Thistle Memories

soulfulsaint

One of my best and worst memories of watching saints has been against title rivals Partick Thistle. I was at the famous 8-1 game in Glasgow in the early '70s when we went a goal down and replied with 8. To this day I thinks its Thistle's worst competitive result. Hall and Comnolly supreme.

Saw all the "Firhill we always win four-nil" games but that song was brought to abrupt halt earlier this season when I witnessed the most inept display by a Saints side in 10 years and we were beat 4-0. It was the day that the left-back problem was fully exposed and Rusty went walkabouts.

Your memories of games against Thistle?

(This thread is tailor made for JYB he can be on a Saints forum all day pretending to support Thistle)

One of my best and worst memories of watching saints has been against title rivals Partick Thistle. I was at the famous 8-1 game in Glasgow in the early '70s when we went a goal down and replied with 8. To this day I thinks its Thistle's worst competitive result. Hall and Comnolly supreme.

Was at that game too. Bus driver got lost got in as Saints scored 3rd goal I think. Still one of the great memories.

My earliest memory was a young Maurice Johnston wearing the red yellow and black before his move to Watford and sure Alan Rough was in goal.Was at firhill about 86 when we won 7-3 and got humped 6-2 in the same season.The 2-1 game at Mcd in 1990 when the thistle casuals attacked the Dunkeld rd supporters bus in the car park after the game.

My earliest memory was a young Maurice Johnston wearing the red yellow and black before his move to Watford and sure Alan Rough was in goal.Was at firhill about 86 when we won 7-3 and got humped 6-2 in the same season.The 2-1 game at Mcd in 1990 when the thistle casuals attacked the Dunkeld rd supporters bus in the car park after the game.

Johnston and Rough played together for two seasons - 1981-82 and 1982-83. We were relegated from the Premier Division in the first of those, while the second saw St Johnstone win the First Division.

We beat the Saints twice that season, with Super Mo (who scored 34 goals that season) netting during a 3-1 win at Firhill.

The 7-3 and 6-2 games occurred during the '84-'85 season when Saints were relegated from the First. The third game between the sides was a 2-2 draw.

I'm a relatively young man, and only have bad memories of games against Saints.

I was at the famous 8-1 game in Glasgow in the early '70s when we went a goal down and replied with 8.

August 1969. It was a League Cup tie when the competition featured group stages. Saints also won 4-0 at Muirton. We lost every game in that competition (conceding 25 goals) and finished last in the First Division (top league), that season.

August 1969. It was a League Cup tie when the competition featured group stages. Saints also won 4-0 at Muirton. We lost every game in that competition (conceding 25 goals) and finished last in the First Division (top league), that season.

..and just to prove it was 'diddy cup' you went on to win it...4-1 in that great final against Celtic

My abiding memory of a Thistle match was a Monday night match shown on Sky at McDiarmid. Thistle brought a few hundred through but also brought a massive shirt that may just have been the lad Jim Slaven's - it covered an entire section of seats from the concourse level up to the top of the stand!!!

Oh and the game was arguably one of the worst ever shown live on TV - 0-0 with no chances at all. Can someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe it may have been a first division match?

Oh and the game was arguably one of the worst ever shown live on TV - 0-0 with no chances at all. Can someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe it may have been a first division match?

It was indeed, it was during our great run that clinched the 1st in 96/97 (might even have been the game after 7-2). Thistle came with the intention of sitting in and getting a point which they duly did, rubbish game only made vaguely interesting by the thistle fans who never shut up for 90 minutes.

I think that might hae been Sky's first and last dalliance with the Scottish 1st Division.

96/97 near the end of the season when sekerlioglu hit a free kick which hit the post, then the cross bar before going in. belter.

this season - the 4-0 shambles and Irvine with the superb clearence off the line.

favourite thing about Thistle is that you can get Nachos and cheese at the ground. what a rare treat.

I was at the 8-1 win/massacre when I was a kid but really it was 6-1 to me since our bus driver amazingly got lost. I'm sure it was a guy called Gordon Louden who asked when we had just got in "What's the score?" and this adult Saints fan said "2-0" and we laughed. :laugh: We didn't think we were that late, that's just like a final score.

I was there when a full back kept assaulting John Pelosi which to be honest was normal but the highlight of the game was the introduction of a player who was totally brilliant and was the difference between the teams - Maurice Johnston.

i was at the Roddy hatrick game and also two 4-0 wins through there.

It was indeed, it was during our great run that clinched the 1st in 96/97 (might even have been the game after 7-2). Thistle came with the intention of sitting in and getting a point which they duly did, rubbish game only made vaguely interesting by the thistle fans who never shut up for 90 minutes.

I think that might hae been Sky's first and last dalliance with the Scottish 1st Division.

God, I remember sitting in a pub down South watching that with some English mates. It was total gash.

I think that you are right and it was the game after the 7-2 game,i remember going to the game with a non-saints suporting glory hunter who wanted to come along after the previous game.... man, he chose the wrong game to go to!!

I think that you are right and it was the game after the 7-2 game,i remember going to the game with a non-saints suporting glory hunter who wanted to come along after the previous game.... man, he chose the wrong game to go to!!

Yeah we had won 10 games in a row or something, playing absolutely scintillating football. It all ended that night!!

Just thinking back there are loads of memorable games against Thistle!!

Favourite probably the second 4-0 win the 1996/97 season, set us up for game at home to East Fife the next week to clinch the league with about six games still to go.

Fizzy Scott got two, Dino pinged one in and Roddy got one I think. Could have been 10-0. Probably the best bit was seeing Murdo McLeod getting abused by both sets of fans however.

Did Keith O'Halloran make his debut that day or have made that one up?