Old Perth - Picture Thread

25e Ainslie Place

20170411_204653.jpg

Ian Rodger, centre front row, once got himself sent off by mistake.  Went in hard on the opposition goalie and in the usual face off with their defenders the referee, trying to calm things down, told him to "get up the pitch".  Ian thought he said "off" and duly walked off unnoticed with the attention being on the goalmouth.  Those were the days before red cards.

As ever great pics Chips. 

Great photos.  The one above - back row l to r:Jimmy Woodcock (right back),  Willie Clark (left back). Roy McLaren, ?, ?, and Archie Baird.  Front: Billy Steel, Ernie Ewen, Ian Rodger, Billy Hodgson and Joe Carr.  Woodcock was moved to centre half for a few games, and one wonders how many goals were lost at corners.  Left back Willie Clark came from Hibs (and may have played for them pre WWII) - he only died within the last couple of years.  Can anyone fill in the blanks?

Great photos.  The one above - back row l to r:Jimmy Woodcock (right back),  Willie Clark (left back). Roy McLaren, ?, ?, and Archie Baird.  Front: Billy Steel, Ernie Ewen, Ian Rodger, Billy Hodgson and Joe Carr.  Woodcock was moved to centre half for a few games, and one wonders how many goals were lost at corners.  Left back Willie Clark came from Hibs (and may have played for them pre WWII) - he only died within the last couple of years.  Can anyone fill in the blanks?

Here is a list of those who played that season . See if you get the missing names.

GOALKEEPERS- McLaren,  Budd,  Park, Hanson, Copeland.  OUTFIELD- Woodcock, Fraser, Montgomery, McFadyen, McIntyre, Palmer, Fallon, Mcleod, Clark, Ewen, Robertson, Mc Niven, Riddick, Clarkson, Menzies, McDermid, Baird, Goldie, McKenzie, Doig, Pinkerton, Kerr, Cruickshank, Baillie, Steel, Hodgson, Russell, Rodger, Whitelaw, Landles, McDonald, Scullion, Shaw, Carr.

Some of the above only played 1 or 2 games, others filled various positions in the team, due to injury, suspensions, prior to the introduction of subs.

Apologies if any names are omitted.

It wasn't unusual to see an injured full back get patched up and play on, to finish the game on the left wing.

Edited by HOODLUM65

Here is a list of those who played that season . See if you get the missing names.

GOALKEEPERS- McLaren,  Budd,  Park, Hanson, Copeland.  OUTFIELD- Woodcock, Fraser, Montgomery, McFadyen, McIntyre, Palmer, Fallon, Mcleod, Clark, Ewen, Robertson, Mc Niven, Riddick, Clarkson, Menzies, McDermid, Baird, Goldie, McKenzie, Doig, Pinkerton, Kerr, Cruickshank, Baillie, Steel, Hodgson, Russell, Rodger, Whitelaw, Landles, McDonald, Scullion, Shaw, Carr.

Some of the above only played 1 or 2 games, others filled various positions in the team, due to injury, suspensions, prior to the introduction of subs.

It wasn't unusual to see an injured full back get patched up and play on, to finish the game on the left wing.

Dougie Copeland from Scone?

My first thought for the guy next to McLaren was Charlie McFadyen and as he is on your list I'll go for him.  I thought Gerry Follon for the other one but I think 54/55 is too soon for him.

My first thought for the guy next to McLaren was Charlie McFadyen and as he is on your list I'll go for him.  I thought Gerry Follon for the other one but I think 54/55 is too soon for him.

Not Charlie I'm afraid.

You"ll see him in Chips other pic when Bill Taylor was the keeper. The wee guy in the back row left, with the wavy hair.

When Silk played the Sally around 1975. I think Chang is the bouncer..

20170409_211153.jpg

Saw Slik two or three times. the Sally was always rammed when they played.

The Sally had a flexible under 18's policy, Thursday or Sunday night loads of under 18's got in, Friday Saturday much stricter especially when they had a well known band on.

Big Bill Thomson was always fair, some of the other door staff not so accommodating.

The Strand was very strict on under 18's , But I preferred the Sally.

Pints in the Sally were pretty crap Skol lager and tartan special were the stable diet but at least they were served in a proper glasses.The ones with the handles were the most popular.!!

The nip glasses were like lethal weapons about half inch thick solid base  , vodka and lime or orange were all the rave and if you wanted something exotic you put black currant in your lager.

Fighting broke out almost every Saturday scurmishes on the dance floor and full on toe to toe in the bog. The bouncers used to rush to the bog Enmass  to break it up.

sometimes it would spill out onto south street and the cops would sort it out, beyond that Hospital Street was where post Sally scores were settled. Folk would sit on the wall at the back of the County hotel and all sorts went on.Polis in Hospital Street every Thursday to Sunday night.

The Sally served pretty crap burger rolls from a wee hatch next to the bog.

Some braw memories from the Sally.