Old Perth - Picture Thread

25e Ainslie Place

Cracking pics bud brought back memories biancos ,strangeways,lucky white heater, that nutter on the bike with the balaclava , god I'm getting old .

Jock Fayall was some box player. Not a good one, but he kept trying. Can remember often seeing him and his box on the bus to Kirkcaldy. He should have printed tour t-shirts. 

Chips, have you any photos of Leonard St. and Pomarium?

Just having a discussion re this part of the Fair CITY and I guess some of the returning exiles might recall things as they once were.

Leonard St. had Lindsay's butchers, Farquhar's chippie, Dougall's barber shop, Freda McCabe's shop, Spinky's bar, the Rob Roy hotel, the garden machinery shop (Thomsons I believe, not that long gone) and the Garage showroom opposite where the bus station is now.

Remember there were orchards between the Pow and Leonard St. (apparently, horses were stabled in wooden sheds next to the orchards.)

I can recall my parents visiting a friend in the original Pomarium wooden houses, with wooden staircase to the upper property and gas mantles in the "loaby"

Would be  good if anyone has photos they can put on here.

Is the Exchange cafe still in Leonard Street? When i had just started working, the boss's father in law was one of these loudmouth know it all types and kept banging on about the Exchange cafe doing the best bacon rolls in Perth if not the entire world. So I went up and got these bacon rolls but on the way back down the road i took all but a tiny rasher of bacon out of the loudmouth's roll and divvied his bacon up between me and the other printer. He never said a word about the mysterious sudden decline of these amazing Echange cafe rolls.

Our rolls were braw though!