#36 - 11/04/09 - Dunfermline Athletic (a)

MUZZ

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have to just go out and attack them from the word go. If their injury list is, in the end, as long as it seems they will be without several of their best players. Their home record is pretty shocking this season, and, of course, we desperately need three points.

We have to set up to go out and hammer them from the word go, but the problem still exists that we don't have the firepower necessary. Imagine we had Jason Scotland this season...

I think we saw enough on Tuesday to suggest that if we get at them early they might crumble.

I think Swankie has to start and would bring Hardie back in. Up top is where the problems are and for me its the combination that is poor. I dont think they can play together. With Homer you know what you are going to get. The problem for me is that Savo never seems to read the flicks and at this stage I cant see an excuse for that, they have played together long enough.

So up front for me it would be Homer and Sammy or Savo and Barrett but not Savo and Homer. There is enough evidence to say that it just does not work. Even if fit Peaso wont come straight back in.

For me Millar and Savo would drop out from Tuesday

Seriously?

Yeah seriously. Apart from not scoring enough goals(which he was not brought here to do) when has he actually put a foot wrong. He has never once given less than 110% in every game he's played and i dont just mean in work rate, i mean sticking to his task, following instructions, motivating team mates. No defender in this league likes playing against him, and every striker would love to play with him. But i suppose you know better than the pro's Al.

He's given 110%, that is true, and you are right about some of the things he does for the team - but it doesn't take away from the fact that he doesn't have the skill or talent for a side that is top of the league and looking for promotion. He doesn't link well often enough with his strike partner, he is too slow to pick up through balls, doesn't shoot and can't head for goal - a big thing, for me, in a target man.

I do agree that he gives centre-halfs a tough time by charging at them in the way he does, but it simply does not produce enough. I can count at least half a dozen times off the top of my head where he has missed straight forward chances this season, some of which would have won us matches. I'm talking about ones you would expect a professional footballer to score. You say he wasn't brought here to score goals - but he is a centre forward, you would expect him to score more than four goals in 31 appearances this season, particularly when you look at the chances he has missed. He often seems scared to shoot, and his heading is unbelievably weak.

Yeah seriously. Apart from not scoring enough goals(which he was not brought here to do) when has he actually put a foot wrong. He has never once given less than 110% in every game he's played and i dont just mean in work rate, i mean sticking to his task, following instructions, motivating team mates. No defender in this league likes playing against him, and every striker would love to play with him. But i suppose you know better than the pro's Al.

That last line is right up there with asking folk what level they played at. Milne may enjoy playing with Holmes but what John says is right, they don't have the sort of understanding I'd expect from guys that have been together all season. They aren't anywhere near what Scotland and MacDonald had and what Jackson and Deuchar had.

Like, I think, John is saying, neither is a bad player (some may disagree) but they don't compliment each other as well as you'd expect. Of course there are examples of them producing together but we're at the top of the league so of course there is going to be something to show.

I like both players but, again like John, I'd be interested to see us go with something different up top tomorrow.

Another bitchy reply.

Couple of points. Firstly, no player gives more than 100%. If you can't get basic facts right, people will doubt the quality or accuracy of the other points in your post.

Next, McInnes does expect him to score goals. He was brought here to do so and has reiterated the point publicly at the December, Meet the Manager.

Third point which is dubious. Perhaps the strikers enjoy playing with him because he makes them look good. In motor racing, the ideal team mate is any driver who is two seconds slower per lap!

My biggest gripe with Homer, is the difference between his Rangers performance (bust a gut, rarely lost an aerial challenge) and some of his lacklustre, league efforts. He never once looked for a foul against Rangers.

Another bitchy reply.

Pot and kettle!

110% is a figure of speech you ignorant . . . . Anyway.

Any striker is expected to score goals, obviously. But that not why McInnes singled him out as an addition to the squad. Agree??? And anyway he is as good a finisher as any but the guys confidence is shot at the moment.

Strikers enjoy playing with him because he works hard, always looks for the ball and always looks to set his fellow striker up. Fact!

And lastly your motor racing analogies dont work.

He is CLEARLY not as good a finisher as, say, Milne, or indeed most of the other players in Saints' team. He can't head for goal - it is always very weak and straight at the keeper - can't strike the ball first time, and is always very, very slow to get a shot away. He always looks to set up his fellow striker, often at the detriment of an easier opportunity to score himself.

McCaffery - 24 league games - 4 goals

Holmes - 22 League games - 4 goals

He's no goal machine that's for sure.

