Heavy handed stewards at Parkhead??

MUZZ

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was one of the victims of the heavy handed stewards/polis on Saturday.

It was a total joke, Polis had told us about 5 minutes into the game that we had to sit down etc, which we did, however when Sammy got our goal, we turned round to the Sellick support to give them a bit of abuse, like the rest of the Saints support - next thing we know the Noose and myself are surrounded by about 4 polis and stewards getting told we are getting kicked out for antagonising the home support!

Was a bit of a joke, considering we done nothing, but i aint going to kick off about it, as it happens to the opposition fans at McDiarmid during most games as well. Things like what happened to us, are just another reason why less folk are willing to attend the football these days.

Look on the brightside though, i only witnessed us conceeding 2 goals on Saturday, plus i got an extra 45 minutes in the pub!

I was one of the victims of the heavy handed stewards/polis on Saturday.

It was a total joke, Polis had told us about 5 minutes into the game that we had to sit down etc, which we did, however when Sammy got our goal, we turned round to the Sellick support to give them a bit of abuse, like the rest of the Saints support - next thing we know the Noose and myself are surrounded by about 4 polis and stewards getting told we are getting kicked out for antagonising the home support!

Was a bit of a joke, considering we done nothing!

You turned to the Celtic supporters, by your own admission, to 'give them a bit of abuse' and were subsequently thrown out for 'antagonising the home support'. They threw you out for doing something you admitted you did, so you were hardly thrown out for doing 'nothing', were you? Whether you think antagonising the home support is an offence worthy of being ejected is one thing, but you can hardly say you did nothing to merit being chucked out because you've already told us you did!

You turned to the Celtic supporters, by your own admission, to 'give them a bit of abuse' and were subsequently thrown out for 'antagonising the home support'. They threw you out for doing something you admitted you did, so you were hardly thrown out for doing 'nothing', were you? Whether you think antagonising the home support is an offence worthy of being ejected is one thing, but you can hardly say you did nothing to merit being chucked out because you've already told us you did!

Ah my good friend the "whiter than white" Saintsam strikes again.

What point are you trying to make here exactly?

Ah my good friend the "whiter than white" Saintsam strikes again.

What point are you trying to make here exactly?

My point is pretty self explanatory. You are moaning that you were chucked out of Celtic Park by 'heavy handed stewards' for doing 'nothing' after admitting that you turned to the home fans to 'give them some abuse' after we scored and were subsequently thrown out for 'antagonising home fans'. If turning to the home fans and giving them abuse is not antagonising them, then I don't know what is. As a result, you were chucked out for doing something, not for doing nothing. As I say, whether you think antagonising the home fans is worthy of being ejected is another argument all together. There were plenty of Saints fans who managed to keep themselves in Celtic Park and enjoy the full game on Saturday.

I hear what you're saying Sam but let's be honest, the vast majority of Saints fans were antagonising the Celtic fans at certain points in the game. Just like many of the nearby Celtic fans were antagonising us. It's part of being a football fan isn't it? Isn't it?!

My point is pretty self explanatory. You are moaning that you were chucked out of Celtic Park by 'heavy handed stewards' for doing 'nothing' after admitting that you turned to the home fans to 'give them some abuse' after we scored and were subsequently thrown out for 'antagonising home fans'. If turning to the home fans and giving them abuse is not antagonising them, then I don't know what is. As a result, you were chucked out for doing something, not for doing nothing. As I say, whether you think antagonising the home fans is worthy of being ejected is another argument all together. There were plenty of Saints fans who managed to keep themselves in Celtic Park and enjoy the full game on Saturday.

Whilst i can see where your argument is coming from, i think the main question here, as you mention, is whether or not antagonising the oppostion supporters merits being ejected from the ground? In this case, even althought i am biased, as it was me involved, i would suggest not. I would be more than willing to admit i was in the wrong, if i had been shouting sectarian abuse, but to be kicked out for merely turning round to the Sellick support and celebrating is a total joke.

