Those Morton Memories

soulfulsaint

I was mascot at Muirton for a game against Morton in 88/89, I think Morton won but I can't remember the score (1-0 maybe?). My abiding memory of the day though is seeing Shaggy Jenkins in the buff when I went into the changing room before the start of the game.

For the cup quarter final (a few weeks later) we made it all the way to the ground before finding out it was off. We stopped off at Parkhead on the way home (Celtic were playing Hearts I think) but my dad decided we shouldn't go in as the only tickets left were for the Jungle. The replay at Muirton is the first really big crowd I remember being in, can't remember a bloody thing about the game.

Was the Alexander goal on the telly? I seem to remember a Morton goal at McD being in the credits of Sportscene for a while.

Was the Alexander goal on the telly? I seem to remember a Morton goal at McD being in the credits of Sportscene for a while.

Yeah think the highlights were on that night. That was back in the days first division football was considered highlight worthy rather than just having both of the Old Firm on. We featured a fair few times that season on either BBC or STV.

Yeah think the highlights were on that night. That was back in the days first division football was considered highlight worthy rather than just having both of the Old Firm on. We featured a fair few times that season on either BBC or STV.
Yip, Partick and Airdrie as well as the Morton Game

I was in the gowrie when the first 1/4 final was called off at Cappielow and if I remember right we took the bus we had hired to Stirling Albion that day and caused a stir by singing Saints songs while they were playing East Stirling (I think it was them anyway).

Have good memories of the 2-2 at Cappielow when it was played and then beating them 3-2 at Muirton. Great days.

Think i was 4 and im sure i went to a morton v airdrie game in 94 with my dad for some reason!

All i remember from Morton those days was the lad with the cracking name Marco Rajamaki and his blonde locks!

Which reminds me, singing get your tits out for the boys down at their ground when the beat us 1-0 2nd last game of the season after a late run of form by us.

I was in the gowrie when the first 1/4 final was called off at Cappielow and if I remember right we took the bus we had hired to Stirling Albion that day and caused a stir by singing Saints songs while they were playing East Stirling (I think it was them anyway).

Have good memories of the 2-2 at Cappielow when it was played and then beating them 3-2 at Muirton. Great days.

Me, erchie, billy butlins and a few others went to that game as well. In the half a tanner for ten then the game was called off so we jumped on the train with a kerry oot and had a braw day. Two of us ended up wandering into the boardroom just before half time, eating sandwiches and watching scotland v wales rugby on the telly before getting moved by some wee woman who wisnae best pleased at us being in there :laugh:

Taking erchie's contact lens out with an inflatable banana at the first quarter final tie and everybody round about being ordered to stand still until he found it, which the man most certainly did :laugh:

Getting severely pissed off at the **** because they would let Spencer play against us but not against them if Morton had won.

I can recall Morton in various kits through the years. The first I remember them was when they were our promotion rivals under Bobby Brown and I'm sure it was a Wednesday night but could be wrong but Saints got an away draw 0-0 and that meant we were Champions! They came up in 2nd place out of a 19 team league and they had Scandanavians playing for them.

I remember the 1989 away Scottish Cup draw with Morton 2-2 - fantastic game which brough a replay to Perth which was also brilliant.

Also in the next season I don't know if others remember this but there was a 10,000 crowd and Rowan Alexander scored one of the best goals I've seen in a 1-1 draw at home.