Matt Glennon had more of an eye for goal!!!!

Centre forwards are judged on thier goalscoring record.

When/if we get promoted will we sign another c/f on the premise that he's not there to score goals!!!

That last line is right up there with asking folk what level they played at. Milne may enjoy playing with Holmes but what John says is right, they don't have the sort of understanding I'd expect from guys that have been together all season. They aren't anywhere near what Scotland and MacDonald had and what Jackson and Deuchar had.

Like, I think, John is saying, neither is a bad player (some may disagree) but they don't compliment each other as well as you'd expect. Of course there are examples of them producing together but we're at the top of the league so of course there is going to be something to show.

I like both players but, again like John, I'd be interested to see us go with something different up top tomorrow.

Exactly Radford.

Its broken and we need to do something to fix it. I actually think Homer would be better if we got behind the full backs. Morton away for example. Although he didn't score he managed two powerful headers which went very close.

He is CLEARLY not as good a finisher as, say, Milne, or indeed most of the other players in Saints' team. He can't head for goal - it is always very weak and straight at the keeper - can't strike the ball first time, and is always very, very slow to get a shot away. He always looks to set up his fellow striker, often at the detriment of an easier opportunity to score himself.

Apart from that hes fine!

I feel a bit sorry for him in away. He isnt much of a footballer with the ball at his feet, I think he is always going to be an "impact" player. He is useful during the last 10-20 minutes if we are throwing the ball in the area to win high balls or if we are hanging on to hold up the ball as an outball.

Would like to see Milne and Samuel start tomorrow.

Yeah seriously. Apart from not scoring enough goals(which he was not brought here to do) when has he actually put a foot wrong. .

Wish Homer well and I have no interest in participating in the above dispute but the question is - "when has he put a foot wrong." The only significant example I can give is that he gifted possession to Airdrie when they scored their last minute goal against us. Jody wen't mental at him, if you recall.

I think you'll find that is 110% accurate.

Wish Homer well and I have no interest in participating in the above dispute but the question is - "when has he put a foot wrong." The only significant example I can give is that he gifted possession to Airdrie when they scored their last minute goal against us. Jody wen't mental at him, if you recall.

I think you'll find that is 110% accurate.

I'd even say thats 150% accurate. One mistake isnt bad SS.

Anyway, I think i am just arguing for arguements sake because i know that Holmes isnt doing himself justice this season.

All in all i hope he doesnt start tomorrow. I hope like many others its Milne and Samuel.

It will be special if we go through the next series of games and he doesn't make an arse of something and lose us some points.

Mr Kid, you've made some of these hurtful posts about Alan a few times now, apart from the fact I can't remember him costing us anything all season except the Rangers game, I'd much rather have a team of Main's than a team of boring chunts.

At least he cares and provides entertainment. Let's be honest, most of the time the quality of football at this level is horrid, it's entertainers like Main keep it interesting. Him chasing out to the half way line was a bright spot in a dire game last tuesday.

Mr Kid, you've made some of these hurtful posts about Alan a few times now, apart from the fact I can't remember him costing us anything all season except the Rangers game, I'd much rather have a team of Main's than a team of boring chunts.

At least he cares and provides entertainment. Let's be honest, most of the time the quality of football at this level is horrid, it's entertainers like Main keep it interesting. Him chasing out to the half way line was a bright spot in a dire game last tuesday.

He made a hash of things at QOS and cost us points in the dying minutes but more than paid back with saves in last two games

We`re all gettin one thing wrong with the team selections. Millar is no fcukin use on the right and no much good elsewhere. If we`re playin homer we need someone who can whip decent crosses in from the bye-line for him to get on the end of. Yes young chris got there once and did deliver a nice ball into the goalmouth, but it was a dundee roller. Ideal ball for peaso not homer.

Come on you can't blame Millar cos Holmes missed a sitter! - the guy's a striker for christsakes. Yes he's good in the air but he should be able to slot away chances with his feet aswell.

On the contrary it seems to me that most defenders in this division love playing against him, Wilson certainly did on Tuesday as he hardly had to break sweat.

Giving 100% in a game is a minimum requirement. Even us amateurs know that.

And anyway he is as good a finisher as any but the guys confidence is shot at the moment

That is patently untrue, you only need to look at the amount of chances he has missed this season. There is absolutely no way he is as good a finisher as Savo or Peaso. And if he is doing all these other things so well and is loved by his team mates then why is his confidence shot? Surely he should be super confident?