Old Perth - Picture Thread

25e Ainslie Place

1 hour ago, Kitchen said:

1662700882_ArialView1945.thumb.jpg.cb60038206febd102b29374d9aff9742.jpg

Arial view 1945, South Inch boating pond, just right of centre.  Train Steaming out of the picture top right hand corner. 

Took me a while to orientate myself to this one but I presume that’s St Leonard’s bridge just left of the station and Edinburgh road towards the bottom. Photos from this era show how important the railway was to Perth’s economy.

2 hours ago, Lochwinnochsaintee said:

Took me a while to orientate myself to this one but I presume that’s St Leonard’s bridge just left of the station and Edinburgh road towards the bottom. Photos from this era show how important the railway was to Perth’s economy.

Yes that’s right, and Perth Prison in the bottom Left Corner. 

1 hour ago, Lochwinnochsaintee said:

If so, would it be the same people who had the Washington cafe in Letham in the ‘60s?

Sorry could not say, I had left Perth by the mid 60s.  I do remember a number of cafes in Perth in the 50s.  The Washington as in the photo, Rendezvous, Scott St., Grosvenor, St. John St and one on the corner of Princes St. and Canal St. whose name escapes me.

There were others, you had to move around since none of the owners were too keen on you sitting for hours nursing a coke or a cup of coffee!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2020 at 11:27 AM, south inch said:

Sorry could not say, I had left Perth by the mid 60s.  I do remember a number of cafes in Perth in the 50s.  The Washington as in the photo, Rendezvous, Scott St., Grosvenor, St. John St and one on the corner of Princes St. and Canal St. whose name escapes me.

There were others, you had to move around since none of the owners were too keen on you sitting for hours nursing a coke or a cup of coffee!

Zucconi family owned the cafe in Princes St.

Think they had another place along the street.