Cowdenbeath v Saints 28/07/09

HertsSaintee

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

missed out........wonderful ground.....lovely wooden seats adorned with little wood lice...no wonder folk stand-unless it rains......met soulful one season on the way to and from the pie-shop.....but he wont know the scarlett pimpernell that lurked furtively waiting for the watered down mato sauce......kinda ground you can pick up spare parts for your vehicle following the stocky car idiots.

Roll on Saturday and the barriers at stenny.

That was horrible. Couldn't string 3 passes together, insisted on playing the ball in the air instead of on the deck in terrible winds, a shambles at the back.

I hope we don't get found out next week.

101 was quoted saying "we were as sloppy as a prostitutes axe wound" .. lovely thought. Not far from the truth though.

Few positives to take, one being midgies first half performance, sammy getting stuck in and the boys not being frightened to have a dig. Also peanuts ball a graingers cross for the second, best 2 touches of the game

Edited by The Inspiration

enjoyed the game even tho it was mostly route 1 stuff; danny grainger impressed me as did the doc when he came on- he won alot o balls nd is a really gd target man etc. Rusty was poor even tho he scored a goal (his long range balls were terrible minus 1 nd i thought his touch was fairly poor as well) but hopefully his injury isn't too bad-he had to come off 15mins before the end o the 1st half. Sammy should o scored when the ball was laid on the plate by savo but blasted it straight at their keeper in the 2nd half. Great ball by sheerin for our 2nd goal when he released liam, i think, and tbh we looked a better side when he was on the pitch. Nt the worst game i've ever seen and i now can't wait till the season begins:)

Ok, so we maybe didn't play as nicely as in Ireland but it's a very small pitch, in hard conditions against a team fighting hard. We still created enough chances, although again squandered a few. Frustrating to lose a goal again when Main hasn't had a save to make.

To pick up on HertsSaintee's team, we were 4-3-3 in the first half I reckon and only switched to 4-4-2 upon Deuchar's introduction. Didn't like Savo in thw wide position, although he did a power of work.

Really liking the look of Danny Grainger and Milnes's linking with Deuchar was a positive. Savo looked very sharp in the latter stages when we changed our shape. Morais was his typical self, he looks dangerous but makes some poor decisions. Thought Morris looked well off the pace for most of the match.

In terms of chances, there wasn't too many in the first half but we had several close things in the second half and David Hay made good saves from Samuel and Deuchar. Stephen Reynolds should have scored his first goal for the senior team in the last minute but couldn't bundle a great Swankie ball over the line.

Onwards to Ochilview.

Was a pretty mundane game with not much action..Better second half. Savos goal was a thing of beauty. Hope Rusty is okay as I feel Gartland aint looking that great. Grainger played well. Morris was PISH first half. Slightly better second half..Look much better up front after The Doc came on.. Shite weather but great to be able to stand and great to see the Edinburgh Saintees represented.. Friendlies are shite..

Bring on the real stuff..

Big positive for me was Murray Davidson. No nonsense in the tackle, sensible when on the ball and looks more than willing to drive on beyond the strikers.

Gartland was rubbish, Jody looked sluggish much of the time, but all in all can't complain too much about the level of performance and commitment from the boys.

Pitch made it a scrappy affiar. Thought we did alright, espically more as the game went on. Some positives; Doc when he came on looked good, savo looked sharp, and a few negatives; Samuel was a bit disappointing, and Gartland had a bit of a nightmare. In terms off Gartland, I really hope theres more to come, as nothing he has done in a saints shirt yet as filled me with confidence that he is good enough to deputise in the SPL. I appricaite this is his first pre-season for a while so I hope he will get better with first team football.

'Horrible' is a little melodramatic, I feel. We weere decent in spells, but if I'm being honest that could have been any of 30 games from last season. When we played it on the deck, we looked dangerous. Garters had a bit of a 'mare, falling over the ball and didn't really assert hisself as much as I'd've liked. Morris was well, well off the pace and too many stray passes. Morais was decent, a few entertaining runs and a fantastic cross for our first goal.

