can say you're NEVER guaranteed a sell out in Perth) there's a huge risk in putting on rock bands.

Dundee can sustain these gigs regularly because, demographically speaking, it's vastly different to Perth. There are over 15,000 students in the city and tens of thousands more between the ages of 18-30 who go to gigs regularly and, by extension, are actively involved in consuming music. That doesn't exist in Perth on the same scale. It's a shame, but it's a fact.

Perth Concert Hall, in my opinion, does the best it can with what it's got to work with. People need to realise they live in Perth, not London, or even Dundee for that matter.

And no, I don't work for Perth Concert Hall.

How does it work with comedians then? we appear to get the best of them in the concert hall and i believe Dara O'Brian (12 th March )is SOLD OUT allready!!

How does it work with comedians then? we appear to get the best of them in the concert hall and i believe Dara O'Brian (12 th March )is SOLD OUT allready!!

Comedians are cheaper to book than bands. They also work different tour circuits, don't use the same promoters and have a much more diverse audience.

Everyone watches telly, so your average comedy crowd will span the whole age/sex spectrum. That gives the promoter a better chance of selling a large number of tickets and, thus, turning a profit. Perth can handle comedians because their audience is so universal.

Rock bands - especially contemporary ones - tend to attract an overwhelmingly male audience between the ages of 16-30. Perth can't support those kinds of acts because there aren't enough people within that bracket in the town.

Do they concert hall only use 1 promoter to bring people in, or is it a case that all bands only use 1 promoter?

Most gigs in Scotland featuring touring, contemporary rock and pop bands are put on by DF Concerts, or a subsidiary of DF Concerts.

DF don't bring many gigs to Perth Concert Hall because they don't make much (or, as I've already said, sometimes any) money from doing so.

That's the bottom line.

Is that because it cost alot to hire out the hall or is it the hall is to small to get a decent return on putting them on? It just a question :)

I've already touched on all this really.

The amount of money an established band will demand for an off-the-beaten-track gig at Perth Concert Hall is generally such that ticket prices have to go up to the £30 bracket for the gig to turn a profit, even as a sell-out. That prices people out. Less tickets sold > no money made > no more gigs. That's capitalism!

If the hall was bigger tickets could be cheaper, but there'd be even less chance of selling out because Perth wouldn't have the audience to fill it, or the ability to attract a travelling audience. If it was smaller, it'd be even less worth any band's while to play there and ticket prices would have to be astronomical to cover costs.

Bands want to play big cities because that's where their customers are, if you like. It just doesn't make financial sense for them to come to Perth, or the promoters to bring them.

Edited by MiguelSimao

I've already touched on all this really.

The amount of money an established band will demand for an off-the-beaten-track gig at Perth Concert Hall is generally such that ticket prices have to go up to the £30 bracket for the gig to turn a profit, even as a sell-out. That prices people out. Less tickets sold > no money made > no more gigs. That's capitalism!

If the hall was bigger tickets could be cheaper, but there'd be even less chance of selling out because Perth wouldn't have the audience to fill it, or the ability to attract a travelling audience. If it was smaller, it'd be even less worth any band's while to play there and ticket prices would have to be astronomical to cover costs.

Bands want to play big cities because that's where their customers are, if you like. It just doesn't make financial sense for them to come to Perth, or the promoters to bring them.

are a promoter?

• 3 weeks later...