Plan B if Del Goes

Totally agree but I'm interested to see if anyone can make an intellectual argument for it or is it just because, "He's well a Saintee like, he pure hates Scumdee, eh? The boy's a legend like etc.."

I would certainly hope that no one would use any of those reasons unless they had the intellect of a complete moron!

To be honest, I can't really think of any good reason either apart from he gets a perfect view of how the team work together.

Now thats clutching at straws....

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he would need a good assisstant to be a good manager, imo he would have the respect of the players and he would get the players to follow his every instruction. I don't know what like he'd be tactically wise but I think given time he could do a good job for us

I would certainly hope that no one would use any of those reasons unless they had the intellect of a complete moron!

To be honest, I can't really think of any good reason either apart from he gets a perfect view of how the team work together.

Now thats clutching at straws....

Dont think Alzo is manager material!! not at saints anyway!! having said that i would not have predicted Del would get the job!!! so what the feck do i know?!!!:laugh::laugh:

I think the fact that the chairman went for McInnes shows how high a regard he was held in. Remember that when Stark left, GB moved immediately to say he didn't believe in promoting from within and that Mixu and/or Jim Weir wouldn't be considered.

Del had done his coaching badges in his mid-twenties and was forever taking notes etc... about management. Although we maybe weren't fully aware at the time, he was an obvious candidate for the job and when the board decided they wanted continuity, he was the easy choice.

Continuity comes quite far down the list of priorites though and there are far more important attributes a potential manager needs to possess. In short, I don't think anyone on the current staff is equipped for the job and I include Tony Docherty in that.

I wouldn't be surprised if McInnes recommended his mate Brian Reid at Ayr United. He's done a decent job there. I thought Michael O'Neill was doing well at Brechin, although he's obviously at Shamrock Rovers now. After that, I can't see many candidates in the lower leagues. Ian McCall isn't a bad manager but isn't for Saints IMO.

Of the usual suspects that are out of work, John Robertson is the only one that I could stomach I think. Of the more recently available managers, Mixu wouldn't be the end of the world. I think most folk thought he'd be a success at Hibs.

Of course, maybe the board will look for a young rookie like Coyle and McInnes and surprise us.

Del had done his coaching badges in his mid-twenties and was forever taking notes etc... about management. Although we maybe weren't fully aware at the time, he was an obvious candidate for the job and when the board decided they wanted continuity, he was the easy choice.

He is very similar to Geoff, I imagine there is a huge degree of mutual respect. He was also aloof as a player and that is very important.

Continuity comes quite far down the list of priorites though and there are far more important attributes a potential manager needs to possess. In short, I don't think anyone on the current staff is equipped for the job and I include Tony Docherty in that.

Why do you doubt Tony Doc?

First two names that came to mind after reading an e-mail that Del is on the West Brom radar were Ian McCall and Alex Rae.

For a start, I know neither are particularly well liked at Saints, but who can deny McCall has done very well with Thistle this season and has experience of the SPL. Alex Rae is someone very much in a Coyle and McInnes mould in that he got very into the management/coaching side of things to help him get over his personal problems and has done a lot of scouting and observing since - I personally think he could be an excellent choice.

Calderwood would be the top shout of managers currently available, however he has already said he is unlikely to have his next job in Scotland and whether he'd want to step back down a level in footballing terms would be up for question in addition to whether we could afford him.

Alan Moore? He has done well at stirling on no money and was pissed off when del got the job after coyle left.

We are not in the first division anymore!! Need to aim a bit higher than having him. Personally I would never want to see him in the home dug out at our ground!

How to contradict yourself in the space of one post!!!

How about Maurice Malpas? :twisted:

The most important thing is that the person is St Johnstone minded. :rolleyes:

I'd worry a bit about wee Moorie in case it all went tits up as it did with JC. Calderwood, McCall and Rae are absolute nos as far as I'm concerned, in fact I'd find it really difficult to turn up on a Saturday if either of the latter two got it. They are a pair of wee shites.

You dont rate what alan moore has done?

McCall has already proved he is not good enough for SPL level.

I think Moorey has done alright with Stirling, but I also think that you have contradicted yourself in saying we are not a First Division club and need to aim a bit higher than Ian McCallyet putting Alan Moore's name forward as one of your preferred options - it doesn't make sense......

McCall would be a decent shout at doing what is required in our first season up - finishing at worst 11th. My main concern with McCall is that the football becomes worse than the play we have seen in good spells this season (well from the games I saw this season), but in the long term he knows how to work to a tight budget (a tick in GB's boxsheet) and can pick out some good players to bring in to the club.

Looking at the list of managers that we could reasonably expect to go for:

Mixu Paatelainen - available

John Robertson - available

Alex Rae - available

Ian McCall - currently at Thistle and potentially signing a new 3 year contract to increase the compensation fee

Terry Butcher - currently at Inverness

Maurice Malpas - assistant at Inverness - NOTE I AM NOT ADVOCATING HIM TO BE THE NEW MANAGER!!!!

Gordon Chisholm - currently at Queens

Paul Hegarty - in limbo as currently suspended by Livi so not necessarily available due to legal ramifications

John McGlynn - currently at Raith Rovers

Anyone else? Apart from John Hartson!!!!!

Calderwood, McCall and Rae are absolute nos as far as I'm concerned, in fact I'd find it really difficult to turn up on a Saturday if either of the latter two got it. They are a pair of wee shites.

Calderwood has shown himself to be a good SPL manager and willing to use the loan market and connections with English clubs to bring in some excellent young players like Aluko and Vidal. Got lucky with some of the players from the youth set-up he inherited but overall did a good job in the league, he just couldn't get to a cup final!!!

As for the other 2, just because "they are a pair of wee shites" doesn't mean they wouldn't do a good job for us? Surely the important thing is that the club succeeds and gets the person best suited for the current situation?

Of course, all this is hyperbole as Del will be staying and Darren Ferguson becomes the new Baggies boss (as long as the new Baggies boss isn't Pardew or Curbishley!).