Anyway as i stated in my orginal post, i am not overly bothered by what happened. It is to be expected in modern football, whereby nowadays it is frowned upon to swear, celebrate or even attempt to get any kind of 'banter' going with the opposing fans.

I hear what you're saying Sam but let's be honest, the vast majority of Saints fans were antagonising the Celtic fans at certain points in the game. Just like many of the nearby Celtic fans were antagonising us. It's part of being a football fan isn't it? Isn't it?!

Well said Chav Meister. That was the one thing that did actually bother me, was the double standards in not kicking out the Celtic fans, for doing the same if not worse than what the Saints fan were doing.

Exactly, it's a lot of shoite and that's exactly what winds folk up when they see the other side being let off the hook for the same thing. The stewards really don't help themselves in this respect. They seem to aggravate the situation more. We see it all the time with away fans at McD. If they just left them to stand and sing there wouldn't be any problems but they have to approach them and wind them all up!

Exactly, it's a lot of shoite and that's exactly what winds folk up when they see the other side being let off the hook for the same thing. The stewards really don't help themselves in this respect. They seem to aggravate the situation more. We see it all the time with away fans at McD. If they just left them to stand and sing there wouldn't be any problems but they have to approach them and wind them all up!

Trouble is the stewards are told by your "polis commanders" that sit in a closed box watching everyone on cctv - they enforce the "health and safety " aspects and whether we like it or not.....standing up has been regarded as "infringing" health and safety....thats why we have an "all seater" stadium....stewards (good or bad) are in a no win stuation.

I am guilty of "adrenalin filled" moments where i am out of my seat as many others are.

I also agree that several tic fans had repeated warnings and allowed to remain.

I had no issues with the stewards down the front, the issue I have is paying £25 for an unrestricted tkt and being in row B and you had to sit at an angle to see up the pitch therefore blocking the people at the side of me, you also couldnt see the corner so you had to watch on the big screen. I am diasbled and therefore cant sit looking up due to my neck being fecked. It is a ground I wont be going back too.

Trouble is the stewards are told by your "polis commanders" that sit in a closed box watching everyone on cctv - they enforce the "health and safety " aspects and whether we like it or not.....standing up has been regarded as "infringing" health and safety....thats why we have an "all seater" stadium....stewards (good or bad) are in a no win stuation.

I am guilty of "adrenalin filled" moments where i am out of my seat as many others are.

I also agree that several tic fans had repeated warnings and allowed to remain.

The one bit that really wound me us was being told to sit down at Sammy's goal by a steward who said - "Its not us its the SPL's rules." Can anyone explain an SPL rule that doesn't have the prior approval of the clubs, led of course by the old firm, anyone remember how the SPL came into existence and if the old firm played any role.

Name an SPL rule that Celtic have played no part in, now there's a challenge for you?

The one bit that really wound me us was being told to sit down at Sammy's goal by a steward who said - "Its not us its the SPL's rules." Can anyone explain an SPL rule that doesn't have the prior approval of the clubs, led of course by the old firm, anyone remember how the SPL came into existence and if the old firm played any role.

Name an SPL rule that Celtic have played no part in, now there's a challenge for you?

definately not SPL rules although they would have had to ratify it.....the health and safety goes down to the individual police commander at each ground........prime example.......cancellation of a cup-tie at McD due to a row of lights in the Main stand flickering on and off........was the polis that said it couldnt go ahead..................think the stewards are looking for excuses,

Not one to easily come to the defence of stewards anywhere, I have to say, we must have been pretty lucky down the front.. Plenty singing, plenty celebrating, plenty standing up and plenty of banter/shouting/ abuse throwing with the mongers to our left, ( Saint Kev being in great form for the entire match) and the stewards and polis were pretty good. I think I saw one guy get a wee whisper in his ear and that was about it.. They seemed fairly relaxed with us..

I said to myself all the way through that I was going to remain calm and keep myself quiet, but as soon as I started seeing scores of Perth folk in Celtic gear, my piss started to boil and I couldn't shut up!!

