Old Perth - Picture Thread

25e Ainslie Place

Thanks.

There used to be a really manky pub just down from where the photographer is standing, guess that is where the happy lady in the furry hat is headed after doing the messages.

Actors from the theatre used to go there to "get close to the roots".

Forgotten the name - anyone remember?

YES your right it was macs bar.

Good picture of the Vennel I was brought up in 11 Scott St when I was a laddie nobody would leave their car in the Vennel it went downhill from when that photo was taken. I think that is Watson's China shop looking down from the High St. There used to be a wee radio shop at the High St end on the right hand side where I used to take the accumulator for our wireless set to get it charged, before we got an electric radio. We used to run down the vennel for a dare when we were laddies. The Vennel school used to put the fear of death into everbody. Happy days:D

Starter for 10.

Name the film this appears in, albeit very briefly.

Follow up question - why was the magnolia tree in the garden special?

The film was Country Dance and starred Peter O'Toole and Sussanah York and was made in 1969. It was adapted from the book Household Ghosts written by James Kennaway from Auchterarder and I believe that Sussanah York was his cousin.

Kennaway later died in a car accident near London.