Old Perth - Picture Thread

25e Ainslie Place

11 hours ago, ejksjfc said:

Priory Place.Building on extreme right still there as is very small part of building next door. Is it some of the buildings in this photo that collapsed onto the railway?

Believe that the building is occupied by Strang and McLaggan Funeral Directors.

Also round the corner at Croft Park cottages a murder was committed.

A father was convicted of murdering his schoolgirl daughter.

On 9/24/2020 at 10:35 PM, rickardo said:

Right lads let’s go oot there’s elephants doon the inch  , a saying that will never be repeated , great for the nellys, shit for proper lad hood . I’m sure I seen them early 70s (with maw and paw )passing the station hotel , might have been this parade .

When I was a boy in the late 1950s I can remember my mother taking me to Marshall Place to watch the elephants' parade.  I believe (don't laugh) that the elephants were transported on the railway and paraded from the rail yard near Caledonian Road School to the South Inch via Leonard Street and Marshall Place.  I think the parade was on a Sunday afternoon.  Local lads used to volunteer to assist in erecting the circus big top tent and I think they were paid for their help.

On 9/25/2020 at 9:49 PM, ejksjfc said:

Priory Place.Building on extreme right still there as is very small part of building next door. Is it some of the buildings in this photo that collapsed onto the railway?

Yes. Definitely Priory Place.  The old thatched cottages are in a part known as Carr's Croft..  When I was a boy in the 1950s the building on the extreme right I think was occupied by a painter & decorator's business.  To the right of this building was Sorley's shop.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 9/25/2020 at 6:12 PM, Kitchen said:
On 9/22/2020 at 3:51 PM, chips said:

I seem to remember the Cannons in the early sixtys,  would they be there then ?

The cannon were scrapped for the war effort supposedly. In my book on Rose Terrace I show a photo from the PA in 1940 with the cannon being lifted. 

cannon.jpg

• 5 months later...
30 minutes ago, langside-saint said:

Anyone remember or have any photos of the transport hotels? My dad says there was one at the inch end of Edinburgh Road, but I can only recall one being at the friarton end. 

I think the one at the Friarton end, more or less where Tesco is now, was for railwaymen who had to stay overnight in Perth - footplate men, guards etc.  My father used to stay in the Inverness one quite often.

On 3/22/2017 at 8:13 PM, chips said:

60s but what street ?

60sss.jpg

This is St Pauls Square. To the left of Murdo McLean was Jackie Miller Barbers shop then next to him was to become Bandwagon.          To the right of the Dental Lab was Bob Lackie`s Taxis and then J Ross Fishmonger and right at the corner onto the Old High Street was Gellaty general and hardware store which had tin baths hanging outside. It had so much inside it was the original Tardis. Not much of the square changed apart from the Coucil making the church into an open space.

• 4 months later...
On 11/5/2021 at 10:13 PM, Fair City said:

This is St Pauls Square. To the left of Murdo McLean was Jackie Miller Barbers shop then next to him was to become Bandwagon.          To the right of the Dental Lab was Bob Lackie`s Taxis and then J Ross Fishmonger and right at the corner onto the Old High Street was Gellaty general and hardware store which had tin baths hanging outside. It had so much inside it was the original Tardis. Not much of the square changed apart from the Coucil making the church into an open space.

OMG I got measured for a suit in Murdo Mcleans!!! NOT yesterday :)