Only issue I had was the stewards and polis getting in the way... but they didn't react too badly to getting told to get out of the way!

SaintSam, why you are attempting to be a smartarse over this is beyond me, so please keep your patronising drivel to yourself.

Football always has and always will be a very passionate sport, and part of the experience is the interaction with the opposing support. Being warned for "singing to the home fans" is an absolute joke, and should be condoned in any reasonable nation. Ultimately, being papped out for "over celebrating a goal" defeats the point of paying my £22 in the first place. I will never conform to a simple stand up, clap and sit down again celebration, because it is supporters who conceed to this bollocks that are promoting the sterilisation of this once great game and day out. It's hardly crime of the century now is it?

The fact we were warned is besides the point, it's the stand that the stewards take against away fans at Parkhead, McDiarimid and anywhere else, that is unfair and unjust.

Edited by Noose76

SaintSam, why you are attempting to be a smartarse over this is beyond me, so please keep your patronising drivel to yourself.

Football always has and always will be a very passionate sport, and part of the experience is the interaction with the opposing support. Being warned for "singing to the home fans" is an absolute joke, and should be condoned in any reasonable nation. Ultimately, being papped out for "over celebrating a goal" defeats the point of paying my £22 in the first place. I will never conform to a simple stand up, clap and sit down again celebration, because it is supporters who conceed to this bollocks that are promoting the sterilisation of this once great game and day out. It's hardly crime of the century now is it?

The fact we were warned is besides the point, it's the stand that the stewards take against away fans at Parkhead, McDiarimid and anywhere else, that is unfair and unjust.

You were the scapegoat noose. Throw a few out and rest will behave is their mentality. when we scored I had the wee one above my head, at their supporters kssing the badge on his strip and was probably no worse than you, or anyone else. I was actually only one seat away from the line of defence so could argue I was even worse placed. Its a sad state of affairs but it where we are....

definately not SPL rules although they would have had to ratify it.....the health and safety goes down to the individual police commander at each ground........prime example.......cancellation of a cup-tie at McD due to a row of lights in the Main stand flickering on and off........was the polis that said it couldnt go ahead..................think the stewards are looking for excuses,

...The amount of ill-feeling this issue stokes up at grounds across Scotland is beyond belief.

Almost every forum in Scotland has variations of this debate. Saints have at least acknowledged the problem at McD but overall it seems that the authorities - and certainly match commanders - are simply out of touch with the experience of passionate fans, who assocuate being able to sing, chant and have a party as party of their day out.

Boisterous support is as much a lifeblood of football as season-tickets or match programmes and chasing away or alienating enthusiastic fans is a long term mistake.

Great post, Soulful.

If fans are jumping on seats and seriously intimidating opposing fans then the plod would be justified in throwing people out, but when it's nothing more than phallic related gesticulation, singing songs in context of the goings on on the pitch and jumping about like a bit of a tit, then what harm is it doing to anyone. Perfect example of this was the 1-1 draw with Thistle at McDiarmid when both sets of fans clapped each other out at the end of the match.

...The amount of ill-feeling this issue stokes up at grounds across Scotland is beyond belief.

Almost every forum in Scotland has variations of this debate. Saints have at least acknowledged the problem at McD but overall it seems that the authorities - and certainly match commanders - are simply out of touch with the experience of passionate fans, who assocuate being able to sing, chant and have a party as party of their day out.

Boisterous support is as much a lifeblood of football as season-tickets or match programmes and chasing away or alienating enthusiastic fans is a long term mistake.

Totally agree......perhaps it needs an area match commander to be invited onto a radio/tv show to explain why they cannot allow fans to celebrate in the manner we have all mentioned -I was sitting in front of Mike and can say that i was hacked off with the attitude of Stewards and Polis who threw our fans out and allowed several tic fans to remain despite their chants and use of certain hand movements,as well as numerous warnings......infact the same wee shite was still goading saints fans as they left the ground and was ignored by the horse brigade and foot soldiers.