#35 - 07/04/09 - Dunfermline Athletic (h)

Most of us agreed that a draw in the Partick game would not be the end of the world but we need to win our remaining home games to ensure we do not fail to get out of this league this season. We have not won a hell of alot of games recently and this one must come in the "must win" category. What concerns me is that we have only managed two wins in the past seven games and that was to the two teams who are bottom of the league. Now we take on the team with the best away record in the division. Squeaky bum time.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now we take on the team with the best away record in the division. Squeaky bum time.

Yes but playing the team with one of the best recent home records in Britain.

Will Dunfermline's cup-run play to our advantage or disadvantage? Over the two games if some of Dunfermline's better players are carrying knocks they may not be 'risked.' Alternatively, fringe players will be keen to force themselves into semi-final reckoning.

So, much to ponder over.

Narrow, scrappy and ugly home win will do me.

Interesting to see what Herts has said about the Pars on Tuesday night. They don't seem to be playing well but then they are maybe due a performance and will remember well their win here in August. We showed against Clyde and Airdrie that we are maybe getting some form back but I thought were tactically poor yesterday and would like see a more conventional 4-4-2 on Tuesday. I know Sammy is a great attacking threat but the balance isn't right unless he drops back a bit and we have a proper right midfielder playing.

Is there any chance of Peaso being fit? Savo and Holmes didn't do it for me yesterday and Barrett just doesn't look like he's going to offer anything. Option of course to move Sammy up top. Plenty of options for the manager whatever but just hope he gets it right as three points would be massive. It would send out a message and also dent Thistle's confidence without them kicking a ball. Any dropped points gives them a huge lift.

The pars' season is over. They will be playing for pride and contracts. They may come to Perth with no collective pressure on them, but enough to play for personally to do a job and get a result. OR, they could have one eye on next season, and go throughthe rest of the year trying not to get injured or booked in "meaningless" games and lie down at the first sign of pressure/commitment.

Less pressure on Tuesday than there was yesterday in my opinion. Or when dundee came at the end of Feb a win for them would have carried more signficance.

The pressure was greater on our opponents in both scenarios. No pressure on Dunfermline at all. On top of that, Del got our tactics entirely wrong in our last two games, Dunfermline tavel reasonably well and are they're the only team to outplay us (without good reason) home and away.

The pressure was greater on our opponents in both scenarios. No pressure on Dunfermline at all. On top of that, Del got our tactics entirely wrong in our last two games, Dunfermline tavel reasonably well and are they're the only team to outplay us (without good reason) home and away.

Think that's an interesting point. I could see where Mike was coming from in his reply to your original post but you are right to say in the games where we were under pressure (Dundee and Thistle) so were the opposition. There are virtually no expectations on the Pars ahead of Tuesday.

Don't think you can argue with the tactics vs Airdrie when we won 3-0. We'd struggle to create anything of note against County or Dundee at home so it wasn't too bad to put Sammy further forward. Should have been something more conventional yesterday though, especially when their best player operates on the left of midfield and is comfortable drifting out wide, unlike our player on the right of the midfield three.

I thought Dunfermline played like you'd expect the home team to play when we faced them at EEP. We played well ourselves that day though and pretty sure I felt we merited our win. Demolished us in Perth though.

Don't think you can argue with the tactics vs Airdrie when we won 3-0. We'd struggle to create anything of note against County or Dundee at home so it wasn't too bad to put Sammy further forward. Should have been something more conventional yesterday though, especially when their best player operates on the left of midfield and is comfortable drifting out wide, unlike our player on the right of the midfield three.

Against Airdrie, the tactics were wrong. Mooner cannot play the right side/wing and drifted totally out of position. That was a warning to us, many on here spotted it, but our manager did not. Sammy could have played right and Liam left.

Airdire's left side "threat" allowed Mooner to suit himself without punishment whereas Harkins was made to look good by Kevin Moon's indiscipline or lack of instruction.

Yesterday saw, Sammy was moved forward, back, right then forward again. Del's gotta stop tinkering.

I thought Dunfermline played like you'd expect the home team to play when we faced them at EEP. We played well ourselves that day though and pretty sure I felt we merited our win. Demolished us in Perth though.

I think Dunfermline outplayed us at EEP, the importance of Liam's goal can never be overstated. Rusty calls it "goal of the season" and he's right on so many levels.

I think Dunfermline outplayed us at EEP...

I think they merely played like you'd expect the home team to play against the away team in this most equal of leagues. Their performance at EEP was nothing that will linger in the memory and shouldn't scare us ahead of facing them again. Their August showing maybe is but then we didn't turn up that day.

I still don't think the tactics can be "wrong" when you win 3-0, our biggest win since October.

The pars' season is over. They will be playing for pride and contracts. They may come to Perth with no collective pressure on them, but enough to play for personally to do a job and get a result. OR, they could have one eye on next season, and go throughthe rest of the year trying not to get injured or booked in "meaningless" games and lie down at the first sign of pressure/commitment.

aye they've "only" a Scottish Cup Semi to look forward to against local rivals Falkirk

I think they'll want to stick it right up us in the 2 games so our attitude and commitment has to be perfect

We are in cruise control as far as promotion is concerned and giving after this game we only have 5 league games left.....so being 6 points clear wouldnt be the worst

Teamwise I would go with................

Main (legend)

Irvine Ruti Caff Kinniburgh

Swankie Hardie Craig Sheerin

Savo Sammy.

Predict a nervy 1-0 saints win.

:)

aye they've "only" a Scottish Cup Semi to look forward to against local rivals Falkirk

I think they'll want to stick it right up us in the 2 games so our attitude and commitment has to be perfect

Sorry, I meant the league was over for them, the cup could provide a nice diversion for them. Dont see how they could particularily want to stick it right up us. We have only taken three points off them, wasnt us that ended any title assperations.

Dont expect less than three points over the two games tho, not really expecting any more.