Concerned about poor Rusty, but he was still walking, so hopefully it's only a bruise/soft tissue damage which will heal up nice and quickly and have little lasting impression.

Grainger was excellent. Great cross (I think) for the second goal, but only thanks to the delightful ball from Sheerin. Neat wee header from Savo, who covered every blade of grass and showed some excellent pace and a few nice wee touches. Craig was okay. Got in about them, and did the gritty work well enough, but never really shone.

Sammy was very disappointing. Poor decision making, and wayward shooting. Not fit enough and looked very lackadaisical. MacKay looked decent, but not as assured as Irvine ever did.

Deuchar looked very good. If he had but a little faster reflexes he could have had a goal or two, but he was caught cold. He looks about 9 foot when he jumps, though, and is obviously a far better player than Holmes was.

MOM for me was Grainger, by a mile. Excellent to have a LB, and a very strong one at that. I give that performance 6/10 for the team as a whole. Grainger gets 8.

Not disastrous, but still a lot of work to do before saturday.

Pitch made it a scrappy affiar. Thought we did alright, espically more as the game went on. Some positives; Doc when he came on looked good, savo looked sharp, and a few negatives; Samuel was a bit disappointing, and Gartland had a bit of a nightmare. In terms off Gartland, I really hope theres more to come, as nothing he has done in a saints shirt yet as filled me with confidence that he is good enough to deputise in the SPL. I appricaite this is his first pre-season for a while so I hope he will get better with first team football.

I agree Neil.I have this nagging doubt about Gartland,I hope he proves me

wrong but at the moment he does not look SPL quality.

Last season he had the excuse of being burnt out. If he doesn't impress in the first few games I have a growing concern that we will be quite vulnerable at the back if Rusty or McCaff gets knocked. Also; anyone else notice how much louder McCaff was tonight? Last season he was almost silent most games and Rusty took charge, tonight McCaff was acting as team crier.

Sloppy play, no leaders on show and I really wish I saw this great performance from Grainger. Yeah he put in a decent cross but his overall performance was far from polished; against poor opposition. Please note that I fully endorsed his signing and fully support him as a great signing. I am not in anyway slating the players ability, I just thought he was average tonight.

Overall our pre-season has gone horribly wrong again. We need to play good teams and get some sharpness. We will toil on Saturday.

Can someone please explain how Mooner looked so much better than anyone else tonight despite having hardly trained since May? Jody Morris, hang your head in shame.

101 - don't talk pish. In what way has it gone horribly wrong? We've won most of our games and we are still a good two and a half weeks from our first league match. In that time we will play one competitive match and a match against an EPL team, as well as (undoubtably) several bounce matches.

The main reason we couldn't get the ball down particularly much was the pitch - it was tiny, crowded and not a great surface. The ball bobbled along it and central midfielders especially had no chance of taking a touch before being tackled.

Grainger (IMO) played pretty well - rarely giving the ball away and making himself available, as well as defending pretty well. Excellent cross for the goal.

When did Mooner come on? Was he introduced just before Cowdenbeath's goal or earlier? If earlier, I don't know where you're getting this head and shoulders above everyone else stuff from - there were no stand-outs. Morris didn't have a very good game though.

I'm not saying we played brilliantly - we didn't - but bear in mind that 1 - its a preseason match, 2 - it was on a shocker of a pitch against a team who did not much more than chase us round all night, 3 - we never looked like conceding and 4 - we are stepping up the opposition ahead of SPL football.

Sloppy play, no leaders on show and I really wish I saw this great performance from Grainger. Yeah he put in a decent cross but his overall performance was far from polished; against poor opposition. Please note that I fully endorsed his signing and fully support him as a great signing. I am not in anyway slating the players ability, I just thought he was average tonight.

Overall our pre-season has gone horribly wrong again. We need to play good teams and get some sharpness. We will toil on Saturday.

Can someone please explain how Mooner looked so much better than anyone else tonight despite having hardly trained since May? Jody Morris, hang your head in shame.

Doomed, doomed i tell you:cool: