Old Perth - Picture Thread

25e Ainslie Place

3 hours ago, cristo said:

At first glance looks like Auschwitz or something. Zoomed in to find the Northern District Primary School I think?

Could not place it at first but you are spot on.  Muirton Place was a favorite parking spot of mine for Muirton Park but it still did not register!

On 6/22/2020 at 12:04 PM, sleepless said:

Thanks to Chips for posting this. I got really interested in this story and researched it in the Archives in Edinburgh and in the local papers. I've written a novel based on the story which will be published by Ringwood Publishing later this year.

I assume I’m getting a name-check on page 1 again?

12 hours ago, Ginger Bakers rebel army said:

Is that where the City Mills Hotel was built? 

Thought it might be the right hand side of Paul St. entering off High St. and heading towards the Foundry at the end of the road.

West Mill St. Car Park there now.

Gas light on the corner & turn right into West Mill St.

13 hours ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Thought it might be the right hand side of Paul St. entering off High St. and heading towards the Foundry at the end of the road.

West Mill St. Car Park there now.

Gas light on the corner & turn right into West Mill St.

Really struggled with this one.  Thought it was somewhere in the City Mills area but also wondered about top of Pomarium near where the Bus Station is now.  Convinced that your are right though, can see it now in my mind's eye.  Go to the top of the class but don't take your books you might not be there long.

7 hours ago, south inch said:

Really struggled with this one.  Thought it was somewhere in the City Mills area but also wondered about top of Pomarium near where the Bus Station is now.  Convinced that your are right though, can see it now in my mind's eye.  Go to the top of the class but don't take your books you might not be there long.

Ha ha. Was thinking that could be a tall chimney in the background, long since gone.

If that's the start of a row of houses on the left in Paul St., my Aunt lived there at the Foundry end. She passed away in 1950, but unaware when the houses were demolished. I was very young at the time and never understood  what the Big C was then.

38 minutes ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Ha ha. Was thinking that could be a tall chimney in the background, long since gone.

If that's the start of a row of houses on the left in Paul St., my Aunt lived there at the Foundry end. She passed away in 1950, but unaware when the houses were demolished. I was very young at the time and never understood  what the Big C was then.

Picture looks late 50s/early 60s judging by the car.  Buildings look like they are about to fall down.