#35 - 07/04/09 - Dunfermline Athletic (h)

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mooner went to Forfar in August 2006 at the age of 19, and Doris was the same age when he went to Montrose for the first time. Reynolds is still just 16-years-old.

You win!

There is nothing wrong with him scoring goals, gaining confidence and most importantly enjoying his football at this stage of his development, working with TC, PS and the rest to improve his game, without having another coach from a different club, with different ideals, telling him something else. I doubt you'll find a 16-year-old anywhere in Scotland out on loan at another senior club.

Complacency is a big danger, he needs a challenge.

I don't buy into "different coaches, different ideas" being harmful. It's appears to have worked for Jacko, Mooner and Doris. The good ones filter what they're being told.

Also, he could have trained with Saints for three days a week and trained with Forfar/Brechin at the astro on week nights. He would have pushed himself hard and would have been out of the spotlight.

Complacency is a big danger, he needs a challenge.

I don't buy into "different coaches, different ideas" being harmful. It's appears to have worked for Jacko, Mooner and Doris. The good ones filter what they're being told.

Also, he could have trained with Saints for three days a week and trained with Forfar/Brechin at the astro on week nights. He would have pushed himself hard and would have been out of the spotlight.

I accept your first point but then coaches can only do so much. If the player is going to become complacent in his first year as a professional then I wouldn't hold out much hope for him. Not suggesting that is the case with any of the current youngsters though.

I think it's all a matter of timing regarding the coaching. At this early stage I think they should be focused on what they are learning at Saints. You can never learn too much but it has to come at the right time after Sheerin, TC etc... have done the groundwork IMO.

Don't think we're gonna agree on this though and I guess at the end of the day it really comes down to the player.

No he shouldn't. He's a 16-year-old lad who is better placed playing alongside his peers in the U17 league and stepping up to reserve team matches to continue his development. Next year will be a tough one for him as a 17-year-old in an U19 league and that combined with more reserve games will hopefully see him continue to progress.

You have said yourself that having him involved with the first team (in this situation) would be too much too soon but the same would apply with putting him out on loan.

In saying that, if we do win the league before the last game then there is scope there for these lads to get a brief taste of first team football.

Development of the majority of young players is a long term thing and promotion to the SPL would be massive for these youngster as well as they'd benefit massively from the weekly experience of playing reserve team football in the SPL.

I dont buy into nonsense like that, if the players goodenough age means feck all. FEDERICO MACHEDA

I dont buy into nonsense like that, if the players goodenough age means feck all. FEDERICO MACHEDA

You are talking about totally different ends of the spectrum. I don't know much about Macheda but you get guys, like Rooney and Fabregas, that occasionally come along and are already developed enough to playing in the best league in the world at that age. Our guys, with respect to them, are a million miles away from that and will need all the help they can get to make it as a professional, if they have the right attitude.

Look around the Scottish leagues. The only 16 or 17-year-olds playing regular football are McCarthy and Fleck, the two hottest talents in the country. Rangers, for example, have other guys like Ness and Wilson who are hot property but unless you are exceptional, you won't be playing first team football at that age, at Ibrox or out on loan.

FFS how the hell can anybody be judged on 9 mins???

The reason he doesnt get played at home more often is because of this attitude. I would rather the ball is at his feet on the edge of the box or touchline than just about any of our other players? He hasnt had a great season but give the boy a break. :roll:

Were you at Clyde Away? Airdrie Home Game? Morton Away? to say he has only played against rangers is far from true.

FYI I was.

It was actually decided weeks ago that he was to make a first team appearance sooner rather than later. I actually had £20 on him scorin, its called inside information:cool:

I know, I heard about him a few weeks ago and I wasn't surprised when he came on, but my point is that if Berbatov was there then Macheda would not have got on with United 2-1 down.

Ando would've played well at centre but then so did Gartland!

I would stick James on the bench on Saturday either as cover for defense or better still as another target man

Given Anderson's medical situation, it is strange that James wasn't on the bench ahead of Hards. He had two centre backs on the bench against Thistle!