Can't believe it Vaasa decade ago

Radford 72

Ahh the memories of leaving work in Dyce and jumping into my mates car with him and my missus. On route stopped off to get a few cans of the golden brew only for my mate to then get done for doing 95mph. Got to McD in time for kick off but only just, we got back to Dyce just in time for last orders in the Spiders.

Those were the days!

Oh Mighuel.... A great double.

I had this little keyring that you could record sound bites on too, got home from the match and caught the end of the radio footage, so recorded they commentary for both goals and had that on my keys for about a year after.

I pray that i will have the chance to see saints again in Europe (home or away) again in my lifetime

brother just told me he was there, he was only six and can still remember it. missed the first ten minutes at mcdiarmid was heavin. east stand was jumpin.
Funny you say that. I was in the mainstand that day but was a season ticket holder in the east. Can anyone offer a reason for that? My memory is sketchy! and I was bloody 20!!!

I was back in the east for the Monaco game.

Monaco at McDiarmid was the best game I've ever been to, hands down. And it was some side Monaco had at the time - off the top of my head...

Barthez

Christinval

Legwinski

Trezeguet

Prso

Djetou

Simone

...plus east stand was rockin'. I was in the very back row (W54 to be exact) and folk stood behind us coz they couldnae get any seats and had to duck everytime a barsteward came near. Good times.

Time flies.

I have vague memories of a fan-novel written by a Saints fan, the title was "Is Any **** Goin Tae Vassa" - I've not read it in years has anyone still got a copy? Who wrote it and are they still on WAP?

Ps Moderators. Not tryiong to pose a moderation problem here. The word "****" was used in its proper editorial context - it was the title of the novel. So I am using it in its unedited form and without asterisks, for the purposes of accuracy rather than to offend.

I'm sure no one on this site would wish to expose young readers to inaccuracies.

Time flies.

I have vague memories of a fan-novel written by a Saints fan, the title was "Is Any **** Goin Tae Vassa" - I've not read it in years has anyone still got a copy? Who wrote it and are they still on WAP?

Ps Moderators. Not tryiong to pose a moderation problem here. The word "****" was used in its proper editorial context - it was the title of the novel. So I am using it in its unedited form and without asterisks, for the purposes of accuracy rather than to offend.

I'm sure no one on this site would wish to expose young readers to inaccuracies.

...however your submission protocol defaults to asterisks and thus I have been duped into spreading inaccuracies.

Best trip ever... Vaasa was like somewhere like Aberfeldy in size with the square in the middle, so imagine the difference 300 mad Saintees made on the place. We were like celebrities. Unlike Aberfeldy though, the women were amazing, and they chased us!!!

We never ran very fast!

I still have the badge from the return - and recall standing in wonder at the UEFA flag waving over the West Stand.

No, I wasn't in Finland, but was dragged to watch a Soweto dance troupe dancing in wellies at the festival. They were great to watch, but never heard a thing as the radio ear phone was on too loud.

Mrs Buck was scunnert.

Best trip ever... Vaasa was like somewhere like Aberfeldy in size with the square in the middle, so imagine the difference 300 mad Saintees made on the place. We were like celebrities. Unlike Aberfeldy though, the women were amazing, and they chased us!!!

We never ran very fast!

Playing football outside the pub in the main street (obligatory Irish bar IIRC) until some local ran over it. Vaguely remember some martian type blow up thing being hung from the scaffold.

Strongest memory of the whole trip was Friday night in Helsinki, roof top bar about 30 storey's up and some locals thinking it was hilarious to drop their empty glasses to the street below!!!! Frightening

By the way Kev nearly five and a half thoosand posts, get a real job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Playing football outside the pub in the main street (obligatory Irish bar IIRC) until some local ran over it. Vaguely remember some martian type blow up thing being hung from the scaffold.

... the martian was a mock up of Paul Sturrock and had a slogan written on his front something about Saints in Europe.

Just remembered Alex McLeish, the then Hibs boss, taking a bit of good natured banter from the saintees at Schipol airport and the look of relief on his face when first class passengers were called forward, only to fall again when he saw us all getting on the plane with only a curtain between first and second class seats. Cue more slaggings for the whole flight

By the way Kev nearly five and a half thoosand posts, get a real job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't access the forum at work :sad:

O'Malley's Irish bar and you can still get a St Johnstone special... a whisky and pint:cool:

The martian's main appearance was get hoisted up the flag pole in the square!! We took down the Swedish flag and put the alien and a Saints flag instead. I saw lots of shoppers looking funny and then hurridly leaving, so I assumed we had offended them, however they were soon back with cameras and getting us to pose for them... absolutely magic!

Then onto Johnny Fontana's nightclub for some cheesy euro-pop... nice!

Only downside of the trip, was arriving (the first Saintees to do so) and being met by a reporter who interviewed us. We got the equivalent of the PA with us starring on the front page... everything was good until we got it translated... "I was expecting big, ginger, hairy men with kilts and bag-pipes, instead they looked more like computer geeks!"

Harsh but fair!

Monaco at McDiarmid was the best game I've ever been to, hands down. And it was some side Monaco had at the time - off the top of my head...

Barthez

Christinval

Legwinski

Trezeguet

Prso

Djetou

Simone

...plus east stand was rockin'. I was in the very back row (W54 to be exact) and folk stood behind us coz they couldnae get any seats and had to duck everytime a barsteward came near. Good times.

John Arne Riise played in that game aswell.

Best ever trip(scotland inc).Hello to the campsite crew.(porkys).This is the only thing we talk about still 10 years on when we are together and had a few.I know that the person who wrote the (Vassa story) names changed to protect the many, still has a copy,although it may stay away.He is in the photo hard left with pipes(jeanfield flag photo). We are in talks of a get together soon to mull over it again so to . Forestgump,man in chains,the aliens father,bag o veg,firestarter,the boat boys,doon a hole,dargy,axe man,6ft blond,mikesbottle,and hand job. Thank-you.